Multiview User Interface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WhiteShadow, May 25, 2015.

1. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

2. coops

coops Banned

It would be easy to do from what i have heard kunos did it in 24hrs it's just not a HIGH enough priority for ISI that they think is needed, which i disagree with 100%. I also believe they will do RIFT b4 this will ever happen.

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Just because it's easy to do something on one engine doesn't mean it's easy on all. The easiest thing I can think of as a short term fix is a scaling option and continue using the display driver for bezel compensation. But the new UI switched from sprite based fonts to truetype which opens up new problems with scaling. I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to make the angle adjustable too. I suspect a multiview UI up to WhiteShadow's expectations wouldn't happen until the UI engine gets a complete overhaul from the ground up.

4. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

iRacing is the only sim I know with true multiview and UI to it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  5. stonec

stonec Registered

AC UI is HTML5 and it runs under different process than the game itself, is probably why they have some restrictions as well with multiview. iRacing only has one UI view with rest of the stuff on website, so task was probably easier for them.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

In terms of the actual gameplay, the driving, etc. RF1 (including SCE, FT, etc.), RF2, AC, and LFS all have "true" multiview as-well. They are all capable of true triple independent viewport rendering (or whatever the proper term is) unlike 99% of videogames, sadly.

Setting up "multiview" may be less user-friendly and slightly more of a hassle with RF than, say, IR, but the end-result - the game's rendering of the actual gameplay itself (the virtual world) - is still just as "true" an independent viewport form of rendering as IR's.

7. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Come on guys rF multiview is 10 years old with minor updates to rF2. It is 3 years ago I read this statement and it may be older then that.

Community Q&A
    A: Yes. I (Joe) am currently working on a complete setup for triple screen including arbitrary angles between screens, bezel correction, and proper FOV based on distance to screens.

I repeat Joe, I am currently working...............

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, you've pasted that post of Joe's many times now. We all know that RF doesn't have the in-game multiview customizability options that IR, AC and (I think) LFS have. 99% of the people on this forum are aware of this. Why do you feel the need to keep repeating yourself? Noone is arguing against you or denying Joe's quote. There's no need to post it or refer to it over and over and over again; we're well-aware of it.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

That quote was from 2013 autumn dev Q&A, obviously he has abandoned developing it, probably due to the things Noel mentioned.

10. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Somehow you make me to feel that I must also copy and paste other post many times. I have explained to you time after time that this statement from you is wrong but you still.............

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

1. First you talked about the U.I. (menus, etc.) being a problem.

Then I said that it's not actually a problem because everything in the U.I. is useable, readable, clickable, etc. even with a resolution of 6000x1080 (5760x1080 + bzl cmpnstn) except a digit or two when/if the in-game framerate counter get's used.

2. Then you said that RF-users aren't able to experience a 1:1-with-real-life-size FOV because the GPU control panel performs the bezel compensation, and because the monitor angle is performed by the user, rather than the game performing both.

In a recent reply to you, I said I'm not sure if you're right or wrong, but rather, I just don't understand how that is - if you're indeed correct - because, in the end, the bezel compensation and monitor angles are still performed, they're just not performed by the game itself, but rather, by the GPU control panel (bzl cmpnstn) and the user (mntr angl).

Again, I didn't say you were necessarily right or wrong, but just that I'm not understanding you.

3. Then you said RF isn't capable of true independent viewports, in-fact, you even said AC isn't capable of it either, and that only IR is.

All I said is that this is incorrect because RF, AC, and LFS are all fully capable of rendering triple independent viewports (AKA "multiview"), it's just that the in-game setup options may be limited or even non-existent with some (eg. RF). However, despite the amount of (or lack of) in-game setup options, the game/graphics engine is still rendering and outputting true triple independent viewports (unlike 99% of videogames, sadly).

12. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Maybe if somebody from ISI would take part in some small tiny way in these discussions, it would not be necessary for things to be so bad tampered all the time, they have all the answers there but they very rarely grace us with their presence.

This guy has been posting away forever like a crazy ass about this multiview, for months not just here and pcars thread, all the usual crowd have been panning him as if he is idiot, and now what do I see? That WhiteShadow has been correct the whole damn time since the start?! What a joke!

Tim comes here sometimes and is always stressing that it is not even part of his job to moderate the forum, and there is nobody else. But ISI is not a one man band, there are quite a lot of people there, there should be some official ISI presence here on this forum to establish the truth of these matters soon as they come up, rather than everybody engaging in these massive brawls for months, where 95% of what gets said is total crap.

I have been here for 2 years, many of us 3 years, there are all these issues like this that just keep getting swept under the carpet - people always say there are bigger priorities. There will ALWAYS be bigger priorities! That's just the way life is, you cannot go around brushing all the bugs and lacking features under the carpet just because something else need doing! Else after many years, I think people are within their rights to be angry.

This sim has been in an unplayable state for me for 25% of the last year, and the year before that was hardly plain sailing neither. Every new build is like a new round of russian roulette. Will you still be left standing after the update? Who knows, if your not it is none of ISI's concern it seems. Your league run is done!

The laughable thing about this, is Spinelli makes the point "There's no need to post it or refer to it over and over and over again; we're well-aware of it." yet that is exactly what has been necessary to overcome the constant slew of incoming crap from, you guessed it, more than anyone Spinelli! ISI could have said right at the start, yes WhiteShadow is correct or no Whiteshadow is wrong!

There is an exclusive clique of assholes on this forum with too much time on their hands! This vigilante group of fanboys dominate the course of discussion on this forum, and make it impossible to to have simple discussion about simple things, just because it is not want they want to hear! I sure as hell hope ISI do not pay much attention to these self appointed ring leaders with regards to the future direction of RF2, for that is the blind leading the blind!

If it really is the case that after all we have had to endure, if WhiteShadow is correct then maybe now is the time for

A) A proper presence from ISI on this forum to give accurate information about these issues.
    B) ISI stop and think about this non stop assault on the future, at the almost total 100% neglect of long standing bugs and missing features which now require a carpet the size of Texas to sweep them all under. Now is time to rebalance their time and place a higher priority on existing issues, too many things brushed under carpet for too long now
    C) Perhaps even publish some road map for the future, so people can see what is and is not happening. But I would not make it cast iron or include an deadlines etc, for the obvious reasons.

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

So are you saying that posting things here over and over is actually productive? RARELY do I see a problem posted on the public forum that hasn't already been pointed out by the internal testers. There are plenty of testers that frequent the public forums and relay any problems that we didn't already spot. Posting over and over doesn't change a thing. Joe obviously knows people want more customization within the game or else he wouldn't have said that in the QnA. Priorities shift. Making a more Multiview friendly UI probably hinges on an entirely new UI which isn't a small task. As Spinelli has pointed out, it works in it's current state. Just as it does for lots of others. Performance has been the biggest issue for multiview which was prioritized and addressed in the last few builds.

Anyways, repeating things over and over is probably counterproductive. I don't know how the ISI devs feel on this topic but as a developer myself (with a small team of 5) I know a lot goes into deciding how we prioritize one task over another. How many people are affected. How important is the feature that is being affected. How much time will it take to fix. Is the bug in a part of the code that is already being completely rewritten there for fixing it just to replace it is a waste. But one of our variables is how much you like the person who is putting in a feature request or bug report. The people that constantly try to bash and insult our devteam (I'm not talking about ISI's devteam) get the shaft sometimes. We are all humans. There is no need for people to be internet tough guys. Hardtohandle, you said you are a developer so I find it hard to believe that you think it is productive to constantly repeat yourself over and over.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Where do you see that he's definitely correct? About which point? He's mentioned at-least 3 different things (see post #11, above) two of which are definitely incorrect (point #s 1 and 3 above) and one that we need confirmation on (point # 2).

What constant slew of crap? What the...?... And what do you mean "you guessed it"? I've tried to contribute so much, and spend so much time and effort, to/with helping people (around here and other forums as-well) with helpful tips to run their games better, buying advice for PC hardware, graphics setup guides, in-depth benchmarks, issues with PC hardware, etc. but according to you I just post a constant slew of crap? Your comments absolutely blow my mind. People like you and comments like yours are the reason why so many people in the world don't bother, or just give-up, trying to help others.

Group of exclusive assholes? Who's being an asshole? Up until your post, noone has been an asshole. What's wrong with you? Listen to yourself.

I'm guessing you're including me as one if these fanboys (please correct me if I'm wrong) which couldn't be further from the truth. I have made many critisicms of RF in the past, including even creating entire threads with the intent to point-out/expose some particular physics flaws. I get hated on and bashed for talking about what I think are some quite-large RF/ISI issues, then the next thing you know I'm an RF/ISI fanboy?? Ok, sure thing.

There was absolutely no reason for that post of yours other than to "freak-out" on, slander, and "fight" people. You come in here guns blazing, in full-on attack mode, ready to start WW3 when we're all just talking. Honestly, the only person displaying all the sorts of negative behaviour/attitude around here - that you alluded to in your post - is you.

15. simforlife2

simforlife2 Registered

I think you should have further clarification of development, problems that already has some time as unfinished rain and away from videos featuring early

16. stonec

stonec Registered

Some ISI devs read the bug section part forum, undersandably they don't read the general forum as it has way too much crap. Anyway, ISI is a one man band regarding multiview, because I'm sure only Joe knows this aspect of game, so if he has higher priorities and doesn't show up here, you probably won't get a detailed answer regardless of how many other devs read this.

17. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

A little OT but I have to say, whatever they have done to improve performance with multiview, I'm not seeing it at all. Turning multiview on still crushes my FPS. I did a test a few weeks ago and then again tonight. Two tracks sampled, back of 20 car grid. FPS drops from 71 to 51 and 75 to 49. I guess some FPS hit is inevitable but that's no different than what I've seen since day one. Am I expecting too much?

18. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I bought my cat an expensive bed........
    He prefers the cardboard box.......

19. Emery

Emery Registered

Turn AA down one notch and FPS will come up to a playable level.

20. coops

coops Banned

tyvm noel you are so right as usual