Multiple Server Instances issue

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Richard Male, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Richard Male

Richard Male Registered

I have a dedicated server happily running on a spare computer. I have followed the instructions on setting up 2 additional instances (Practice and hotlap). All run fine side by side, however, only the original instance appears in the server list. With all 3 running its the original one that runs fine. I can shut that one down and try and run either of the other ones but neither appear in the server list. I have rechecked the setup instructions and compared multiplayer.json files and cant see an issue. Any suggestions??

2. Richard Male

Richard Male Registered

Forgot to add, i have added additional ports to router and checked them with an external test site.

3. trichens

trichens Registered

Hi Richard,
    I have multiple instances running on the same hardware with no issues.
    I'd suspect a port configuration issue in the multiplayer.json files ( or is it the player.json file? Server is turned off so I can't check )

On my setup the router forwards:
    for dedi server 1
    54297 tcp + udp
    64297 tcp
    64298 udp
    64299 udp
    and the multiplayer.json has
    "Simulation Port": 54297,
    "HTTP Server Port": 64297,

for dedi server 2
    54298 tcp + udp
    64300 tcp
    64301 udp
    64302 udp
    and the multiplayer.json has
    "Simulation Port": 54298,
    "HTTP Server Port": 64300,

That all seems to work OK for me and both servers show up in the server lists.
    Server will be back on tomorrow so I can check then to see the exact config.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  4. Richard Male

Richard Male Registered

Thanks for your reply. I haven't added separate lines in the router for port forwarding as it allow the use of comma's. i also didn't add additional ports for Steam (wasn't sure they were needed, are they?). I only made two changes in the multiplayer file, being the sim port and http port. I have made no changes in the player.ini file. Given when i test the ports externally when servers are running they appear as open, i am thinking it must be to do with some information that is or isn't getting out the the multiplayer list server.

5. trichens

trichens Registered

Just checked the files and I just changed the MultiPlayer.json files as far as I can see.
    Fired them both up

upload_2021-2-5_19-33-57.png

and they show on the server lists OK
    https://fun4all.lt/serverlist/rF2.php shows them as below

upload_2021-2-5_19-32-26.png

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  6. Richard Male

Richard Male Registered

OK. so i fired them up and both appear on fun4all but only open cockpit appears in rfactor Capture.PNG image0.jpg server list. That's the bit I find odd. Does the offical server list on let one server to be listed from each IP address? Although I do see servers which look to be from the same group .

7. trichens

trichens Registered

So you are showing ports 64297 and 64298 in use.
    But if I've read it right the instance running on the 64297 port will also use ports 64298 and 64299.
    On my second instance the "main" port is 64300 and that also uses 64301 and 64302
    Try moving your TinTop server to use port 64300 - that way it won't be "overlapped" by the first server.

You'll notice that these servers on the list don't use consecutive ports

upload_2021-2-5_20-32-10.png

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  8. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Problem is your ports you are using, in your screen you are using 64297 for one and 64298 for the other. The first server needs as part of the process UDP 64298 and 64299....2nd needs UDP 64299 and 64300....ie 64299 is conflicting.
    I’d recommend changing the http ports to be 100 apart for each instance, ie 60297, 61297, 62297 etc.

edit ninja’d lol

9. Richard Male

Richard Male Registered

Thank you both. As you can see i know enough to be dangerous but not to be useful. i'll implement your suggest tomorrow .

10. Richard Male

Richard Male Registered

Thank you both. All sorted now.

trichens and Goanna like this.
  11. Binny

Binny Guest

How many drivers can rf2 cater for on a server ?
    HI a friend was in a race last night with 40 drivers but had server problems, is it a server problem or a rf2 problem to run that many ppl. they said frame rates on server were good plenty on bandwidth. im wondering whether they had enough server slots as was told you need 10 more than you need. they think its a rf2 problem from latest update, but they ran on older build 1122. Any information you can give would be appreciated as we have a season to start in the near future with 30 drivers.