multiplayer fail starting Feb 28

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Tom Lory, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

[​IMG]
    We are having a problem that points to matchmaker. Although our dedicated server appears in the server list, no one is able to join.

It was fine Sat Feb 27 (USA) night up to at least 23:30 PST (07:30 UTC). The first report of it not working came at about Sun Feb 28 15:45 PST (23:45 UTC).

We had to cancel our championship finale because no one could join.

Joining other servers is trial and error because it's impossible to know which cars and track are in use before attempting to join but I was able to join two other servers with no issues and one reported the same error.

I tried deleting the player and multiplayer JSONs, deleted all of the RFMODs and made and tried new ones, ran the rF2 updater (nothing to update) and ran Steam.CMD but there was no indication of an update.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What content is on the server?

3. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

Momentarily, it's Toyota AE86's at Trembling Mountain (Mont Tremblant).

efnetsimracing on the server list

Both of those are immune to Steam updates.

It's not a mismatch issue.

The S397 GT3 cars @ Virtula LM Sebring worked fine on Saturday, Toyota AE86s at three different tracks worked fine on Saturday, have never had this issue ~16 months on rF2.

At least nine people are having the same problem so it's not localized to me.

4. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Lazza... long time :)

I have looked the server over head to toe...ran a validate bat in the CMD ..it did install a few files but that makes no sense as to why it was OK Saturday night.. and NO joy Sunday..
    I saw this once B4 in the ISI era, but can't for the life of me remember what caused it.
    I am wondering if it is not a Track issue seeing from what I understand from Tom, that the mods and other tracks preformed with out issue?

Stay well
    Dave
    NRT

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I assume no chance an exe got left running in the background? Only a few threads mentioning that error on here, seems to usually be an instance falling over.

6. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

That is one of the first things I checked for... a rouge .exe running in the back ground...but nothing.
    At one time if there was one....it would throw a popup displaying the exe trying to use the same ports..

I am not sure what is up with it to be honest.. Like Tom said 16 months without issue But you know we will get it sorted.. Tom just reaching out.
    All the best.. stay well and safe

Dave

7. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

I am thinking we got this issue resolved... It seems to be working without issues...not sure why or what fixed it...but thanks Lazza.

Be safe

Dave

8. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

Dave threw a bunch of possible fixes at it so not sure which one, if any just one, did the trick.

9. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

Sorry, I left some info out at the top.

The error first manifested itself with the S397 GT3 cars @ Sebring Vitua LM which had been fine all week through Saturday night PST. Testing afterwards revealed that the Toyotas (which, too, had been fine on Saturday and earlier in the week) had the same problem.

10. AndrewCottingham

AndrewCottingham Registered

hi Dave

just wondering how would you go about running a validate BAT in the cmd, I cant seem to figure it out
    cheers
    Andrew Cottingham