Multiplayer: broken since purchase :(

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Desmond, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Desmond

Desmond Registered

Alright, I deleted EVERYTHING that has anything to do with rFactor2, even stuff in my downloads folder. This was after uninstalling the program. So there were no empty directories or anything, should have been a fresh install.

I then downloaded the lite version and installed it, and then proceeded to download all content all over again, so that I could be SURE I had the latest versions. I put these in my packages directory within the rfactor 2 root and installed them. Everything installed fine and works great. All cars and tracks are there and drivable.

However, this did absolutely nothing for the MP side of things. In fact, karts arent even showing in my mod section anymore, like they were before. Still unable to join any of the official ISI servers. Really not sure whats going on here... :confused:

2. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Your packages directory is not the one at c: programfiles/rfactor2/packages it's the one in your documents folder just to make sure, because from the quote there it sounds like you might be putting them in the wrong packages folder possibly?

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Good catch Murtaya!

The packages folder that you put mods in is in "my documents/rfactor2/packages"

4. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

If he Can drive all cars etc offline they must be installed?

5. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

You can sort of get half assed working version and make all sorts of breakages using mod manager, as I found out to my cost tonight.
    I am now stuck with not being able to uninstall or install rf2 correctly, tried 3rd party uninstallers and all sorts. If I uninstall using windows or 3rd party installers it pretty much deletes the shortcut and leaves everything else behind, if I click uninstall in the launcher nothing happens, mod manager crashes if I try to point it to a different packages directory(one on my network) and install anything from there. So I have managed to royally eff my install up, and I'm not new. :rolleyes:

6. Desmond

Desmond Registered

It is in G:/Program Files/rFactor2/packages. The game did not create a file in "My Documents". You really think thats the cause of my problems? And if it is, can I create a folder, or do I need to reinstall AGAIN? Thanks!

EDIT: Ok I did ANOTHER complete uninstall, and let the installer create all default directories. I think I have a problem here though. My C drive is a solid state disk, and I actually have my documents folder on my G drive, which is my normal HDD. So it installed into C, but put data and other things into the My Docs folder on G. I tried that setup, and no change. So I uninstalled and reinstalled AGAIN, and this time I installed on my G drive, and told it to install the data files on my My Documents folder, on the G drive. Still no luck after reinstalling all mods again. I for one, am stumped!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

So in the last instance where everything was on G: did you put the mods into my documents/rfactor2/packages and install them using mod manager?

In my previous post I suggested that you install lite, and then without trying to install any further content, simply connect to an ISI server at which point it should seamlessly download and install the content they are running on that server to the correct locations on your pc. That should happen. I tried it myself. It may help you work out the correct place for putting mods when installing them manually. So I would try that next. If it doesn't happen you may have things left over from previous installs messing things up. This is where I am at as of last night, I'm getting the impression that if the 660 build doesn't install right for you the first time there are issues from then on. Why do I never back the registry up before I install something? I'm either going to dig about for an answer or reformat today.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Also need to keep an eye on what the modmanager shows as your working folder, and where you're installing packages from. Its package folder options are stored in the registry, quite possible even on a clean rF2 install to be referencing an old packages folder.

9. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Yes that's my problem no doubt and will be Desmonds too if he has multiple half successful installs to various places. Got any idea how to clean the registry of all rfactor2 references Lazza?

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Open regedit and search for rfactor 2?

11. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Yeah I will try that, I made the mistake of searching the registry for rfactor last night. It brings up a lot of non related windows stuff named something ending in R factory, at which point I laughed and went to bed.

12. DocJones

DocJones Registered

No need for that. Use the 'X' that is next to both 'Working Dir' and 'Packages Dir' right in mod manager to delete old, unused paths.

13. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

The JOIN being greyed out has been becoming more and more prevalent. Sometimes I refresh once, and I can join. Other times I refresh 10 times and I still can't join, have to leave the game and try again.

I really hope ISI are looking into this, as you can waste hours in a week trying to get onto a server. I do not have this issue in rFactor 1, and it never happened before about 2 months ago, and it has gotten worse since then.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry Murtaya, didn't see the question. The above would be easiest.

I did once make a small .reg file to remove all the folders in one go, back when deleting them wasn't an option, so no need for that now.

15. FOG-TinTops

FOG-TinTops Registered

I have a similar problem, mods, cars, and tracks, all look installed with mod manager yet cant join online servers - Verify install update to 660 and it came up with this:

"Install has been checked.
    One or more critical simulation files failed verification.
    Support\660.uninstall failed verification."

Yet I get this:

rFactor2 Content Inventory @ Apr 25 2014 10:03:02 AM
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All mods and components verified.

Guess I'll try to uninstall it all, re-install 660 lite version and reload the packages files?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  16. FOG-TinTops

FOG-TinTops Registered

I have a similar problem, mods, cars, and tracks, all look installed with mod manager yet cant join online servers - Verify install update to 660 and it came up with this:

"Install has been checked.
    One or more critical simulation files failed verification.
    Support\660.uninstall failed verification."

I also get this:

"rFactor2 Content Inventory @ Apr 25 2014 10:23:59 AM
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All mods and components verified."

Guess I'll try to uninstall it all, re-install 660 lite version and reload the packages files?