Multiplayer: broken since purchase :(

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Desmond, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Desmond

Desmond Registered

Hey, I decided I should finally post here. Hopefully someone can help me out. I didnt buy a year membership for nothing.

I have installed this game on various drives of my PC (not at once), I've opened firewall exceptions, I've done about everything I know how. What is going on with the multiplayer service?? There is no reason it should be so hard!

I am admittedly a little frustrated, to say the VERY least. Let me see if I can describe what is happening:

Basically the sim works fine offline. Mods install without a problem, I drive the cars just fine (although I am using a Fanatec CSR, and I found out I cant plug the pedals into the PC or they dont work for this game...gotta run 'em through the wheel. Thats another story tho). Everything works as it should there.

However, when I go to play multiplayer, it auto-signs me in and takes me to the list of servers. While at this list, I am able to see all them, and yet unable to join any. I simply get "Series installed: no; Mod not found". It doesnt matter the server. It also doesnt matter that I have the mods installed, and on alot of those servers I KNOW I have the required mods. I know they are recent too, because I bought the game a few weeks ago, and have redownloaded the content several times.

[​IMG]

So there is that issue. Here is my next. Not sure what the design concept was behind this UI, but its pretty unbearably..."pre-historic" as of right now. I wish I had a better word, but I don't want to outright offend anyone. Seriously though, it makes very little sense. In the "Manage Mods" section of the UI, I come to a screen where I can apparently select which mods I want to use. However, there are no indications of when something is selected or not. It seems unfinished or something. Shouldnt the game just assume I want to have all mods ready, and use the required ones for the server I select? Why is this section even here? Again, not trying to be negative, thats an honest question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, if you see the screenshots, I go into this section and it appears that the multiplayer service sees my mods as installed, but there is an exclamation over the "info" box, and no options to update or anything. If I click this info button, I get what you see in the other screenshot.

So again, I am writing this while being slightly pissed off. I'm sorry if I come across as very rude, but hopefully I manage to get some help and fix this. Thanks for taking the time to read!

2. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    First just because you have the cars and tracks install does not mean much.
    The reason it is telling you (No the series is not installed) is becuase you don't have the RCP files.
    Go and find the ISI server click on it on the right you will see get mod click that and it will download and install the files for the series.
    And you should be able to get in right there and then.

GL
    Ruben

3. Desmond

Desmond Registered

Thats the thing. I know that is how its supposed to work "in concept", but no matter where I click it doesnt want to find any mods, or give an option to install them. I hoped this new build would fix it, but no luck :(

4. DocJones

DocJones Registered

That last pic of yours shows that you are missing kart vehicle and quebec track. You write however that you can use rF2 offline. Does that include driving karts at quebec? Otherwise download and install these packages (get them here). Then try joining a karts server again (preferably try the ISI 'open wheel' kart server first).

Missing components like these should auto-download and install, but let's try and solve this one step at a time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

As said Desmond, you don't have that mod or track installed. pic 2 is the section where your vmods are installed (and the allcars-mod on-top which is rf2's main vmod so you can drive anything offline) but having a vmod doesn't mean you have the content, you can obtain a vmod from a server without ever actually joining it.

In pic3 the vmod info shows you don't have the required content (for that server) as each vmod is just a file dictating what a server is running.

When you say you can drive cars just fine I suspect its other cars? because if you mean Karts pic3 would at least have the 1st and 3rd item in green. (mod and its sounds)

MP is a bit of a pain when you don't have the correct content installed, sometimes you can install from a server, sometimes not, sometimes it works, and then it don't.
    Clearly that server you joined did not allow for auto-download/install.

But you should at least help yourself and get all ISI content in your sim: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/
    That will make it a bit easier for joining.
    Dump the tracks and cars into (documents)/rf2/Packages, open rf2 launcher, click mod manager, top of MM in view: select components/deselct mods, select a file, press install.

6. Desmond

Desmond Registered

Hmm, I found out in Mod Manager that where it says "working directory", it was set to a different location. I set it to the correct location, and the mods came up as uninstalled again. I installed them all once more, and now they show as green and installed in multiplayer. The mod icons are no longer big orange diamonds, but squares, indicating the mods are installed and working. I still cant seem to join any servers tho, even the kart servers where I am pretty sure I have the required content. I never have the option to download the missing mods either. I know I added a firewall exception for rFactor2.exe. Are there any other exceptions I need to add? Seems like maybe something is blocking access from my side.

Also, finally found a server that seems to have accepted my kart mods. Says I have everything. Join button still greyed out. WHAT GIVES!?!?!

View attachment 12360

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

That server may not have opened the correct ports, if it had people on it you could say something is wrong your end. Install the content that is currently hosted on the ISI public servers and see if you can join them(when there's spaces free!). If you can't join them then you must have a firewall blocking it - could be on your pc, could be on your router.

8. Desmond

Desmond Registered

I have installed everything from the downloads page. I would think that would be enough to get me into at least one ISI server. It must be something on my end, although I have NEVER had problems of this type with any other game. I would rather not mess with my router settings anyways. I guess I'll be waiting on future builds from the looks of it. Maybe they can clear this up eventually.

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

New builds will never sort a port problem on your router, you may be waiting a very long time!

10. Desmond

Desmond Registered

Why then, have I never had a problem of this type with ANY other game? Even INDIE games made by dudes in their mom's basements find ways through the router. I am not so sure that is my problem.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

The fact that you may need ports opened to enable you to play multiplayer doesn't change unless you try and change it.

You could sit there and twiddle your thumbs, put your head in the sand and hope someone fixes your problem, or you could try and find a solution.

12. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

If you have all the ISI content on then yes you should be able to connect so it confirms something your end, either on your pc, your router, or even some oddity with your ISP. When is the last time you reset your router, it may just be a leasing issue assuming you don't use a static ip on your pc network. Are you wired or wireless? Tell us some more about your specs and how you have things setup with any network wired or wireless you might have.

13. Desmond

Desmond Registered

Wired into a comcast router. Its technically a wireless router, but like I said, I'm jacked right in. I think it is a strange case though, because this is one of those "voice over IP" routers where your phone goes through it too.

And Woodie, you sitting there laughing at someone stuck in the mud doesn't help the guy who is stuck in the mud. If you're going to take the time to respond, please do so with something useful. Not all of us have degrees in computer networking. I would love to fix my problem, but I know very little about how routers work, or how I would go about opening a port.

Murtaya, any more info you would like? I'm not sure what helps and what doesnt.

EDIT: Im still not entirely convinced its a networking problem. I just hosted a server, and when I began it gave me the option to host either of 2 kart mods. Its like it didnt even recognize I had any of the other cars or tracks installed. This is where it says "Select which game database". The two options were ISI karts and Junior karts. I think this is part of the problem. The game doesnt want to recognize I have all of this other content installed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Download the karts from the download section here. http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

Then install them via mod manager. Done. That's what I do and have no problems getting online. shrug.

15. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    Now I am not a networking pro or gamer modder.
    But I am 90% sure that if you able to see the server list in rf2 you don't have a port problem.
    I think it is a I stall problem you installed mod packages in different places. Now it is looking in different areas for installed.
    I would suggest starting all over.
    1. Back up your packages folder
    2. Uninstall and manually delete rf2 folders.
    3. Reinstall 660 lite
    Making sure it is installed and you remember the directory if are changing the default installed path.
    Reactivate and install you content.

Go
    Ruben

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

16. DocJones

DocJones Registered

To host you need vmods. You only have two from your attemps to join servers. Nothing wrong there.

As suggested earlier, for now please try to join official ISI servers only. We know they are set up correctly and don't run any content you might be missing. They are on top of the list when you open the server list.

17. Tripp

Tripp Registered

when v590 was out i could start up many servers with latest build i start up one server then when i start up second server i get a error ensure ports set in multiplayer.ini is available
    what is wrong here when i get that error ? or is is because of the new Version Build 660 ?

It feels like isi not want people to host online servers why has rf 2 switch to such hard to understand games it was 100000 times better and easier to work on rf1 with the structure rf 1 use this things to lay packages and files in 2 separate folders just mess up things the structure reminds me of host race 07 some files in the documents and some in another folder must be better and easier to work with rf2 if all files lay in one folder i have never seen such a long beta v in any game before and so much fixes because every new build is something new need to fix by the way where did the Developer part gone after a new install of this game it is grey for me .

One Q why not use the structure that isi used in rfactor 1 ? all files in one folder why is that not possible in rfactor 2 ?
    Edit : Great i login on my rfactor 2 on my server pc and now when i start Host in the launcher another error it open a window i give up host server

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Ok Dismond,

I wasn't laughing at you.... quite the opposite entirely. I was trying to ascertain what your problem which could be preventing you enjoying multiplayer. But for some reason when I mentioned it may be that your ports on your router might not be open you were sure that someone else could fix that problem for you, it won't happen.

In order to correct the problem there may be some trial and error involved because PC setups have large numbers of configurations and finding the small thing at fault is sometimes hard.

@Tripp Don't start that "rF1 was perfect in every way why change rF2 blah blah blah". If you were happy with rF1, you can stay with it! What would be the point in rF2 if things weren't an evolution on what came before? The advantage of having the content separated from the core files is so that the sim stays intact and you can just concern yourself with the content you are putting in, and it is ALL IN THE SAME PLACE... simpler? I think so. Not like rF1? Absolutely!

19. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Ok for now Desmond don't worry about hosting, let's get it so that you can join before we get to hosting a server. I'm inclined to agree with Ruben. I think you ought to start from scratch by uninstalling rF2 completely then install the latest light build, I would probably allow it to install to the default paths. You should if everything is setup right be able to go online and join an ISI server, it should download and install the content it is running properly for you (if I'm wrong here please someone correct, I don't do it this way, just seems the easiest way here to check connectivity and autorun modmanager at the same time)

Tripp please check the wiki about running multiple server instances, this thread is about getting Desmond to be able to connect to at least one server.

20. Desmond

Desmond Registered

I'll give it a shot Murtaya. Thanks for taking the time to respond :D