Moving existing standalone rF2 install and mods to Steam?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by rongarz, Oct 18, 2016.

1. rongarz

rongarz Registered

I'm still running a standalone install updated to the current build with all official and 3PA content, plus many different mods. What is the most efficient way to migrate to the Steam version before the next Steam-only update?

I understand the process of getting a Steam key and installing the full Steam version from scratch then reinstalling all .rfcmp mods from the mod manager, but I wonder if there is any way to do a minimal Steam install, then simply copy over or merge all my local folders and files from my existing install.

Or what would happen if I pre-populate a folder "Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\rFactor2" with a copy of my existing install before starting the new Steam install for the first time? Would it find the existing files and simply update additional and changed files?

2. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

No that I know. Yo have to download over 10GB. You will get subscriptions to all ISI and 3PA events.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

3. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

It will not do what you want it to. You're going to have to download the 10gb unfortunately.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV

4. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Maybe if you put them in the cache folder?

5. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

With rF and rF2 we had the luxury to have a small lite install and the option to have multiple installs for different purposes.

With other games it's all or nothing.

If you really want to avoid the 10Gb download, I would wait with the steam transfer untill next build release. Maybe it comes with a lite install for steam.

But i guess if you want to enjoy the auto update from the ISI steam workshop items, you'll need to subscibe to them and they will download.

6. rongarz

rongarz Registered

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like there is no way to make use of my existing install. Gysbers, I may take your advice and wait and see if there is any news about a minimal install for the next Steam-only update.

7. jonw

jonw Registered

Hiya, I saw the recent FAQ page updated about moving the installation to steam and had the same query as the OP. I take it that copying the files and reverifying the install in steam still doesn't work?

8. EaglemanGT

EaglemanGT Registered

Here is what I did and successfully moved ALL my downloaded content, including my PayMods to my converted steam account.
    Now mind you this is my system, so you might have to find your own directories if you choose altered installs.
    After switching, downloading and installing rFactor 2 through Steam Client, I copied my "Packages" FOLDER from mycomputer\Documents\rFactor2 to Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2 then I ran the Steam Client rFactor 2 launcher for the first time. The rFactor 2 Launcher found 70 workshop content in my installation, found them on the workshop, updated them then let me continue. rFactor 2 Launched flawless. I closed rF2 then went back to the launcher to manage my mods and installed all the content steam did not already do. Then Launched rF2 single player once again. Again, flawless and test drove both steam updated and non updated content and everything was the same as I remembered it prior to switching to the Steam Client Install.
    After all that, I moved over my controller files, so I didn't have to spend countless hours tweaking again. Moved over my Setting Folder, which moved all my setups and my skins. Launched rF2 and BAHM everything was there sitting pretty. Then moved over my G.I.D. Trackmap and I am in like flynn. It's like nothing ever changed, eccept now I will be able to track how long my lifeless ass is on another computer game through steam. YAY me Go LIFE!

9. rongarz

rongarz Registered

Thanks for sharing your migration experience. I'll give your method a try.

I'm not sure if I should stick to using the ModMgr for everything rather than workshop subscriptions. I read about workshop mods being uninstalled without warning or if you switch to Steam offline mode. I wouldn't want to lose anything or have to regularly re-download all the workshop mods.

10. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

That's fixed... :)