Mountain Peak Speedway v1.1 Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm saying that it seems like higher AI aggression makes them take more kerb during a corner. This is global, as it seem to make every mod take more kerb. This seems to cause a problem with the low grip/high power historic cars who you often see put a wheel on the grass during braking, or clipping walls on ovals. Or with the FWD cars hitting the inside kerb and flipping. This seems like it is a result of them taking a slightly tighter on the apex, wider on the exit line, which can be cured slightly by reducing the default AI aggression of 25%.

Wouldn't a guy driving a 1960s 300bhp car on bias ply tyres and with no seatbelt be a little less aggressive though?

Though these two problems seem to be eased with the same fix I think they are the result of two very different problems. The FWD cars being way too easy to flip (physics maybe) and historics taking sloppy wide lines don't seem related to me.

Also, is it really too hard to reduce AI aggression the odd time you use historics on an oval, or FWD cars at silverstone? I don't think so, but go ahead and take the drastic decision to set it to 0 for all mods if you think that's the best option. Personally I cant tell the difference between 25% standard AI aggression and 8%.

This is all opinion though Marc. I don't claim to know the inner workings of the sim. This is just the result of observation and testing.

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I see that an English as second language problem is occurring...

I was just re-making the same point that moving a global slider isn't a solution. And of course the Aggression setting actual does something. We need car-specific aggression settings and AI and physics fixes for problems that are AI and physics.

3. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

Ahh ok.. So English isn't your first language. Now I get why you have such a problem understanding.

It starts with you having a problem with a suggestion to move the AI aggression slider because it takes time to tune. It ends with you asking for car specific AI aggression settings..... Which you will still have to tune.

I'm sure if ISI introduced car specific AI aggression settings, and then you wanted to globally increase the AI aggression setting, this would become be a problem for you too.

This is all rather pointless.....

Btw... Try not to assume my location is my nationality.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Trolls around...

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Sorry for the confusion or wrong assumption.

Bottom-line, I vehemently disagree with the practice of making global adjustments to address non-global issues. I also oppose making adjustments that shouldn't be necessary every time I switch from one car or track or combo to another.

There is already an identified "temporary fix" for the MP Turn 1 problem with historics (that has nothing to do with aggression setting). I would prefer to use that. You can feel free to continue to use a kludge to solve it at your end.

Of course, fixing the problem properly is still preferred.

6. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

I do wish you'd read....

I never said the fix for T1 at MP was lowering AI aggression. I suggested lowering AI aggression when the problem was first raised thinking it may help based upon my experience with other historic content clipping outside walls, which can be solved by lowering AI aggression. I also later said I went the AI learning path to solve T1 problems at MP. I said I use lower AI aggression AT INDY, not at MP. And you HAVE to use lower AI aggression at Indy with the historic content as even after going through the AI learning process as they will still occasionally clip a wall.

Is it really so hard to drop AI aggression a tad when you use historic content on ovals? The way you're carrying on you'd swear the AI aggression setting was hidden away in some Json file rather than being easily accessible in the UI.

It takes too long to tune, I cant remember what I changed, It ruins the rest of the game... Whinge whinge whinge

7. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

I'm also pretty certain people are not constantly changing AI aggression settings. I leave it at the standard 25% for every single mod I have installed other than historics at Indy and the FWD cars at Silverstone (never been a fan of lrp so cant confirm any rolling there). So then that asks the question: Why have car specific AI aggression setting if people rarely change it and the AI aggression isnt the underlying cause of the problems? And then you'd have to remove the global settings, because every tweak ofthe global settings would impact your car specific settings. Meaning there is more things to fiddle with, more time spent tuning on mod per mod basis. And you wouldn't like this. You'd call for global settings.

I agree though.. A proper fix of the underlying cause of the problem would be nice.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I always change aggression for different mods, please don't assume "people rarely change it" just because you don't ;)

9. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

Fair do's, but now we get to the fundamental part of what this has turned into...

What change in AI behaviour do you perceive when you change the AI aggression? And is it a hassle to change it?

I still get cars breaking while tailgating on Le Mans, Indy, Silverstone etc with really high aggression, but this has always been a problem even going back to RF1. I see the change more as the AI being a little more liberal with their lines through corners. Which results in wheel on grass spins and wall clips with the higher powered historic content. It's almost as if the AI in these circumstances is unable to calculate a line through a corner with as greater accuracy as the modern content, due to their relative instability. It seems like reducing AI aggression helps them to be more careful with their line through a corner.

I'd like to hear how much you change it, to what end, and what you perceive

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  10. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Sooooooo.....

.....what is the workaround for this track with historics?

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

They generally don't "divebomb" as much under braking and take corners "easier" with lower Aggression, I tend to run lower numbers for Openwheelers and Higher for Tin Tops
    See here for ISIs word on Aggression:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ettings-Thread?p=258346&viewfull=1#post258346

Have not tried it myself but by all accounts AI Learning helps (how much I can't say personally), see here for a Guide some bloke wrote up the other day:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23955-*-AI-Learning-Step-by-Step-Guide-*

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Thanks, Marc. I thought I saw someone was going to share his .wis files?