Most realistic settings for Corvette

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mauserrifle, Apr 15, 2013.

1. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

I'm wondering what the most realistic settings for the Corvette are and how these settings work.

I have everything off including autoblip for the classic 60s cars and use my H shifter. The Corvette is semi automatic as far I saw on videos, but when I switch to the Corvette and turn on auto clutch, it's not blipping either. Do I have to modify my PLR each time I will be racing this car? That's very annoying.

What are most realistic settings for this car anyway?

2. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Ok what I found out is that:

Clutch is required for get going. After that not required. But does this car blip in real life? The guy in this rFactor 2 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olSQpJIAtpc

.. is throttling himself while breaking.

But some reactions on the video say that this car by design blips in real life. So why doesn't it just blip if it's car design? Is blipping always PLR file setting dependent?

3. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

i think that FIA GT cars must not have the autoblip.

Is this correct?

4. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Hmm interesting. Can't really find when googling though.

Hope someone can supply this information. I really like to know :)

If its common for semi automatic to not have blip, I guess I'll have to learn left foot breaking sometime, that could be very useful :) Heel&toe seems a bit silly when left foot aint clutching.

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Left foot braking is easy, you just have to remember to get off the throttle when you want max braking and you have to remember to get off the brake when ready to accelerate. :)

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It would be nice if this sort of information comes with the car in the sim, when you select the car, with a small text window or something. I just drive the corvette as I would drive any streetcar but with heel and toe to keep it more stable sometimes, but I guess clutch is only needed when you're standing still?

7. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

My left foot does not compute yet. It aint feeling the art of breaking yet :)

@ISI, can't you post specs like how to drive these cars on the car profile page? Whether auto blip is available etc :)

I must say rFactor2 gets more and more fun with learning all these driving techniques. I thought I was there with heel&toe. But so much to learn....

8. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Exactly! This information should be there. It's so simple, but so relevant for driving each car as it should.

Yes clutch is only needed when standing still.

9. argo0

argo0 Registered

I'd like to add my voice to those calling for this sort of info about the cars. Y'know, should we be blipping or auto blip, gearbox type, clutch type, tyre characteristics, traction control etc and how we should be altering settings so that we can replicate the real life experience.
    And all the info and relevant settings should be in the UI, not tucked away in text files.

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I agree this kind of info will be/is needed, probably in the technique section.

12. Jan Cato Larsen

Jan Cato Larsen Registered

I dont know if they have changed it. But in the LM series or WEC series the LMP 1 and 2 cars have autoblip, but the GT cars do not. So I suspect you do it yourself. I know I do when racing.

13. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Just drove this car in three 15 min races:
    Paddle shifting, no clutch, no blip

I found it very very hard to drive, especially with the downshifting. Then I tried using my H-shifter after the race and clutch myself. I found the car much easier to handle because blipping the throttle seems much smoother due to the clutch moment.

So to me it behaves better when clutching myself, what could be the reason for that?

14. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Mauserrifle, I didn't feel a difference, but that might be because I lift the throttle while shifting sequential :)

Must say, like the corvette even better now, it seems to have more believable oversteer grip in a way :)

16. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

I only had issues with downshifting, for that I was blipping. Maybe I just have to get used to this driving style.

Overall the new version drives better yes :)

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I would never rely on the computer auto-blipping the throttle for you, get used to blipping yourself to ensure a smooth downshift otherwise you are likely to lock the drive tires on downshift. One other thing to consider is that when downshifting, for maximum braking, don't rely on the engine helping you brake. Doing so will put a lot more load on the drive tires causing them to exceed maximum grip level. Slow down to where you wish to be for corner entry and then downshift to the appropriate gear for the corner, much safer.

18. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Ye I like blipping myself. I find heel&toe no problem. I just find it very difficult in a car that requires no clutch for shifting. Heel&toe feels weird because my left foot wont do anything. And left foot braking... well I really need to get used to that...

What you guys do? Always heel&toe?

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

As most pedal sets for gaming are not setup correctly to heel & toe properly I don't even think about doing that. I always left foot brake even in my real vehicles. The only time I change is when I am in a car with a clutch, then I use left for clutch and right for brake and leave the throttle alone.

EDIT: When I say not setup properly, to me the throttle pedal should be even with the brake pedal only when the brake is near brake threshold point. This would put the throttle quite a bit lower than the brake when neither is depressed.

20. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

I've always treated every car in rFactor1 & 2 like it had a crash box whether it did or not. Almost all shifting can be done clutchless and that leaves the left for free for braking. There are so many circumstances where a little brake with the throttle can help balance or settle the car. I never use auto-clutch so that means I have to do all blips and lifts myself but it makes for very satisfying standing start launches when you have control of clutch engagement with your left foot!
    The information about straight vs helical cut gears (1) and dog or crash box transmissions (2) at these links is very easy to understand.
    (1) http://automotivethinker.com/transmission/straight-cut-gears-vs-helical/
    First line of the last paragraph has a link to the page below (Dog Engaged Transmissions)
    (2) http://automotivethinker.com/transmission/dog-engaged-transmissions-aka-the-crash-box-and-dog-box/

Funny, I can heel-toe fine in every-day driving but NOT in simracing despite my Fanatec CS pedals which are quite amenable to doing so. On the other hand, I cannot for the life of me (and my passengers!) manage left-foot braking on the street!