Monitor selection for Rfactor2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smbrm, Mar 4, 2014.

1. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Just wondering if folks are having a more favourable experience with TN high frequency(120hz) monitor panels or IPS (better colour, 60hz)monitor panels for Rfactor2? Should be waiting for G-sync panels if you were looking at purchasing soon?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  2. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Any new insights on the impact, desirability of g-sync for Rfactor2? G-sync monitors are appearing in market place. Anyone have experience yet?

3. smithaz

smithaz Registered

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

G-sync should offer low to zero input-lag too, or am I misunderstanding something there?

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Input lag is a bit confusing concept. There is response time which is usually measured as grey-to-grey transition time of pixel, then there is input lag from monitor electric circuits, which is the time it takes before a received signal is processed. Nowadays pixel transition times are fairly quick on most monitors, it's the signal processing that is often the real issue. Signal processing lag cannot be eliminated by G-sync or any other GPU tech.

New IPS monitors can be just as quick as 120 Hz monitors with this form of input lag, see for example this chart (U2414H is IPS monitor with virtually 0 input lag). What I have noticed, the larger the monitor is, the more likely it has higher input lag. 1440p monitors tend to have clearly more lag.

6. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I have heard of the light boost capability. 120/144 hz monitors are $ more than 60 hz. G-Sync monitors appear to be an additional $350-$440 more than light boost able 120/144's. Question, is the added performance worth the $ at this time? G-sync's monitors will no doubt come down in price, but will that happen before the new VESA standard( that is to deliver similar performance to g-sync) arrives? Agree, all are positive direction improvements.

7. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

G sync offers lower input lag over V sync but will not affect the monitor circuit lag, that being said a monitor with G sync will be built for gaming and should have low circuit lag anyhow.
    V sync gets rid of nasty looking tearing but in doing so creates lag, the idea of G sync is to match the monitor refresh rate to thw gpu rather than the other way around.
    Another benefit of G sync is if you have a hi res monitor and cannot achieve constant 60fps, if you drop to say 40fps with v sync the v sync will drop your refresh rate to 30hz which will cause stuttering. G sync on the other hand wont, it's nice tech but will add £200 to the price.
    As for IPS vs TN, if you have never owned IPS then you wont bother, if you have going back to TN is horrible. I personally would choose higher input lag over poor picture

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

GSync actually adds a tiny amount of input lag. It's extremely small. For example, your total input lag time may increase from 22ms to 27ms with GSync on, it's very, very minor. It's like 90% the amount of input lag as no sync option, but with the absolutely perfectly smooth and fluid image + absolutely no tearing of a traditional VSync experience, plus that perfect visual experience will remain even as the framerate constantly fluctuates.

Plus, if you want to disable GSync for certain games, then you can enable the strobing mode instead, and vice-versa.

The BenQ XL2720Z ("Z" model, not the "T" model) has some of the lowest input lag PERIOD, same with the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q, plus the ROG Swift does it at 1440P AND also has GSync (the BenQ XL2720Z is 1080P and doesn't have GSync.

Other than that they're the same in most other specs - both are 27", have stroboscopic modes, are NVIDIA 3D Vision capable, have extremely low pixel response times and more importantly extremely total input lag, and are up to 144 Hz capable (limited to 120 Hz in strobing or 3D mode with the ASUS, and also 120 Hz in 3D with the BenQ but I believe the BenQ can do 144 Hz in strobing mode, but don't quote me on that).

The only problem with the ASUS is that it is massively overpriced due to huge hype and anticipation for the monitor. Not to mention, it's pretty much sold out/out of stock almost everywhere since it got released a few months back.

The ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q and - if you don't mind loosing out on 1440P and GSync - the BenQ XL2720Z are pretty much the best "hardcore gaming" monitors out right now. If you want to go with 24", then the BenQ XL2411Z and ASUS VG248QE are some of the best, if not the best, in that size. However, if you do want to go with IPS, then there is only one that I would consider in the "hardcore gaming" category, and that is the Overlord Tempest X270OC :)

P.S. I forgot to mention two things. A. The new Philips 272G5DYEB, it has GSync and apparently pretty much all the features of the BenQ and ASUS I mentioned above (except 1440P), however I haven't seen any tests of it yet (especially regarding actual tested pixel response times, and, more importantly, total input lag times). Also, these Phillips monitors seem to be rare in North America; I have no idea why. And B. There will be a BenQ XL2720G which is apparently the same as the current XL2720Z but with GSync, however it was reported almost a year ago and still not out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  9. smbrm

smbrm Registered

The ROG's PG278Q G-sync appears to be having its 2nd availability, at least according to the inventory at my local computer store, which is half of what it was yesterday! It is still like huge expensive, ~$900. The Ben-Q 2420G, I would think should be arriving more soonish than later(Ben-Q at least has info and manuals posted). Ben-Q, seems to have more flexibility designed into it, however still standard 1080 P. There appears to be no noise yet about a 2720G really even officially available as yet?

I guess the real question is whether there are any Rfactor2 users who have acquired G-sync and are able to verify whether the cost of G-sync is worth the performance with Rfactor2?

From what I have read, G-sync is not totally issue free? See: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewforum.php?f=5