Monitor Options, what can you tell me?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John R Denman, Aug 12, 2018.

1. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Getting ready to upgrade the video and monitor(s).

Currently using a 42" 1920x1080 single. Typically run a 32° FOV.

Looking at a GTX 1080 card. VR is not an option for me.

Not sure if I should go with a triple monitor or 1 60" curved 4K.

It seems some of the newer 4K sets will allow me to open FOV to about 40° while still providing the the same distance resolution I currently have.

Anyone have input?

2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Is that 60" 4K option a TV? Remember to take the input lag in to consideration when choosing the setup.

3. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

No sure adding a 4-5 millisecond lag would make a difference to my eyes.

4. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

That probably wouldn't. My old tv had something over 30 ms, so i thought that's a bit too much.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

4-5 ms extra lag is no issue for most people, but TV's and also many big monitors typically have way more than that. They may advertise 4-5 ms, but TFTCentral for example provides more objective numbers. Usually manufacturers only mention the response time but ignore the signal processing lag in their advertising. So for example a popular ultra-wide monitor like LG 38UC99 in reality has 25 ms overall response time (source), which is quite bad.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, assuming your viewing distance is 90cm to arrive at your current FOV. (32 vFOV, 54 hFOV)

A 60 inch screen at the same distance (90cm) would give you 45 vFOV, 72 hFOV. Your (rough) pixel density will increase from 33 pixels/degree to 47. A curved screen I don't even want to think about trying to calculate, it will lead to distortion but it may not be very noticeable - but bearing in mind you have your correct perspective and that's a lot about looking into corners, which is where that distortion will be worst (out near the edge of the screen) so you'd perhaps want to increase the FOV slightly to correct that and put up with the now slight distortion around the middle of the screen - probably no biggie.

If you wanted to keep the same pixel density as now, you'd have to move that screen to a distance of 59cm, giving you 64.5 vFOV and 97 hFOV, which is pretty good coverage but that's a quite close screen. If that's even possible with your physical setup you'd want to try your current screen at that distance to see how you'd go - your current 90cm would be much more comfortable for long sessions I'd say.

With that 4k you're driving 8.3 million pixels vs your current 2.1.

If you went triple 42" screens, at your current distance, you obviously keep your current 32 vFOV but by wrapping them around you get 163 hFOV which will let you spot the apex at any corner you want to take. This is 6.2 million pixels so that might give you at performance at least on par with 4k even though you'd be rendering 3 different viewpoints so that'll add overhead compared to parallel screens.

Personally I'd go triples, not just for the gaming and FOV aspect but triple screens are handy for anything else you're doing on your PC. 4k is a lot of resolution and your 60" will keep it all nice and visible, but for me separate screens are still better for practical work.

Just my thoughts :)

patchedupdemon, Bozoman500 and Louis like this.
  7. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I’ve only heard one sim dev talk about curved screens,be it a single or triple setup,I can’t remember why but he advised against them,especially for triple setups