Monitor "display area" difference in triple screen?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex72, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Hey guys, Im looking at buying a new monitor to fit my side monitors which are 0,7inch bigger than my middle monitor and which has caused me headaches when it comes to lining up the world. Now ive found a monitor that has all the same specs down to the mm but the "display area" is slightly different. My sides are 78,15% and the new middle monitor im looking at is 84,41%. The question is: will this mess with lining up the world? All the specs are the same otherwise and they are all 24inch, same width, height down to the mm, exact same aspect ratio, pixel density, pixel pitch etc. The only difference is "display area" with ~6%.

Its the same brand/model but the model is 1 gen newer so they look the same and are the same on everything bar the display area.

What do you guys think?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Something to keep in mind, and maybe I'm missing something myself so if anyone can advise please do...

I have 3 identical screens. I lined them up nicely, parallel (top and bottom), angled toward me. Using a light at my eye position I verified the reflection of that light was right in the middle of all 3 screens. Yet, for whatever reason, in rF2 and one of the truck sims that has *very* flexible screen port adjustment, I can't get things to line up correctly.

Don't get me wrong, it looks good. I can see to the sides. But if I have a fence spanning 2 screens, it doesn't form a straight line. I'm of the opinion it should if the displays are configured correctly. rF2 has quite good configuration (not as flexible as some games, but they're rare) and I expected to be able to get it spot on, but so far I haven't managed it.

So I wouldn't assume because you're struggling with a slightly different screen size, it's to do with the screen size. After all, the triple screen adjustment tool in rF2 allows you to separately set the screen size and distance.

Perhaps a little late with this advice, but for such similar screen size I don't know if it's worth buying a new middle screen. If that's the only reason and then you still struggle to line it up right, it might be frustrating.

*By the way, a bigger display area with an identical visible screen size should mean smaller bezels (not necessarily the ones on the side). Again with the rF2 configuration it shouldn't matter.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Alex72 likes this.
  3. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thank you Lazza. My thoughts exactly. I am waiting for the monitor and i can return it if im not happy. Store is down my streets so its really cool that way. With the middle monitor now i cant line anything up and it always annoyed me. If i get down with my ass on the floor i can sort of line it up... I think and hope this new one will be closer at least. And you're right it does have thinner bezels so now i know what that means. Cheers.