Modifying a mod for private use

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Petethepawn, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Previously I was able to download a mod from the steam workshop (FVR Supercars) and then modify it for private use but it seems now this is no longer possible. Below were my steps
    1. Download the mod from the Steam workshop
    2. I would then copy the mod (D:\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles)
    3. I would then unsubscribe from the mod - ensuring in the packages as well as that is was no longer there.
    4. I would then simply copy back the mod (from 2) into (D:\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles) without changing anything.
    At this point I was then free to modify the mod, add my own custom stuff (private use only) and it would work perfectly. Now when I try the above, it deletes the files from installed\Vehicles. I can understand why it shouldn't work, but it used to work and I have made backups from mods that will work this way - but it is not the latest build I want. So 100% something has changed to either the way the mod is created or in RF2 itself - any tips for how to get this working again?

Update: I found a backup of one of the mods that I used the approach above - all I did was copy into Installed\Vehicles and it worked perfectly. So its definately an issue with the mod which now seems to prevent copying. As stated this is 100% for private use only, but I would love to know how to work around whatever is preventing it now on the latest version of the mod.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  2. redapg

redapg Registered

Maybe it works when you do this:
    Before you put the Folders back into the Installed\Vehicles Folder, rename the Sub-Folder(s) with the Version Number and the mft Entry accordingly to that.
    For Example: if the Sub-Folder with the Version Number is 5.20, rename it to 5.20my and in the mft File, that is stored in that Folder, change the Entry Version=5.20 into Version=5.20my too.
    If there are more than 1 Version Subfolder, do it with all of them.

Petethepawn likes this.
  3. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Thank you for that, I will give that a try and let you know. Appreciate the response.

4. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Close but no cigar - after I make the changes it doesn't delete it - but I can't see it either as a mod package.
    Installed\Vehicles Folder - I copied the two folders
    FVR_Supercars _2020_FM - inside was a single folder called 10.09
    FVR_V8Supercars_2020_ZB - inside was a single folder called 10.09
    I changed it from 10.09 to 10.09a (for both)
    I then went into the .mft of each and changed the version from 10.09 to 10.09a
    Screenshots attached.
    Did I miss something?

Attached Files:

• 123.PNG
      123.PNG
      File size:
      13.6 KB
      Views:
    • 456.PNG
      456.PNG
      File size:
      50.2 KB
      Views:
    • 789.PNG
      789.PNG
      File size:
      53.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  5. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Comparison to the version which does work (but older version) - I just paste into Installed\Vehicles Folder and presto it works

Attached Files:

6. redapg

redapg Registered

@Petethepawn I didn't test it, sorry.
    You can also try this (also not tested).
    Subscribe to the Mod again.
    Go to the Workshop Folder ..\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960 and search for the rfcmp(s) of the Mod.
    Copy them and paste them into your Packages Folder, where you put rfcmp that you install manually.
    Unsubscribe from the Mod and check if the installed Folders and the Workshop Folders are deleted.
    Start the Game, install it manually with the Content Manager, close the Game and start it again.
    Is it still there or removed again?

EDIT If that also won't work, repackage the Mod. That works definitely.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    buzz hornet and Petethepawn like this.
  7. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Thanks I’ll give it a try and let you know the outcome.

8. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

That approach worked perfectly (\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960) thanks so much for your help.

Emery, buzz hornet and redapg like this.