Modeling a Scooter Tire & Using tTool

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Shane Howell, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Shane Howell

Shane Howell Registered

I'm working on a project with my university (more posts coming). We're recreating our solar-electric car to aid with driver training and car development. I have the car in game and working on track using a modified version of the Skip Barber physics files.

Currently, I've modified the the Skip Barber tires to have roughly the same dimensions as the scooter tires we're using, the Michelin City Grip 2, 90/80-R16. But since it's a scooter tire it's more than twice as narrow as any tire in the database, additionally, the tire has an almost entirely round cross section.

I currently have attempted to recreate the cross section in the TGM spreadsheet:

upload_2020-11-30_20-28-31.png
    This is approximate, and the tire has a constant thickness, I'll update these when I get the chance to cut the tire open. I know that I need more data like the ply materials and how they're spaced and angled one the tire is cut open too.

I've also got the tire to show up in tTool, and I've made a couple basic tests using the QSA test sheet

My question is, one I have all the data in the TGM sheet, and I've moved on to the QSA sheet, am I just running the tests there (qsa_custom_0, _1, _2, etc.)? Also, what do I do with the data that I get from these tests?

Or, is it worth it to trying to run tests in tTool and , or should I just try to resize an existing tire to the approximate cross section?

Or just in general, any tips on tire creation?