Modding tyres...

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by tjc, Nov 5, 2014.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Hi all...

A quick question.

I`ve seen some leagues put there own logo`s or designs etc on the tyres on some cars... the URD mod cars for eg.

How would I go about doing that? I fancy giving it a try (when I find some time lol) but wouldn`t really know where to start.

Any info on this would be very much appreciated.

:)

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

It's basicly texture updates unless you wan't to add more compounds, each compounds tyre wall is "animated" by 3-4 textures which have none-some-more blur to it (used by the engine depending on the RPM of the wheel)

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Hi WiZPER...

I think we may be talking about two different things here, if we are it`s because I haven`t explained myself very well so sorry for that.

I`m not really talking about blur... what I`d like to change (for private use) is the logo`s on the tyre wall sides as in this screen.

[​IMG]

The "Michemin" logo... how would I go about changing them?

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

This would be the first texture of the series that each compound requires - as explained before. Blur is not really optional, unless you wan't really funky looking tyres. Once the car gets rolling it's pick one of the other blurred textures :)

- in other words, the entire WALL of the tyre is a single texture, there is no "logo" feature.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh ok...

Sounds like a lot of work then...

If you know of any tuts that shed some light on changing the tyre walls etc please let me know.

I think it might be too much for a learner to attempt but I`d like to try.

If you have any pointers on where/how I`d go about this I`d appreciate that.

If not, no worries.

6. RJames

RJames Registered

It's quite easy to do, I'll try to write up a how to guide this week with demos etc however the basics I would say play with now are:

Take the existing twall dds texture file and open it in photoshop, then edit away and add your logos etc. (Perfect for practicing with but slightly lower quality than using original PSD).

Once you have done that save it as the TWALL texture.

Now to add the blur, simply add a radial blur to the texture at a set %. Depending on the number of blurs (of which can be set in the "cockpitinfo.ini" for the car for example:

Code:
    WheelSpeedAnims=3              // default is 3, but up to 6 *speed* anims allowed, multiplied by any number of graphical tire compounds

Let's look at the above and see WheelSpeedAnims - this is telling you how many different textures there is: so 3 = TWALL00, TWALL01, TWALL02 For a single compound/tire type. Start with that.

So back in photoshop, we know we have 3 different textures to be shown.

TWALL00 = Static Car, Wheel not moving
    TWALL01 = Moving Car, Wheels turning slowly
    TWALL02 = Moving Car, Wheels turning fast

So for the radial blur I would have nothing for TWALL00, Aprox 30% for TWALL01 and Aprox 60% for TWALL02. Obviously saving them as you go along. The % i put here are just guesses but your visually be able to see if it looks correct or not.

Then simply put those texture files into your mod and package.

As said, i'll try to write up a proper Guide this week when i can open one of my packages and take screens of each process.

Rob.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  7. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

That would be really helpful! I myself am looking into changing the tyre brand. The Formula ISI 2012 mod is using some form of Pirelli logo, but I want to change it to Goodyear if I can. Actually is there a way where I can have half the field on Goodyear tyres and the other half on say Michelin tyres? It's a long shot I know but if anyone know's that would be amazing, but if not that's fine :)

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Hi Rob...

Sorry for the late reply here. I kinda thought this thread was a goner tbh but really pleased you posted up this info.

I`m not at my sim rig atm but will give things a try when I`m home soon.

Would be great if you could find the time to do the guide/tut but the above info is a good start.

I`ll keep more of an eye on this thread now too...

Cheers.

9. RJames

RJames Registered

Absolutely you can, you first need to setup your tires.tbc file up with all of your compounds. Then you just setup the wheel animation images. I believe the maximum you can have is 12 animation images including the wheels at a stop.

So for example you could have 2 tire types let's say "Pirelli Softs" and "Michelin Softs" setup in your tire file. As you can have up to 12 animation images, it would mean you could use 6 for each (setting WheelSpeedAnims=6 in the cockpitinfo.ini file).
    Another example is that you could have 4 compounds, Pirelli Softs, Pirelli Med, Michelin Softs, Michelin Med would mean you could have 3 animations per type to equal your total 12.

The guide is coming, i'll most likely do it as a video as its much easier to try and show what i'm explaining.

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Ok, sounds good. :)

11. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Thanks so much for the reply RJames, that is great news to know it's possible! It might sound a little silly, but I am unsure where to find the tire folder you mentioned. :)
    Thanks mate

12. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Where can I find the tire files? I have looked everywhere but I cant fin them? :confused:

So In my series "based of Formula ISI 2012' my teams will be using Michelin tires and Firestone tires. Some teams are using Michelin, and others are using Firestone? Is there a direct way to choose which teams use which tire brand?

13. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Where are you up to? Did you find the tyre files?

15. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

No I have no idea where they are :confused:

16. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I just had a thought on how to have specific drivers (teams) on different tyre brands. For instance in my Virtual mod I have 12 teams and 24 drivers. 8 of those teams are using Michelin, where the other 4 are using Firestone.

So perhaps I could make two RFCMP components, rather than the one vehicle set. My RFCMP vehicle component I made was FV_2015. Though I can have instead; FV2015_Michelin and FV2015_Firestone. Obviously I would edit each of their car.mas file which contains the TWALL.dds files. I would then change these in photoshop to Firestone or Michelin, repackage both of the car.mas and make the RFCMP components again.

I would add both components FV2015_Michelin and FV2015_Firestone into my virtual mod and install.

I thought this might be interesting to share. :)

17. RJames

RJames Registered

Had totally forgotten about this thread.

I setup and provided 2 different tire manufacturers for our endurance league last year, this is how i set it up.

Within my main mas file i had 2x tire.TBC files - manufacturer1.TBC, manufacturer2.TBC - each of the TBC files was setup with the correct info linking to the TGM files.
    also within my main mas file i had all the individual tire files e.g. man1-soft-front.TGM, man1-soft-rear.TGM, man2-soft-front.TGM, man2-soft-rear.TGM etc for each compound.
    I setup the upgrades file to allow teams to pick the tire manufacturer they wanted (obviously we set a rule that once a manufacturer was chosen they had to stick with it)
    Within the upgrades file i had code like:
    Code:
    //////// Simautosport Tire Branding //////////////////////////////////

UpgradeType="Tyre Brand Selection"
    {
      UpgradeLevel="MICHEMIN"
      {
        Description="MICHEMIN Endurance Tyres"
    	CPIT=TireCompoundMap=(0,2,4)
    	CPIT=SpinnerCompound=0
      }
      UpgradeLevel="FUNLOP"
      {
        Description="FUNLOP Endurance Tyres (Simautosport WIP)"
        CPIT=TireCompoundMap=(1,3,5)
    	CPIT=SpinnerCompound=2
        HDV=[GENERAL]
        HDV=TireBrand=FUNLOP_TIRES.tbc
      }
    }
    You will notice the lines TireCompoundMap and SpinnerCompound, this is where i basically told it which dds files to use.

18. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

So would this be possible for offline AI. I have 12 teams run by AI, can I choose which of those teams have which tyre brand?

19. RJames

RJames Registered

That i'm not sure on i'm afraid, however your method of 2 rfcmp's would work in that instance :)

20. tjc

tjc Registered

Mmm... I need a video... :p