Modding support, paid items, making content unique, etc

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Will Mazeo, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Probably a not so popular wishlist and very unlikely, but worth a try.

1 - Invest on modding tools to make building tracks and cars faster/"easier" and as much as possible modded "inside the game".

2 - Make the game ship with all textures, shaders, etc inside it so modders can use them by linking it, that would hopefully make mods have same performance and looks (protecting the image of the game) and in the future if they are updated/replaced modders (and S397 themselves) wouldn't have to rework anything

3 - Make the game not work anymore with content that does not come from the workshop (allow full control to take down stuff stolen from other games, and needed for other points bellow).

4 - For tracks: "choose" modders and modding groups to build tracks that wont be licensed or are unlikely to be in a 3PA program and give them fantasy names like Matsusaka.

5 - Allow these tracks and cars to be sold in the item store (integrated in the new UI would be even better) for a recommended price if the modder wants to. Let's say recommended price is $3 (+ Steam fee) S397 takes $1 and the modder takes the rest. Some S397 artists themselves could form groups (for point #4 above) and make an extra $$$ maybe. Maybe start an outside store like RaceRoom where we can buy stuff and pay for it in Steam ;)

6 - Make content unique (second reason for point #3). Mods done in that 3PA programs cant have a second version, unless it's historic. And whenever a car or track is officially licensed the free/paid mod version without a license is removed from the workshop. That would IMO help 3rd party to continue wanting to sell licensed stuff in rF2 and if S397 themselves manage to get a good deal to license a track/car people would have to buy it.

7 - After a while make the game work only with content that is built using the stuff provided by S397 (point #2).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    patchedupdemon and Sergio Loro like this.
  2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Do you want to get rid of the few modders who are still here?
    For me, the interesting part of modding, is to create own things and not to put together things from others.
    And i think i'm not the only one.

Guimengo and Louis like this.
  3. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

I'm very annoyed to see 1000 different versions of the same tracks/cars and to change them everytime i join a league. 100% agree on this point, imo mods should be only complementary. For example, we have officials AMG, Radical, Bentley, McLaren and Corvette GT3? Good, a mod should be the BMW M6 GT3 which must be balanced with official cars (at this point a help from S397 is required).
    Same with the next Endurance pack and enduracers mod (oh, URD also, which is even a paid mod), it's obvious that this does not help to sell DLC.

I would like to add another point: give the oppurtunity to join a server and race if you don't own the full pack, make me race with my purchased Radical GT3 vs other GT3s (just an example, not my case).

4. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

No.
    I'm not the modding police and this is the only way I'm able to enjoy good quality famous tracks like Nords, Mugello, Spa, etc, because we all know S397 doesn't have the resources to do it.
    I'll never understand the drama some ppl make about rips as if they were the original developers and losing royalties over it or something.
    Everyone is free to choose to install it or not. If I go to hell for doing it, so be it.

Louis likes this.
  5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

It's not personal Will but ... this is the worst wish a user could have made.

It's really invoking the devil (LOL).

Let's take my example (but I'm not talking about it for myself, this is just an example) :

I spent 90% of my time on RF2 on the scanned laser version of the Nordschliefe (and there will never be other alternatives [for somebody who drive and/or know really the Nords].

And what about RaceRfactor, the only modder to offer all Grand Prix, essential content but partially illegal (privately authorized).

No !!

This is the worst wish we could have imagined for the future of RF2 ...

Again, nothing personal.
    But I can not let that be said!

Louis likes this.
  6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

You will go to the "Green Hell" !
    There is worse :)

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That's why I said the idea would not be popular. But I'm 100% sure it would bring tracks with much better quality and faster pace than what we have now with this "freedom".

If you had read everything you'd actually understand that the idea does bring the tracks you mentioned, all with proper quality and performance. I'm sure Nords and Spa would (or will be) officially licensed at some point. S397 does seem to be the kind of people that will go for it, same for the other F1 tracks ;)

People may disagree as much as they want it's fine. Nothing else will get tracks from all over the world covered with equal quality and performance compared to the official tracks.

That depends... how many are still making things from scratch? 3~5 guys? Yeah if that idea would happen and they leave but we get all Australian tracks covered, or ovals in US for example with quality similar to S397 tracks, that's far more win than loss in my book :D

lagg likes this.
  8. Louis

Louis Registered

:D

Its like an iphone and apple store but without the good hardware and userbase. So its just like an empty apple store

9. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I did read it but just because S397 chooses a group to mod a specific track doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna be as accurate as the laser scanned rips.
    Take Nords for example....who am I to say the guys that made the Nords track that is posted here in the forums aren't a good group of modders, the track looks great and all, but sorry to say it's very inaccurate.

I'll just take this as it is, a wishlist, not planning on going on a big argument about it. Just like I said, i'll never understand people that make huge drama about rips (not necessarily saying you are one of them). Freedom of choice is a lovely thing, you can either choose to install it or not, that easy.

ebeninca likes this.
  10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

But because it's a 3PA the quality/accuracy have to checked ;)
    And no worries, I make use of mods with content from other games, and helped making some too. But I believe they should go anyway.

11. McNolo

McNolo Registered

In my opinion, the new competition system in which S397 is working, will demand (as it can not be otherwise) legal content, but "prohibiting" another type of content would not only be a bad idea, it would be a mortal wound for rFactor. Free modding is essentially for what this simulator was created and the reason why it achieved success. There are many people and many leagues that enjoy this simulator for what they can do with it and for the large amount of content that exists (better or worse, but a lot to choose from). To remove that would be to remove the heart of rFactor and would surely lose users massively.

Apart from that, I think it would be quite difficult technically to avoid that kind of content, but that's another story.

Doogal, ebeninca, Louis and 1 other person like this.
  12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yep and I think it's time to change it :) and I totally disagree that it would make the game lose players considering the idea is to bring content with proper quality, performance and visuals that fits the original ones.
    But just an idea, dont know why people got so nervous about it :D

13. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I don't think anyone got nervous....I don't see it happening because of what McNolo said, it's basically a suicide but that's what this forum is for, discussing stuff ;)

Louis likes this.
  14. Louis

Louis Registered

I wonder what will happen when someone release better car mods than official content or the Urd situation (selling this type of content but without licensing, i believe).

15. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Sounds reasonable to me to try and ensure a quality control of content.

They could have an official and non official section within the workshop,but both are moderates to check for rips.

It doesn’t prohibit folks from using other non official mods in private leagues,and in a way would protect s397 from potential issues with users using ripped content on their service.

I think with a lot of help from s397,it would enable modders to up their game,as we have very talented modders here,just look at the classic 1986 f1 cars,they are top notch.

16. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Will Mazeo You should be thankful every day and praise the lord, that all these modders exist and bring content into this video game, because without them doing that, rfactor would have died in 2007 or 2008 already and you could not spread your weird ideas today in this forum. :D

DaREALMastaD and filippu like this.
  17. Skan

Skan Registered

I like idea #1.

18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Dont worry, I'm thankfull. If it had died in 2007 would change nothing in my life tho, but I'm thankfull.

19. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I fully agree with Will.
    I played (and still) some converted tracks or cars but to be honest except some modders taking care to give their mods the same look/feel/mood the other ones are really ugly/annoying/meh
    About S397 sharing materials (not only props but even textures) they stated can be a problem due to properties, etc, etc but I fully agree this could help.
    AC is a good example, they released a modest number of tracks and people started to pretend the same level of detail from modders, rF2 due the excessive "freedom" get we used to take all no matter the quality just in order to have something to race.
    I think after Sebring and another couple of tracks if leagues and users starts to avoid bad/ripped/unfinished mods something will/could change...

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yep, there is a issue sharing this stuff, reason why sending it with the game "dodge" this restriction, if I'm not mistaken Wreckfest does that