Modders, please populate the Steam Workshop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Associat0r, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Remote content does not have an ISI approval itself. It immediately appears available after checking the component. You simply need to point the rfcmp file (so that rF2 gets the signature) and provide the download URL.

I understand, and it is obvious, that doubtful content may be reported and removed by ISI if proceeds. I would say it works conceptually the same as the Steam Workshop in terms of content approval. I wanted to simply clarify this.

For those worrying about me. I have lifetime license already. I will not buy a second copy because I don't need 2 copies. I haven't needed a 2nd license until today and simply cannot understand why the release of the game in steam could change that.

I will eventually move to steam some day. I hope this option will always be available. Today I simply can't and none of the over 40 people in our web can. We are still running B1008 in our server until B1028 is fully tested. We simply cannot afford running latest build.

It has been commented that an existing option in steam permits running different builds. The idea is to release new builds as beta. Not beta in the sense of game development but in terms of sufficient testing to guarantee stability. If issues are found in the latest released build you could jump back to previous one.

However, it would seem that when some read the word beta they enter into "panic mode" and can only reply that rF2 is not beta.

The possibility to avoid sticking to latest build would remove the biggest barrier for many people to make the move to steam.

Until that happens rF2 community will be divided into two subcomunities.

- steam users sticking to latest build and having access to workshop content. Unable to participate in leagues not using latest build.

- non steam users running older builds. No workshop. No recruiting of people using STEAM.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Steam won't create that split. The 2 largest leagues have already been doing that for a while and there will always be the odd server in a different build. The only factors come from modders releasing something on Steam Workshop but not elsewhere (don't know if it is possible to discriminate like that), and Steam taking care of package installs for leagues instead of certain users fumbling about.

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Steam prevents users running older builds. That creates the fracture.
    This workshop thing is just a secondary effect.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Please stop post misinformation... our league is running with steam and non-steam users. While in game it is not known which users has steam and not steam.

You don't like steam... we get it... and you are not moving to it... fine... post over and over and over about the same thing in EVERY THREAD won't change this.

Steam provides a portal for new users. Workshop content making it easier to install and uninstall mods. The functionality of jumping into a game that your friend is playing from your friends list.

ISI have stated their position on the beta branch (maybe unofficial as it didn't come from Gjon) but from ISI staff that know what is going on in the background. Accept that, and MOVE ON.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I understand now, Eusko. Thanks for the clarification. I always thought the mods in the Launcher all had to be approved by ISI (hence why many mods are missing). I misunderstood the system, my bad.

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I am not posting misinformation. Since you are running the latest build, you have no problems. We are not running latest build, we have problems.

As you say I have explained many times but you still don't understand the problem, I guess. I cannot help you on that.

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You shouldn't be having problems because your members don't have to switch to steam. If they did before fully understanding how it was implemented then that is their fault.

Alternatively your steam members can run steam in offline mode to stop updating build until fully tested. Welcome to PC gaming. Things break, get used to working around the problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

We have no steam members. Nobody messed up that I know.

Regarding the quoted paragraph. How come would they join our races in offline mode? When steam users get online they have to use latest build. We are not using latest build so they simply would not be able race in our champs. I think it is really easy to understand our situation.

9. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

I think you can run Steam in offline mode, while still being online and use the multiplayer portion.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Well clearly you don't know how Steam and rFactor 2 works at all.

You have no members on the steam version... SO WHERE IS THE PROBLEM?!

11. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php?p=397702

You might be right. I simply base my words in comments made by ISI staff in the thread where steam things and doubts are explained.
    Next time I will definitely ask you instead of relying on less trustful information.

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Race Dept has tons of racing leagues and most, if not all the games are on Steam.

Just saying.

13. coops

coops Banned

AGREE there flatout using the third party mod section on this forum... get more off FACEBOOK

14. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

There is nothing wrong in what I said in that thread.

At the time Steam will be connected to the internet it will update. The only way to avoid an update it's to play offline.

If there is an update in the ramp, and you are still online (for example because you have other games to update etc) you can't go offline and run the game. These are actual Steam guidelines: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

Then you are free, of course, to update your rFactor 2 and then immediately go offline and stay there. Your call.

15. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Sorry but this is starting to be terribly confusing. And the question is very simple.

If our league hosts a server with old build 1008, can a steam user access that server?

I say that he can't because that is what I understood from Tuttle's post. However Woodee claims that can go offline and do so and that I have no idea how rF2 works. I think it is him who has no idea or simply is not capable of understanding the rised problem.

16. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I think the confusion comes from that "offline" term. Offline mode does not means you can't access MM.

You can go offline using the Steam offline mode. This mode prevent rF2, as other games in your library, to not receive the real time update (does not matter the assigned priority). Using this mode you can't access Steam online servers (but this is not a problem in your case).

If your Steam users have the specific build you want to be used in your league, and they are offline with Steam - they should be able to access your server via MM.

Of course this means these guys are gonna miss other games updates too and they can't access Steam servers in the meanwhile. Means keeping steam offline until your League decide to move to latest and give the greenlight to other guys.... and btw this is a trick you can do just 1 time (and in just 1 direction) as you can't roll back or jump between a builds list.

BTW, I'm pretty sure we will find a proper way to make everybody happy (oh well, I hope LOL)... for now just try to manage the situation. :)

17. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Thanks for clarifying it. Indeed it was the term offline which made me understand that it was not posible to play online with older builds. Now I understand.

I guess for users that only use steam with rF2 this is a good option. But can you also prevent steam from updating rF2? I have Race Track Builder, SCE, PC and AC in steam. Many other people in my community are already steam users for other titles. We need to update those.

If not available it would be a great option for steam to include the possibility not to automatically update a certain title without authorisation. Under those conditions leagues would be in a better place since they could recruit newcomers and ask them to stay in a certain build.

However, for league admins (among others), it is essential to be able to test a new build to decide whether updating or staying. For us still not an option to move to steam.

As I said the possibility of rolling back to an older build seems to be available within regular steam options. The feature is apparently called "beta" but has certainly nothing to do with development state. Nvidia and many other release beta versions to test for stability in a massive way (equivalent to old unstable releases). Before releasing an official build a beta version could be released. People would feedback on forum if major flaws were found.

The old unstable release system failed due to two reasons:

- The amount of time given for testing was absolutely insufficient. You cannot expect someone to have rF2 at his highest priority and change his agenda because an unstable build has been released. Many of us have a job and a family.

- unstable releases were poorly announced and not very friendly to access. It seemed that you didn't want people to test them!
    iMO excessive care was taken to prevent non advanced users to mess something up. Now that rolling back would be easier I would suggest to reconsider the idea. You don't want a bad build spoiling ISI rep shortly after making the jump to steam.

And thanks for caring as you end your post. It really means something. I really appreciate it.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Historic 6 cars, 3 colours, 3 car slots, rim gap issue, bad HDR, no CPM, the same speedo hud

After 4 years and being among the oldest cars..........yeah sorry it did spoil it for me. :) .......................hint hint hint lool

"I can wait 15 years for IOM Full road. p

But 5 years for me F3 ! .....I just don't know if I can take it anymooorrreeee !@! "

lopl

19. stonec

stonec Registered

None of the other racing sims out on Steam have any kind of rollback or beta option, neither does iRacing which runs tons of leagues. I think your points, while intending to make it easier for league users, are actually confusing the average user even more and makes the community more rather than less fragmented. The only way to not have a fragmented community is to have everyone running on the same (latest) build, otherwise you have to cherry-pick which servers you can join.

It's already difficult enough in rF2 to find a server you can join, there is no need to make it more difficult with betas, unstables, etc. I'm 99% sure that League of Legends, Dota, CS or any other big eSports games don't allow competitions to be run in different builds even when there is big money at stakes. It's simply a leftover from rF2 beta times.

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Could not agree more, like Tuttle said Non-Steam is there for anything you can't do in Steam at this stage.

OT

As for community fragmentation iRacing has how many drivers to service how many combos (excluding layouts) I think it would be in the double digits per room. ?

rF2 online does not have enough drivers to run a chook raffle for each combo let alone 3rd party content ......hehehe
    I don't think even iRacing members could cover all that. :)

Open room logic to me dictates you have less content for less drivers as numbers grow you expand it.

Does that matter though ?

To Offline ? No ..........they can drive what they like.
    To Leagues and pass-worded rooms ? No....... they run handpicked content so what do they need to care for the rest.
    To Open Rooms ? Yes .... less content less mods means more drivers per room.
    In the big scheme of things ? No ......as open roomers are just one part of the equation, same as Leagues are. ;)

So my answer to fragmentation is ......... oh wait I can't pose a hypothetical solution for a future hypothetical sim. lol ;)