SOLVED Missing content after Steam 'reset'

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by DavidG, Oct 11, 2018.

1. DavidG

DavidG Registered

I suffered a minor disaster yesterday when Steam decided to re-set my account and force me to log in again. Once I had done so, I found that my Steam settings had reverted to defaults, PC2 was no longer installed (and has lost all my saved data) and rFactor 2, whilst installed and still able to run, insisted on downloading and re-installing all my workshop content. All 117 items!

This it has now done, but not without a couple of problems. I few items didn’t re-install, despite still being ‘subscribed’ (Laguna Seca and the A1 GP car at least, there may be others that I haven’t noticed yet), but the main issue is that the Endurance Pack cars will not appear within the game and, whilst Sebring does appear in the Track list, it won’t load. They all show in the Content list and appear as if they are installed (i.e. in italic with a * after), but the cars just won’t show up in the game itself. I’ve tried unsubscribing and re-subscribing, and, whilst they get re-downloaded when I do, the cars still don’t show up in the car list. In fact, even when unsubscribed, they still appear in the Content list as if installed.

As I said, Sebring is showing in-game, even when unsubscribed, but when I try to drive the track, the loading screen initially appears and then I get an ‘Error loading mesh file STRAIGHT_IPB.GMT to memory’ error and the game CTD’s.

I had a Race Event created for the cars (which included Sebring) and installed at the time of the crash. This however, was still present once the game had sorted itself out and has since been uninstalled (and re-installed), without any effect. The event did include the missing Laguna Seca track originally, which I removed before re-installing the mod. Also, Sebring and the EP cars are the only items showing with 2 entries (e.g. V2.32 & v2.33 in the case of the Corvette) in the content list.

Can anyone explain to me how I get around this issue please?

Whilst I’m on, I wanted to ask whether anyone has experienced the loss of the default Safety Car? Mine changed some time ago (possibly last year in fact) and, instead of a Corvette, I had an A1 GP car as my Safety Car (this was the first mod in the list). I had never bothered to do anything about this, but did think that it might have corrected itself when all the content was refreshed. It hasn’t though, and I now have an AC Cobra Safety Car (the new first car in the list). Whilst I’m not unduly concerned about this – I actually rather like having a Cobra Safety Car – I am curious as to why it is and whether there is something I could do to fix it, should I desire (short of uninstalling and re-installing everything)?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I don't know if it helps you, but you could try to remove all mas files from the folder 'rFactor 2\Installed\rFm' and all mft files from the folder 'rFactor 2\Manifests'.
    Then let steam make an integrity check of your installation.
    It should download at least the 'all cars and tracks' mft and mas file.
    And maybe also your missing content gets installed then.

3. DavidG

DavidG Registered

Thanks for the reply Bernd. That's fixed the Safety Car issue, but the problem with the Endurance Pack items and Sebring persists. Does anyone have any other thoughts?

4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Maybe if you delete the folders of the missing components in the installed/locations and installed/vehicles folders and start steam and rfactor then.
    Do you have autoupdate enabled?

5. DavidG

DavidG Registered

That's done the trick. Thank you for your help Bernd.

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

You are welcome.