Mirrors in rF2!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pedro ramada, Dec 25, 2020.

1. pedro ramada

pedro ramada Registered

Hello guys.

I've decided that is more than time that i manifest my frustration with this!!

So... regarding mirros in rF2... always a big issue and makes sometimes people lost more time than it should in something that should be so much simple!

Example: C8.R... to have a clear and centered mirror position to see properly to the back i've had to be with my seat position almost "siting in the dashboard of the car " just to have the mirror in a correct way... and totally compromise the Actual Important seat position that i've wanted that was more in a realistic position... meaning in the actual seat of the car lol... but obviously in that seat position the mirror was pointing way to the left and to the sky!! I urgently ask for you guys to fix this thing once for all because in some cars it's really ridiculous what we have to compromise in ideal seat position just to see behind properly!!

Why not use a similar way has AMS 2 uses for example that the mirror position is always the same perfect position in height and centered regardless of seat position!! I know that in real life we have to adjust mirrors but the way rF2 mirros work.... most of the times like i said we compromise completley our ideal seat position! This can not happen! Come on.. please S397... fix this.... especially now with the competition system starting in a big way... :) mirrors are of key importance!

Thanks!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

3. pedro ramada

pedro ramada Registered

Lazza thanks man .. yes i've seen that post and i know about all of that... but my point is very clear and simple... imagine now new people coming to rF2 and using it for the first time... why they have to do all of this things just to have mirrors more or less in a good position!? Why not mirrors in rF2 be setting in a diferent way!?? See my point? It's only this!

Reiche likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, I do understand, just wanted to make sure.

Reiche and pedro ramada like this.
  5. pedro ramada

pedro ramada Registered

Please S397.... take a closer look at this... i'm sure you guys can find a way to simplify this a lot!!

Thanks

6. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Lot a little quirks like that unfortunately... and along the years it became clear that is was to much work for the dev to consider, fixing. Which is most likely a mistake, but hey...
    Favorite sim by a mile and I can't even recommend it to my friends... when they ask I have to redirect them to ACC.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

rF2 is deep, complex, buggy, and in some areas outdated. But it is also rewarding, challenging and cutting edge. That is why so many users here offer time and effort to help inform folks about features. I'm sure they could simplify many things. Actually it would be very easy, just slap Pcars2 on the label. A recurring theme over the past few months has been users coming from other titles asking that rF2 be more like what they are used to. My answer is rF2 and it's predecessors have been around for more than a decade. Why didn't the other guys take the hard road and copy rF2?

David Short likes this.
  8. zaphman

zaphman Registered

Adjustability must be there, but must be more obvious. Some hard to remember key combinations is not very user friendly. No, a simple widget/blackbox, easy to reach, visible when driving, controlled by the "cursor" keys (or/and d-pad), where you have pitch, yaw, "zoom", and whatever more possibilities we have.

davehenrie likes this.
  9. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Registered

Haven't tried it yet, from player.json:

"Moving Rearview":4,
    "Moving Rearview#":"Whether mirrors respond to head movement in cockpit (0=none, 1=position-only, 2=FOV-only, 3=both) - add 4 if you want to IGNORE head-tracking movement",

Try it with "0".
    BTW, from my understanding, Studio 397 took rF2 in a way that was not perfect - they have to read the code, interpret it and now make the changes they consider adequate or requested. I hope I'm reading it right and that could lead to major improvements in near future.

marmagas likes this.
  10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

If you set "Moving Rearview":0, you lose the ability to move all mirrors together: shift+seat doesn't work
    So I've been told, but I reckon mirrors are overrated. ;)

11. pedro ramada

pedro ramada Registered

The fix for me was.... "Moving Rearview":0,

Now in all cars are with the center virtual mirror (and also mirror cam in dasboard of cars ) is centered and with the correct height by default!

We can not move virtual center mirror true... but we can move left and right mirrors in all cars to whatever position we want!

Finally :D to have my seat positions freely has i want with no issues in correct centering position of center virtual mirror!

Thanks guys! :)

gt911 and Corti like this.
  12. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Registered

Im into day 2 of my rfactor 2 experience and I spent the whole first day wondering what the intent was of having the mirrors pointing where they were. It was only after reading the forum and coming across the very helpful link in post 2 that describes how to adjust them that I got it figured out. After 2 years of PC2 Im kind of used to tinkering with strange settings but I agree its a bit of a barrier to new people and can only hurt the effort to increase the player base. Its an own goal in that sense. Good thing the sim itself is so flipping awesome, although I can see lots of tinkering still ahead. As a logitech wheel user I had to dive into the user files for the fix to get my physical wheel to match the in car wheel displacement. Just another fabric in the rich tapestry of life ;)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  13. Joaquim Pereira

Yes, the key word is "together", you can still move them independently - that's what you need! ;)

14. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

hm, the adjustable mirrors are the first thing i miss in every other sim :D

15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Yes but mods have been released without independent adjustment for side mirrors. Oh so primitive. o_O

16. Joaquim Pereira

Yes, with my Thrustmaster I also had to. It seems rF2 changes Thrustmaster driver settings and as soon as I go drive AC, for instance, the physical wheel rotation was changed to match the car I was driving in rF2 (ex. 540ยบ).
    It shouldn't be that hard to provide menu options for that (in and advanced menu) - the fact we have to touch txt files is... well... so '80's.

17. Luiz Paulo Abreu

Luiz Paulo Abreu Registered

Hi, I have been racing for quite a while in rf2, without proper side mirrors adjustment (the default is pointing in useless direction), simply because it doesnt work for me!
    I decided to put some energy on it now and after trying hard, still no success.
    When I adjust acc. to https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/mirror-adjustment-guide-and-tips.60593/, i see the mirrors paramters changing, the dude screams "mirror", but the mirrors just dont move in any direction. I have tried changing "Moving Rearview" to 0 and 4, no success.
    I am using VR Valve index via SteamVR.
    Anyone with the same issue? Any insights how to get this fixed?
    It started to became pretty anoying to me not having the side rear mirrors.

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

while the mirror is moving, and Mirror, mirror voice is screaming, look to the lower left, there should be numbers moving in relation to the movement of the mirror. Usuually the range is from -100 to +100. (up/down & left/right) if you have hit the 100 value, the voice will still scream but the mirror won't move further.

19. Luiz Paulo Abreu

Luiz Paulo Abreu Registered

Thanks for the reply Dave. Unfortunately It doesnt move even before the +-100 range.
    Is there any paramters in player.sjon file i should check?

20. redapg

redapg Registered

Which Mod(s) do you use?
    What you describe happens when a Car Mod is not set up properly by the Modder.
    Mirrors need to be build in a special Way to be moveable at all and also independently movable.