Minimum Recommended Server Specs for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Tripp

Tripp Registered

ha ha ha ha

2. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
  3. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

btw: the solution is:

a*x²-a*x+c

a=ammount of data one player has to send(position etc)
    c=ammoutn of data server sends to masterserver(pingpackets, track, session, players, pw? etc)

it would be nice to know a & c

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It should be... but analysing numbers given in first posts (check whole discussion), rf2 data bandwidth is not a quadratic function.
    I still think that they has something broken or given data are wrong. But they confirmed that a few times.

Data of single client are quite small. You can meassure it connecting to server and meassure only upload stream. Note, that default settings of communication are 64/64 kbps which is too small imo. But I don't know if setting it to another values will affect data bandwidth.

5. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

Wow alot more analysis went into those number than I thought. These are theoretical numbers based on new features like dynamic track changes (ie the condition of the entire track surface changes and weather data like shadow from the clouds). In practice, we using culling and priority techniques that further the complexity of any analysis. The numbers I gave Tim were the extents or the worst case. Our heuristics that analyze a given situation and optimize for it have worked well in the past and still seem to hold up in rF2 even with these new data loads.

Note that the worst case is a situation where a given number of clients are in very close spatial proximity (like at the start) on a track with quickly changing weather and accelerated road conditions (ie like time scale set to x50 or something).

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Some things i noticed during online racing.

On a fully populated 30 player server i receive 7,7KB/s (7,7*8=61,6kbps) with default settings in multiplayer.ini (ISDN, 64kbps). That was a bit laggy and sometimes the car in front of me came to a sudden hold and i can't avoid a crash. The server admin told me he limited the server upload to 128kbps per player. I changed the "Net connection Type" value in multiplayer.ini from "2" (ISDN) to "3" (128kbps) and the corresponding values, "Upstream Rated KBPS" and "Downstream Rated KBPS=" to 128. This doubles my downstream rate to 15KB/s (120kbps) and the overall online experience is much smoother now.

128kbps * 30 Clients = 3840 kbps = 3,84 Mbps

If my math wasn't wrong a 4Mbit upload connection should handle easily a field of 30 cars.

On a large track like Spa it takes a while to build the race groove around the the track when joining a online practice session. Some areas have the dark groove, others are completly "untouched". After doing one or two laps it's fully loaded.

My Recommendation.
    There should be an option in the user interface to change the bandwidth settings like in rF1.
    The default bandwidth value should be 128kbps or more.

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yeah. I also found that default data rate is set to 64kbps. It is really low value. For rF1 I'm using 256kbps which is enough in most situations. I don't believe that 64kbps may be enough comparing to numbers given by devs. So I'm suggesting all to change it to 256 to get better experience.

8. Neverex

Neverex Registered

Hi everyone, this is my first post on these forums so I'll introduce myself.
    I'm 48 from Italy, grew up in Monza and have always been interested in simulations - mainly jet fighters and helos - and this is my first racing car sim. I have a real life pilot friend who introduced me to RF and we meet at my place for "battle nights". So, I got myself a G25, a 50" Tv and I think I'm all set up for RF.

Having a Quadcore with 8Gb RAM machine sitting idle in my office which can use part of a 100 Mbit connection I am thinking about setting up a dedicated server. On another machine I'm already running a TS3 server which could be used also for RF. My questions now are the following: do I need an additional licence for the server? If i dedicate 30MB/s for the RF server can I host 25-30 players? Any special settings in the configuration file of the server in order to have the same run smoothly?

Thanks for your answers

9. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

You will need a license for each PC that will be connected, so if you want to use one of your machines to HOST, you will need a license for it too.

10. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Since my math is not the greatest, and kilobits, kilobytes, etc. confuse the hell out of me.. with this connection, how many could I host? haha

[​IMG]

11. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Are you sure about that one? I believe ISI has said multiple times that hosting wouldn't require a licence, but I haven't actually tested it though.....

12. BULIT

BULIT Registered

Why my server use 600mb ram, when is empty? If i host new, server use 150-200mb (empty) So when they join driver server starts to take 600mb and when disconnected, now it's coming back to 200mb why?

13. DougSpinster

DougSpinster Registered

I have 20MB Down and 10MB Up, I also have 10GB RAM DDR3 , Chip is a AMD not a Intel, PC designed for gaming. Should I be able to host a 30 grid? / The game recommends 20 drivers?

14. Ivan Baldo

Ivan Baldo Registered

So a lot of time has passed by and so many releases, etc.
    In practice (not theory), for 30 participants and no lags at the start of the race, how much bandwidth is needed?
    I need this info to buy a server for our south american league and connection speed and used traffic are the most important variables affecting price, and we are low on money.
    Thanks a lot!!!

15. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Tried and tested... you do not need a licence to host, you do to drive :)

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

We have a server with only 16Mb/16Mb allotted to it and with a field size of about 40 it only uses about %60 of the allotted bandwidth. The dedi UI will show you how much of your allotted bandwidth (up and down) is being used. It's tricky to calculate exactly how much bandwidth you will use because it goes up exponentially as more drivers join. This is due to the fact that each driver has to receive all the data for each driver on the track. So when one more driver joins it isn't just adding X number of bytes to the upstream. It's adding X number of bytes for X number of clients.

Someone above had a good formula:

t*d^2-t*d+s

t = telemetry packet size
    d = driver count
    s = scoring info packet size

To add to the complexity, rF2 does a ton of throttling of bandwidth. For example, I will receive higher fidelity telemetry for the cars that are right in font and behind me than the cars that are on the other side to the track that are completely out of view. So using the formula above is a worst case scenario.

17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Do things such as realroad and weather evolution add to bandwidth needs or is that factored in?

18. Ivan Baldo

Ivan Baldo Registered

Thanks for the data Noel!
    60% of download or 60% of upload or 60% in each one equally?
    Thanks a lot!

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That would be included in C. But I don't know the exact values to C or T.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It was 60% on the up stream. The down stream is always less.