Minimum Recommended Server Specs for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 28, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, but internet connectivity on the network is needed to establish a LAN connection.

2. fastorro

fastorro Registered

Greats news!

Not a problem, dedicated servers typically have a minimum of 100Mbits, like ours;)

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Are you kidding?
    Maybe on LAN

4. Highharti

Highharti Registered

100Mbits (which is standard for dedicated servers) will most probably not be enough to host a full grid. I've read somewhere that the theoretical max of rF2 is 64 drivers.

Remember the 23Mbits are the average needed for only 30 drivers on the track.
    Let's assume the maximum needed for 30 drivers is 30Mbits. That would mean you'll probably need about 120Mbit for 60 drivers on the track. Keep in mind as well, that your 100Mbit connection won't really handle 100Mbit. No idea what is lost there. It won't be able to host a full grid, that's for sure.

5. maatriks

maatriks Registered

64 cars worth of data needs decent connection from client as well.

Our server has 100mbit and it seems it will be enough for us when using rFactor 2, we will that in beta of course.

Bigger problem for us is that we currently run Windows in virtual machine and it looks like we will have to do the same for rFactor 2 as well (no linux dedicated exe, oh whyyyy, be sure to forward this request to someone who can decide something like this Tim), no idea how it will perform. But that will be tested during beta as well.

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm still thinking that they do wrong measurements or/and the net-code has some issues, I tried to prove in previous posts.
    From this point of view I'm almost sure, it will be working well as in rF1.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, been hoping for an update but can understand if no one's got the time to sit down and try to work out the figures - we'll be able to work it out ourselves soon enough hopefully :)

One of rFactor's features is the way it only sends you position data for the closest cars if the server (or client) connection is nearing its limit, so I would imagine large fields won't be as bad as all that in practice (you'll only ever be close to, or really care about, 8-10 cars at any time).

Not sure where the 64 cars thing comes from though... pretty sure we haven't seen anything.

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I didn't see anywhere about Tim saying about 64 players limit either. I hope though, the real limit is much higher than that :)

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Right now we're waiting for the open beta to test at/above 30 at one time. :)

10. Francesco H.

Francesco H. Registered

I have sent this information to Keyweb AG and asked to check if my dedicated server is good enough for rFactor2:

Here is the answer from Keyweb AG
    Unfortunately, my recent posts here a bit confused, but now I'm happy and relaxed :)

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not to discourage you (I think your server will be fine, personally) but it's all pretty up in the air and very hard to say 100% for sure.

Those traffic figures from Tim are very hazy ("less than 10"? 3? 8? How many on track? How many cars in close proximity to the tested connection? etc etc etc). But, despite all the unknowns, I think a large majority of servers could handle large fields fine in rFactor and 6 years later servers will be able to handle large rF2 fields. The extra goings-on (track condition, weather, perhaps better debris handling) will have an impact but this is still rFactor - which set the standard in its first incarnation for handling bandwidth.

12. Highharti

Highharti Registered

Francesco:

If anything, you'll have the same problems like everyone else.
    I just had a quick look at their website:
    even the most expensive dedicated server they offer, only got a 100MBit connection as standard.

13. Francesco H.

Francesco H. Registered

My site is not on my dedicated server, but at another provider.
    On my dedicated server to run only rFactor Dedi and nothing else.
    Of course, only practice will show whether your hardware is sufficient, but for 25 clients should be enough already.

Hope so ;)

14. Badblood

Badblood Registered

If you haven't got adequate space... get a fire blanket :D

Although as Tim says that is not TOO hot you should be able to get lower temperatures by improving the airflow and buying a decent fan. The fan you use makes a MASSIVE difference and the stock fans are usually rubbish. Try overclockers.co.uk or quietpc.

Ooops - bit old this post. Haven't quite got the hang of these forums yet - sorry.

15. Kalle Lints

Kalle Lints Registered

What ports I need to open for server? Did not find any information about this.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

We can see that. You're supposed to ask when the beta is coming :)

17. Badblood

Badblood Registered

Hmm May not have got the hang of it but I have seen enough not to ask THAT question.... :D

18. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

lol
    Question isn't important in my opinion anyway, beta-release must be close. Tim has given hidden hints I think :) Lately he has had an avatar of a submarine, with a 'launching' torpeda, which is hinting on the launch of the beta, and after that he has had a tiger, hinting that we can soon hear the beast roar :D

on the other hand he does have an avater now where someone is staring in the distance in some natural landscape :) don't understand the hint in that :confused: lol, just kidding, or am I??? :p

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You could say that... it's out lol (I'm sure you've discovered by now)

20. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

oopsie, was reading from high to low, and their are so much post this last day, that I haven't yet seen it :p LOL

UPDATE :: Indeed, I have read it now. I could say that my post was an epic fail then :D