SOLVED Micro freezes. How to re-install RFactor2 or is it another fix.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by David O'Reilly, Oct 19, 2019.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Hi, I am getting some lags/freezes driving the Nordschliefe and got them at Sebring in multiplayer.
    I have monitored the CPU load using the CTRL C and the purple bar is fine at about 70%.
    I don't have V-Sync on.
    My frame rate is capped at 100 fps and is usually around that.
    There is one spot it frequently happens; Just when entering the Nordschliefe from the GP circuit and making the second left after the exit from GP so the first tight left hand corner. There are other random freezes. It sometimes but not always coincides with hitting a kerb (FFB? I have an OSW using MMOS).

My team have suggested re-installing RF2.

Can someone please point me in the right direction of how to reinstall?

Other ideas are welcome too.

Thanks

2. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Check your Controller.JSON for:
    "Use thread":true,
    If that is set to false, edit it to true.

You could also try the standard troubleshooting, disable any 3rd party plugins, check for background programs that may be running, turn off auto updates for installed programs...etc

David O'Reilly likes this.
  4. David O'Reilly

An update.
    I updated my drivers for my AMD HD7850 to the latest one.
    I went from 80 -100fps and an occasional micro freeze to 35fps and frequent big freezes.

I reinstalled RF2, deleted or disactivated plugins, rolled back the GPU drivers.
    I got a couple of micro freezes on my out-lap and then none. So it's better but not perfect yet.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The HD7880 is a 2mb vram board built in 2012. I'd be surprised if you could run it at much more that 12x7 in rF2. Certainly I would think the number of AI would have to be restricted. Here is a link to old drivers, it may help restore what you lost with the update. But that is one old card to try and handle the modern laser tracks S397 is releasing these days.

6. David O'Reilly

Dave you have almost single handedly caused me to upgrade my GPU.*
    I ordered an RX590 8 gig today.
    I was going to upgrade my CPU but my Motherboard is am3+ so a Ryzen won't work without new motherboard and ram sticks. So I'll suck it and see with the GPU alone.
    I like value so I buy the tech items once they have been superceded and had a price drop.

*If my wife calls don't pick up.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That card should be sufficient as long as you don't try for more than 1440p. I think I've suffered less of the usual video hardware issues due to my similar card, the older RX480x8.* 8mg of vram practically eliminates page swapping and those micro stutters the Nvidia folks get even with much faster cards. good luck with it.

*I did have some warranty issues that required the card be sent in twice....but that all seems to have been cured, well over a year now without more problems.

8. David O'Reilly

I have reinstalled the game and backdated the GPU drivers. There was some improvement but still had freezes.
    So I installed the RX590 8gb GPU and now it is fine. Looking fwds to be able to run some higher graphics settings and enjoying dusk and dawn at the Ring (if our driver rota puts me there for that).