Measuring input lag at 1000 fps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SPASKIS, Dec 23, 2017.

1. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

To add to the discussion in previous pages about vsync for people who dont have variable refresh rate monitors you can use low lag vsync and measure again.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@SPASKIS I had to reread the thread to make sure I hadn't already suggested this, as I considered it a few times: instead of rotating the wheel with your hand like that, start with your hand away from the wheel (above seems most logical) and 'hit' the wheel into motion. FFB off would be preferable so it moves more easily.

I think that would provide an easier to measure movement point, the left-right-left movements are a study in inertia and make the boundaries difficult to spot (especially in the VR display).

DJCruicky likes this.
  3. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

Maybe switching on an LED on a battery over one of the buttons on the steering wheel and then getting the difference between that and the game showing the action from that command.

[​IMG]

Lazza likes this.
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

@Lazza Where did I say I needed a better reference?
    When I can go through the video step by step I will be able to see the delay.

If you were able to see the difference between two consecutive frames you would realize that unlike real image the DK2 display refreshes the image every 13 frames. Therefore you need several reference points to make an average of the delay since the sync is out of your control. The display image will not pass through the desired reference point in every cycle.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@SPASKIS I didn't say you did. I still think that would be a better reference, even if you have to repeat it a number of times to get an average (or, more likely for that test, a minimum). But I'm not making you do anything, nor putting any words in your mouth.

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I don't really think your tips would help in the task.
    According to the experience from previous tests, the best reference for making the measurement is the moment where the wheel carries the highest speed and stays at a given position for the shortest time. This occurs at the central position where FFB is not an issue.

As I said, I don't have any problem with reference so trying to improve it is senseless.