Measuring input lag at 1000 fps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SPASKIS, Dec 23, 2017.

1. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

1ms,2ms,3ms, 4ms, that delay is non-existent, it is not visually appreciated, but the wheel turns the steering wheel notes an enormity, that happens in TV especially for the processed of images, to improve its quality, 50ms 60ms 70 or more, really driving loses a lot like that, that's why a monitor is always better than a TV, if in addition to the monitor you put 144 hertz, the improvement is huge

pd.- que mas da tener 5ms o 1ms eso no lo notaremos , lo digo por mi propia experiencia ,si giro cuando veo y no hay retraso , el que tenga un tv girara siempre mas tarde en la curva , se colara e ira pasado por tanto `perderá tiempo siempre

pd.-it's more than 5ms or 1ms that we will not notice, I say it from my own experience, if I turn when I see and there's no delay, the one with a tv will always turn later in the curve, it will go through and then it will lose always time

2. Nygaard

Nygaard Registered

What if you turn the wheel very fast from one side to the other repeatetly. i have 50 ms of input lag, and when I do this i clearly see the lag between my wheel and virtual wheel.

juanchioooo likes this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

My crappy iPhone only records at 30fps so does that mean one frame will be 33.3 milliseconds.
    I’m crap at maths

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Yes. 1000ms / 30 = 33.3ms

juanchioooo and patchedupdemon like this.
  5. Nygaard

Nygaard Registered

What kind of iphone? Iphone 6 and newer can recorded at 240 fps

6. patchedupdemon

7B0F1D5D-F035-4176-9D71-2F150E150A1D.jpeg
    I think it’s a 5s,not really into phones,as long as I can text and call someone I’m fine with it lol.

John and Nygaard like this.
  7. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I just trust the characteristics of the monitor, I can assure that at 4 ms my wheel rotates at the same time as the virtual pilot.
    if there is more delay than my eyes do not see, it will not improve my lap times

8. Nygaard

Nygaard Registered

Maybe your lag is as low as 20 ms if you cant see It. i have to make a test on a better Screen some day. :)

juanchioooo likes this.
  9. Stratoliner

Stratoliner Registered

Hi,

BUT the only thing that you know now, is the lag of the displayd steeringwheel.
    Nothing else...?

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Well, the lag of the displayed steering wheel corresponds to the delay of the image itself not only the Steering wheel. The steering wheel is the only input you can use to measure it. What else would you expect?

11. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

is that if we can not see it,does not affect driving or lap performance, it's just a simple dat ;):):)
    with 4ms in the characteristics of the monitor, I can assure you that in my case I do not notice any difference

12. Stratoliner

Stratoliner Registered

Some HUDs show Brake and Trottle Input. Both can you do digital. Maybe this HUDs show a different lag?

But I don´t know how to measure.

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It would be basically the same. I would in that case assign throttle or brake to a keyboard input (remove any sensitivity when doing so). It would be easier to get image and input in the screen while recording.

14. whitmore

whitmore Registered

This is an interesting point. I Tried different tests using various in game wheel rotation ratios. High ratio means more responsive steering input however this was not shown as a change in the lag between the real wheel and the screen image.

I was sure to use the same number of total degrees in my wheel assignment (Accuforce wheel) , and the number of degrees rotation in the game controller INI file. Test was with 360 deg rotation.

Game ratio change using the Flat 6 mod because it has a wheel centre marker on the wheel as does my Accuforce wheel.
    Ratios 11 deg and 23 deg were used. From driving the car even just out of the pits 11 deg needs way more wheel turn to get out of pit box.
    Video was with Samsung 8 note slow motion which is 60FPS.
    The screens tested were a 46" Toshhiba LED TV and a BENQ XL2720T 120hz monitor.
    Yes the monitor appeared to perform better than the TV.
    Video frame count check was with Quick Time ( Time counter left bottom when clicked becomes frame counter)
    The question I was left with is does image movement equate to the change in direction of the steering.

Considering if a test using video of actual wheel while driving synced in motec with game output data and a check of the change in road wheel angle channel against the video might show something to answer my question.

Detecting road wheel change of position is where I have become stumped however.

15. Emery

Emery Registered

Without measurement, you can not know since the brain is really good at compensating. There are people who honestly believe vsync on doesn't introduce lag "because they can't see it"...

juanchioooo likes this.
  16. patchedupdemon

I can’t test mine for a few days as I have a lot of stuff to do with the Mrs and son.
    Would be interesting to see if op could do another test but at double his monitors refresh rate,so 120fps,even if you have to run minimum settings to achieve that.

I know in iracing I could definitely tell a difference between 60fps and 120fps,even though my monitors are only 60hz.

I will test it when I can of op hasn’t the time,I’d like to know if it was just a placebo

17. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the vsync is disabled , but the data itself does not interest me, if I do not see it, it does not reduce my lap times, which is really what matters

with 4 ms and 144 hertz the vsync is better to deactivate it;):):):)

18. Stratoliner

Stratoliner Registered

If I watch your video, I belive that the steering wheel and the front whells are not synct too?
    It seems that the front wheels are more synct with the real stearing wheel.

SPASKIS likes this.
  19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is not easy to say by watching in my mobile but it is not my impression. Tire steering rotation is so reduced that its movements are hard to see. I'll take a look into the original recording in my PC when I find a moment.

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

So here we go again with a new input lag measurement. This time I finally tried my DK2 powered by my new PC.
    As you will notice, I removed the lenses so that the display was visible. You will also notice the refreshment is much low persistence than a regular monitor. I wonder how CV1 or newer devices would perform here...

You can also check that the results are much better than older benchmarks with old laptop with own screen and/or external LG LCD-TV.
    I am at the moment installing the required software to properly go frame by frame and count how many frames (ms) behind the DK2 goes.
    I will come back to edit the post with results. Remember the video runs 20 times slower than reality at 50 fps. Each frame is therefore 1 millisecond in real time.

lagg and caravan_driver like this.