McLaren historical Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Narrowbackwing, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    rogue22 and Pauli Partanen like this.
  2. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

The cars are alright, but I'm not really impressed. Does anyone else feel like the McLaren Shadow cars were made by different people? Maybe McLaren got their own people to make it or something?

The overall quality seems a bit down compared to the official content. And the tyres look weird, they weren't modelled perfectly round and look glitchy, like there's lines/gaps in it, and the material looks like rFactor 1. Physics wise it feels more like a third party mod rather than official content to me.

So I'm getting the feeling that Studio 397 didn't create these cars? If you compare the WEC cars or any other official content to the McLaren Shadow cars, the quality difference is obviously noticeable.

Not complaining, just glad that the Shadow cars are free.

The M23 is the only thing I enjoy from the bunch, and is the only thing which seems high quality to me. Like the March 761 and the Brabham BT44.

The other two just seem weird/off to me.

Louis and Pauli Partanen like this.
  3. Nibo

Nibo Registered

4. Tompa

Tompa Registered

well nothing wrong with a user made thread since these cars are freaking amazing,
    I would gladly have paid for this but we got them for free. Im hoping they will be part
    of the upcoming racing competition system and maybe thats the whole idea behind releasing
    them. *fingers crossed* (I have no idea of the structure behind it, Im just thinking ala iracing,
    I could be way off mark like I was with project cars 2 before it was released lol...)

5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I’ve had this thought since the free cars were released since the gt3-e packs, the gt cars looked amazing and the sounds were some of the best I’ve come across.

The free Classic cars that have been released all seem to my ears and eyes to have lower quality looks and sounds, the sounds are no where near as good as the gt3-e packs.

So I thought these free packs have been done by a third party group of modders,because they just don’t match up to the standards set by the gt paid packs.

The free packs all have nice physics and are fun to drive so I’m not knocking the folks who made them, just stating I’ve noticed they don’t have the fidelity of the paid packs

It could just be that s397 didn’t have the same options available to them for the sound recordings or samples for the classic cars as they did the new gt3-e cars.

SL1DE likes this.
  6. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Yeah exactly. That's how I feel. So it isn't just me.

Not knocking the creators either, just stating that there are noticeable differences between different "official" cars. The physics are great, especially for the M23. The M23 is the best of the bunch in my opinion.

It's mostly the MP4/13, I feel like that's lacking quality-wise. I expected something better as official content. And the tyres don't look that great, they look cartoony and I notice horizontal glitchy-lines through it and the tyre doesn't look perfectly round. It sounds and drives okay though, I guess that's all that matters. But it also seems to have more grip than the modern Marussia F1 car... Kind of inconsistent there, you'd expect the 2012 car to have more grip than the groved tyres V10 1998 car. (I'm talking about at low speed, not when downforce kicks in)

patchedupdemon likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think it's dangerous to take one aspect of the tyres and make a performance comparison based on it.

In 1998 there was a tyre war going on, grooves or not. 2012 was the Pirelli control tyre (meaning the FIA could effectively slow the cars using the tyres in addition to other regulations). 1998 cars were 600kg minimum, 2012 they were 640. I don't have a good reference at hand for tyre sizes but I wouldn't be sure they're the same either.

I'm not drawing any conclusions, just saying that it's easy to have an expectation that might not be right.

8. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Why was there the need to have two versions of the same car. A shadow of the same car for the competition?