Mazda "Road to" series, and a couple other things

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by MetalMania, Mar 14, 2017.

1. MetalMania

MetalMania Registered

Some additional cars for the wish list - some have already been mentioned in other posts. We've already got a couple of Mazda affiliated cars with the Skip Barber and step one of the "Mazda Road to Indy" in the USF2000. I'm not sure if that means ISI/Studio 397 has a license in place with Mazda, or just Skip Barber and the USF2000 series. But if it does mean there's a licensing agreement with Mazda - and extends to affiliated race series, perhaps we could see the additional cars on the "Road to Indy": Pro Mazda and Indy Lights (we already have an Indy Car, of course, completing that "ladder")? Or does something like the Renault formula 3.5 make that redundant?

Also, Mazda sponsors the "Road to 24", beginning with the MX-5 Cup and progressing through the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge, Prototype Lites, and finally the WeatherTech / United Sports Car Championship. Obviously the sports car ladder includes more than just the Mazda cars, but it's a start, and I imagine the MX-5 Cup car would be a blast to drive in much the same way that the USF2000 is (and is a one make series, negating the common RF2 issue of only having one or two cars of a real world class to compete against each other). And, the new Mazda DPi cars in the WeatherTech series are pretty exciting. I don't think we currently have any modern prototypes (I'm relatively new to RF2 and haven't driven everything yet), and in lieu of a full field of real P or DPi cars I'd be ok with the "real" Mazdas and say, a new Howston modern prototype to fill the grid. Actually, I think the MX-5 Cup and modern prototypes are a better fit and a more unique addition to RF2 than additional open wheelers at this point. Unless Studio-397 saw fit to recreate Champ Cars / Indy Cars from the mid 90's, which would be something beyond awesome, even if it was under the "Howston", "Eve", or "Spark", marques.

As a side note to the above - we've also got an "official" Chevy Camaro GT3 and the Corvette C6.R GT2, with the C7.R on the way - so I'm making an assumption that there's a GM license in place. Um, that new Cadillac DPi is a pretty rocking car too, and just so happens to be in the same class as the Mazda, and as a new formula will presumably stick around for a few years. Since this is a wish list forum, a GT3 Mustang would be nice to go up against the Camaro, and if we had Ford the GT2/GTE/GTLM Ford GT would be perfect to go with the C7.R. Just wishin'.

Back to my "if there's a license with Mazda already" line of thought (almost done, I promise). Maybe that would open the door for an official version of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca? Or "Dry Lake Raceway" if it must remain anonymous? And while we're at it... maybe take a page from the Corvettes we've got and do a street version of the "ND" MX-5 too, since it's a car many of us might actually be able to afford and do track days with.

At risk of sounding like a Mazda fanboy, I'm not really, although I do like them as a car company. I'm making a completely unsubstantiated guess that perhaps a license to do Mazda content might not be as expensive as say Porsche or Ferrari, and based on existing content already in RF2 that maybe there's something there for Studio-397 to work with.

In the first "roadmap" update a while back (at least, I think it was the first one), Studio-397 said it was considering paid DLC. I would pay for a "Mazda Pack" that included a street ND MX-5, MX-5 Cup car, DPi prototype, and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. I know some people get upset by the paid DLC concept, and of course I like free stuff, but I also recognize that RF2 isn't a blockbuster selling title and Studio-397 is trying to fix things that need fixing and broaden the appeal of the sim. I also recognize that real world licensed content usually costs money. I think such a car/track package, reasonably priced and executed to a high level of quality, could be a good value and hopefully provide some revenue to keep other free content and improvements coming.