Maybe this can prevent from stuttering and micro-freeze issues ?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Jeepy, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

Hi guys,

I didn't find another thread mentioning this, but I found out that my stuttering and micro-freeze issues are gone since I use my integrated soundcard instead of my Corsair USB headset.
    I too had these issues with Assetto Corsa and already posted it in their forum where other people where complaining about this problem with USB headsets some time ago.
    I used to play with vSync at 60Hz on a Dell monitor and didn't have any micro-freeze in rF2 with the USB headset.
    But now I'm playing with a G-Sync monitor, the ASUS ROG one, and suffer from micro-freezes.
    I remembered the AC issue and tried the solution with rF2. Now no more micro-freezes and stuttering.

I hope it can help some of you with these problems.
    Thanks for reading.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Nice man, thanks for the tip.

3. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I have the G930 with no problems.

4. rockbass

rockbass Registered

I fixed my GTX660ti by going into Nvidia's control panel and under PhysX set it to CPU?!? Someone said makes no sense but worked, I had to agree but now I have to figure out why the Honda NSX rear bumpers keep drawing and redrawing making a horrible flashing that drives me nuts. It's really sad that this game has so many graphic issues compared to AC or R3E that should be tougher to run. I just really wonder if newer cards (and a 600 series isn't new) just don't handle DX9 well. Good luck but I think I'm about to give up on rFactor2, maybe rFactor3 will be an improvement.

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Yes with GTX 680 i still have some problems, game is not fluid at all despite the average 95 FPS and also graphics are not that good, in relplays there's a lot of stuttering... hope for better days to come...

6. matf1

matf1 Registered

Are you writing replays to RAM?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I don't know, when watching replays or hotlap from replays menu it has stuttering in some parts, during race (last 20 seconds) it also stutters...

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Try this. Disable all forms of VSync and then open UserData\player\player.json and search for "Max Framerate" and set it to 60. Your frame rate will be fixed at 60fps but it should be very smooth. I have a GTX770 and this is the only combination that totally removes the stutters. VSync GPU for example was giving me 100+fps but it looked more like 30fps. No exaggeration here.

9. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Thanks Noel, but i have a 144Hz monitor and V-Sync off, should i turn it on and set it to 60 anyway? Won't this give me input lag? Thanks!

P.S - Where do i see if someone replied to my posts? I don't receive any notification in "forum home" or refreshing the page!

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Set Max Framerate to whatever you want. I only suggested 60 because I assumed you were on a 60hz monitor. Capping the framerate a little lower will take a little load off your CPU which tends to help with stutters sometimes. Just play around and see what works best. But no, Max Framerate will not introduce input lag, even when set below your monitor refresh. It's mainly VSync that causes input lag.

The easiest way to verify input lag is to turn on the animated steering wheel and then yank your real wheel left and right rapidly. If the animated wheel is going the opposite direction of your real wheel then you have some lag.

Here is a video I made a very long time ago in rF1. You will get an idea of what lag vs no lag looks like:

Edit: To answer your other question. I think there are some email notifications you can enable but I try to stay away from those options because I feel bad for putting all this extra load on peoples servers. I use TapaTalk on my iPhone to get notifications. If I subscribe to a thread, TapaTalk will notify me everytime someone posts on the thread. If I post in a thread and then someone quotes my post it will give me a notification regardless of whether I have subscribed to the thread. It also gives notifications when someone responds to a thread you have started. I would say TapaTalk is my most used and most valued app on my phone. TapaTalk is also available on Android. Most forums support it these days. Its nice to be able to catch up on all your forums all in one app.

I also visit the ISI forum using this URL which is an easy way to stay up to date:
    http://isiforums.net/f/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  11. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Thank you very much, i'll try that later, maybe setting it to 80 or 90, let's see how it goes, and i know what input lag is ;)

Cheers mate!

12. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

i tried v sync off and max frame rate 60 but still got awful screen tearing/warping whatever that is called. do i just have a bad monitor?!

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

My recipe was to minimize input lag and stutters at the cost of screen tearing. Max Framerate supports decimals. So try other values to see if you can reduce the tear. For example 59.5 or 60.3... ect ect. You may find a better value for your rig. But nothing is wrong with your monitor. If you use VSync you remove the tearing but at the cost of input lag. These new GSync monitors apparently have the best of both worlds.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Aim for the following formula:
    Max Framerate = Monitor Refresh-Rate = In-game FPS.

Basically, if you have a 144 Hz monitor but only playing at 80 or 90 fps, your wasting the the 144 Hz part of it.

If you can't get a consistent 144 fps, then the next step is to aim for 120 fps (and 120 Hz and 120 fps max framerate), if that is still too difficult to
    achieve, then go down one more step to 100.

So...

Monitor refresh rate = 100Hz
    Max Framerate player-file setting = 100
    Consistent gameplay framerate target to aim for = 100fps

Do not use the 60Hz setting on your monitor; most of these 120+ Hz gaming monitors work differently at 60 Hz and it adds quite a bit of input lag, however, 100, 120, and 144 all work great/normal. I'm not sure about 85 though (in-case your monitor gives you that option).

Stick to 100, 120, 144 depending on how high you can get your consistent framerate to generally stay at.

Also, click the first link in my sig to help with big framerate improvements while hardly affecting image quality.

15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

So you mean i should change refresh rate of the monitor in rF2 settings to 100Hz or 85Hz? If i change max frame rate to 80 and keep the 144Hz of the monitor it won't work?

Thanks for your help!

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I don't see any reason why keeping it at 144hz would do any harm. Actually, just thinking about it, if the game is running 60 and the monitor is running 144 them maybe you would end up without lag and also without screen tearing? That would be an interesting test. I really need to get on the 120hz+ bandwagon. :)

17. matf1

matf1 Registered

Hi Rui,

The player.json file has this entry
    "Record To Memory":true,
    "Record To Memory#":"record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)",

With 8GB of RAM, you should be ok for large replays but of course, some testing will be required.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Rui, you want your in-game framerate to match your monitor refresh rate. This is what VSync does and what GSync does as well. There is no point in 144Hz if your game is only running at, for example, 100fps. Matching the game's framerate to your monitors refresh rate will give you the most fluid image possible without using VSync or GSync which add input lag (GSync adds such a tiny amount of input lag that it shouldn't be a problem, but technically speaking, even it adds input lag compared to no GSync).

So, yes, set RF2 to 100Hz and your RF2 player-file to 100 fps.

If 100Hz/fps is still too high for your PC to handle, then try 85Hz/fps, but I'm not sure if 85Hz suffers from the same input lag issues as 60Hz does on these 120+Hz monitors. When set to 60Hz, these monitors don't act in the conventional way a conventional 60Hz monitor does, and you therefore get a bunch of input lag; this may also happen with 85Hz, but I'm not sure.

Neither 100, 120, nor 144 hertz suffer from the aforementioned refresh-rate-induced-input-lag issue, and therefore all work great.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  19. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Thank you very much guys for your help ;)