Max Bezier Spline --> .AIW File

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Bink, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Bink

Bink Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  2. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Show me your screenshots! :) :D

3. Bink

Bink Registered

4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Niceeeee.... :cool:

Cheers!

5. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

6. Bink

Bink Registered

7. A13

A13 Registered

No worries, as long as you don't make any cheap jokes about/with german Autobahns ;)

Thank you for your explanation. Sorry for my late reply, was off for a while due to pc probs and other real life stuff.

I wonder if it would be easy to modify your script a bit, to let the AI make a pre rubbered line?
    In general the pre rubbered line shouldn't be the ideal line, there should be a bit of rubber beyond it.
    In case of a public road it would be good to have a left and a right line pre rubbered. In combination with some white painting on the outside and on the
    middle of the road, it would be a bit like a real country road, there the outside and the middle are always a bit more slippy.
    Could be interesting as you always need to cut the slippy part to follow the ideal racing line.

It got a bit quite in this thread, I hope you're doing well and also the script evolves :)

8. Bink

Bink Registered

9. A13

A13 Registered

I see your script is getting very complex. Amazing :)

Unfortunately I don't know much about max, but I can serve with some knowledge about the game engine, messing with it around since F1C days ;)

rF2 saves the real road then you restart a session / skip to next or restart the weekend. You can also save the rubber and reload it later.
    In general real road is a nice thing. If you've only 5 people on a server, doing practise, quali and 1 or 2 races, the tracks rubber pretty good up. Not only the ideal racing line, also other parts of the track. You can imagine specially on wide corners or hairpins, people tending to do different lines, so these areas get more rubber than a straight for example. There people always stay on the left or right side. Same goes for the drying line.

If you want to do now a quick race or just a few laps offline, real road can be a bit annoying. You'll need a saved profile or a preset coming with the track. Otherwise it will take some time for you alone to rubber the track in. Running a few AIs with time acceleration seems like an idea, the line produced by the AIs rubbers quickly in, but it's only the AIs line. It may not the ideal line, also they drive exact the same line, so you're forced to follow that small path, as every cm left or right beside it brings you a significant grip loss. With some cars it's nearly impossible to drive on a complete green track, so you'll somehow don't come around to load a real road profile.
    So it would be good, if every track comes with a pre rubbered profile, like some of the ISI tracks.

For paintings on the road I would use decals then.
    Dividing the race surface is an interesting topic. On how the rubber builds up, it shouldn't have any effects. On the grip it self, it could. I found out, then I'm exporting race surface parts with more than 5000 polys, the surface starts to get rough. With over 10000 polys you get some really good micro spikes, causing your wheel to rattle, even on a plane surface. So at the end you should divide it in some parts.
    You'll also want to have a good density on polys on your race surface. On some poor rF1 conversions, you can feel the lack of grip, because very huge polys are used for the surface.
    The rubber and also wetness is building up on the polys. If your track is only 2 polys wide, you'll have one side completely dry/rubbered and the other side green.
    If a car drives on both polys, both polys would rubber or dry.

So a track should be at least 8 polys wide. In this case a car would touch 3 to 4 polys simultaneous on which the line is building up. If there are less polys, you'll get only patches of rubber instead of a line.
    So a nice resolution of the surface is needed to get a good real road to work.

In the case of a country road with two lanes, I'm wondering now, if a 8 wide poly track is enough to build up 2 separate lines. It should be 11 or make it 12.
    1 poly on the left staying green (also covered by a white small line as decal), 4 polys for the left lane rubbering in, 1 poly in the middle staying green (covered by a broken white line), 4 polys for the right lane and 1 poly staying green for the right border.
    For an average racing circuit, it don't need to be that wide.

Unfortunately the saved real road profiles are encrypted, so for sure no way to write them direct out of max. Would be good to chose the ideal line in max, set some kind of noise around it and export it directly as *.rrbin.
    Alternatively it would be possible to make 1 or 2 temporary AI paths a bit off the ideal line (within max or rF's dev mode). Let the AIs do 20 laps on this path, save real road, exchange AIW, reload save real road profile, let the AIs do 20 laps, save it and finally the same thing then with the ideal line. This should bring some rubber into the important places beyond the ideal line.

For a small track this is no problem at all, indeed it makes fun to drive a bit around doing some weird laps. But on long or technical tracks it's a nightmare producing a good ideal line and on top of that a pre rubbered profile....

Hope this barely answers some questions, didn't understand what you know about the plug-in interface.

10. Bink

Bink Registered

11. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

looks great!