Material error while loading car model?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by bison160, Jan 11, 2012.

1. bison160

bison160 Registered

I have a vehicle all set up and ready to go. Ive started by just putting in the body, cockpit and all 4 tires. The tires came from an rf1 project, but I have brought them into max and re-did the materials with the new tools. I set the material for the tires as a standard Cube T1 with live mapper checked. I am using a DXT5 512x512 dds named rims.dds.

When I try to view car on the spinner it pops up with an error saying: Source map for render target rims.dds cannot be a DXTn format.

This material/texture/model worked and still works fine in RF1. Any help on getting this figured out would be great.
    Im going to keep trying things and if I come up with a solution I'll post.

2. bison160

bison160 Registered

I did make it work by changing the texture to a TGA, but still would like to know if anyone has any ideas on the dds. issue.

The only other thing I changed was changed the material name from wcrims to carrims, which as far as I know shouldn't do anything but disable using custom wheels.

3. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Did you put REFMAP0 in the reflection mapper entry? (next to source blend, dest blend)

[ED] only check live mapper on the cube.

4. bison160

bison160 Registered

yes I did

5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Ahh, r8g8b8 dds is what its probably looking for, what shader are you using?

[ED] also make sure you don't have render target selected for the rims texture stage.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  6. bison160

bison160 Registered

I do believe that was the issue. Not sure how that got checked, about 99.9% sure that I didn't check it. Possibly happened when I changed materials to the new ones. Either way, everything seems to be up and running now. Thanks