Make a Mod?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by nickbalti, Jul 16, 2015.

1. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

So I need a step by step guide to creating a mod with custom skins. I have converted the dds files to mas but now I'm lost.

It's just different skins for the Clio. I also want to add a picture of the car so the drivers can see which one they are picking.

Thank you

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If you're simply adding VEH/DDS files to the existing component then just install the original component. Then go into \Installed\Vehicles\<componentname>\<versionnum> and then find the teams mas. Add all your new VEH/DDS file to that mas. Then use my component builder tool to open the mft file and then type in a new name/version number for your new component and then click package. It will spit out a new rfcmp file with your new skins. Now just install your new one and you're done. As for adding car thumbnail icons. If I recall they are 8.8.8.8 with a size of 512x5120. Basically you just place them in the teams mas with proper naming. The naming is like this: <vehname>SMICON.DDS and <vehname>ICON.DDS. Both files can be identical. Both 8.8.8.8 512x512.

You can download my tool here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19023-Component-Builder

After you run it once it will build file associations for mft files. After that you can simply double click on an mft file and it will open in my tool where you can then repack it.

3. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Thanks so much for your reply Noel. I think it's best to say that I'm confused. Let's assume that I have designed three different skins for a Clio. What would be the next stage so if I setup a dedicated server and selected my mod that the 3 people could pick their skins?

Thank you.

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

They should include their skin into their own rf2. I guess, the best start would be, to do a forums search with "custom skins"...

Or are we talking about a new clio mod including the 3 skins?

5. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Exactly that mate.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah. if your talking about a small number of skins then you might as well just have your drivers install the skins on their own computers and let the game automatically push them to the server when they join. But if you really want to build a new component then the steps in my first reply are what you want to do.

Tomorrow I will make a little video on how to add a few skins to a component and then repack it. But if you then want this new component to auto download then you will also want to learn how GetMod works. I could put that in my video too. It sounds confusing but it's really not that bad.

7. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Thanks Noel, I think it would be a handy guide for many, and yeah the getmod thing would be handy too

8. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

With massive help from Kev at REVS Sim Racing (think it's TOCA2FREAK here) I've managed to sort it. If I didn't hate my voice on recordings I'd make a video myself go show others how to do it.