Mad stuttering with F1 cars

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by rocketjockeyr6, Jul 11, 2016.

1. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

First off, thanks for any and all help, it is much appreciated. In my hours (yes, hours) of searching, I have found 3 relevant solutions. 1- Edit "player.json" file for the line titled, "flush previous frames" 2- Same "player" file for line, "sim processor thresh" and 3- Edit "controller" file for line, "set update limit"
    The problem is, none of these lines exist in my player or controller files. I have the latest build (1098 i believe), so maybe they've removed these parameters...
    I have found that I am only affected when I use the 2015 F1 cars on certain tracks. For instance, 2015 car at Melbourne, can't hardly exit the pits. And it's not just me, if I sit in the garage and watch the monitor, AI performs just like me. With ISI F1 2012 car, no problems. 2015 car at Montreal, no problems, only certain tracks, but so far kinda a lot of tracks (Hockenhiem, China, Malaysia, Melbourne, and Silverstone so far). I've read about a bunch of people having trouble at Mills Park, specifically with the Megane's, but I have no trouble there with any car there (haven't tested 2015 F1 cars there though, only a bunch of GT and Road cars).
    There are currently 3 different releases of the 2015 F1 cars, though I believe they all stem from HJK's F1 mod. I have tried all three and none are any different. Also, it doesn't matter if I'm alone or with a full grid, no difference with any control group (i.e. tracks/cars that work or don't)
    With "ctrl+c" displaying cpu load, it shows that the cpu is maxed out, but I KNOW my pc can handle it, any other car (or track where the 2015 cars work, like Montreal) the cpu load barely goes above 50%. And again, that's with a full grid (22 cars) on track at racing speed.
    Rivatuner shows my Gpu tops at 60 degrees celsius, and my Cpu tops at 65 though usually sticks around 55, even during the stuttering. To my knowledge these are both WELL within operating range. Settings are maxed (no v-sync), but I play P-cars, Dirt Rally, and Forza Apex at maximum settings and I run 40+fps with no problems. When it's performing correctly, it runs an average of 90 fps, bottoming at 60, and occasionally reaching 120+. What's funny, is that usually during stuttering, Rivatuner says I'm at 100-120fps.

AMD FX-8320 8 Cores @ 3.2 Ghz
    MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4Gb Edition
    Team Vulcan 8Gb Ram (2 x 4gb)
    Cooler Master Hyper520 dual cpu fan

Once again thanks for any input. And sorry for the long post, I'm painfully detailed.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

It's almost definitely something wrong with the mod if ISI cars work fine. The best bet would be to contact mod maker and ask him to improve performance. Unless it's a "high quality" mod from a respected mod maker, the cars tend to be quick conversions from other games and usually very badly optimized. I've seen almost no scratch made F1 mods for rF2 so it's almost certainly a conversion. For example, I once found a mod that used 4K mirror resolution, which cut mirrors on FPS by 75% from the expected.

It could also be that the mod has no LOD optimizations (Level of Detail, opponent cars should use a more simplified model in far distance to save FPS), but that should not be such an issue if only one car is on track. Although if you still have opponents in pits, it could still be an issue, so perhaps try running a session with only one car loaded and see if that makes any difference. Using a too high poly model and adding it 22 times can get even the best PC on its knees.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
  3. rocketjockeyr6

It's from HJK Modding, whom, I believe, is quite well known and popular. And considering that it's F1 2015 I do believe it was initially created for rF2. I don't think LOD to be an issue, that would be more GPU intensive, no? And like I said the monitor showed that the CPU was stressed, but it never got hot (stuttering would be understandable if it were getting hot). I have tried racing alone and it makes no difference. What's really strange to me is that it's track specific AND car specific. They (F1 2015 cars) work fine on some tracks and other cars work fine on the tracks that they don't. It worked fine on a previous build (deleted rfactor in late Feb to make space for another game, I just re-downloaded it, much newer build). I tend to lean towards thinking that it's rFactor not optimizing for a multi-threaded processor, as many have stated that it's off as default. What frustrates is that my "player.json" file doesn't have a line for "sim processor thresh" which people have stated that this is the line notating multi-thread use. It's just really weird to me how they work at one track but not another. One would tend to think that if the mod alone were at fault that it wouldn't work regardless of the venue. The mod is called HJK-OWC-2015 v3.0, and from what I can tell nobody has had issues apart from placing in the wrong packages folder and having a botched install. I've checked the nVidia control panel and made sure that global settings are set to optimize multi-thread cpu, and even made a rFactor 2 gfx profile that enables multi-thread optimization. If anyone knows how to force or enable such a setting in the program files (maybe add the line to player.json or an entirely different file that might have such control), it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

That mod makes my cpu freak out like I've never seen before, tanking my performance, stuttering, physics dropping out of real time, etc. I don't get these problems with any other mods.

5. rocketjockeyr6

I just noticed that in the options menu, it says my system specs are 7 gigs of ram, and it says windows 8. I have 8 gigs of ram and am running win 10... I wonder if this has anything to do with my issues. I does however correctly recognize my cpu and gpu. I have Steam version by the way, not sure if that makes any kind of a difference. Like I said though, it worked on a previous build, like 980 or somethin back in the beginning of the year (build 1098 now).

6. stonec

stonec Registered

The multi-threaded setting is gone for good, it was only making things worse at least on my PC. GPU drivers can use extra threads of the CPU even if rF2 only runs on two, so efficiently more than two threads are in use anyway. Since it's an issue when racing alone as well, it sounds like mod physics related. Maybe high-quality tracks with denser surface interact more often with the tire model or something. Maybe the tire construction is made with too many nodes for today's PC to handle. Who knows. The bad news is that there is no switch to reduce physics fidelity.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

I had a go at the mod from this link now, it runs out of real time on my CPU as well. Anything more than 10 opponents and it starts happening on Silverstone. 0 opponents runs totally fine like any other mod. So it seems to be a universal problem related to mod AI or car models, not mod physics.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A mod can also set the AI update rate, maybe that's a factor.

9. rocketjockeyr6

Well I greatly appreciate the support fellas. For now I found a beta version of the 2016 F1 cars from the same folks who made the 2015. Fortunately, as is in real life F1, 2016 version is a vast improvement. And, even though it's still beta, I like it better already. Thanks again, and cheers to ya!

10. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

its that HJK mod, i get the same stuttering. downloaded the ISI f2 cars and no stuttering