Low Speed Grip?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Nov 9, 2015.

1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I have noticed comparing rf2 vids/my driving to real life vids that pretty much any car tends to have tons more low speed/mechanical grip IRL. For example the historics through the hairpin at monaco (they whip around there IRL), the tighter turns at macau (WTCC take hairpins like friggin F1 cars, but LIFT for mandarin bend...) and so on. I know low speed physics have been a problem before (GPL and most older sims, old iRacing Tire Model) so I was wondering, is it my imagination?

I know, I know... More bitchin' about physics. "When will he shut up??" lol

2. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Some days ago rF2 was TOO REALISTIC. Today it has TONS less low speed grip.

What will be next?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2015
  3. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Feelings, feelings, feelings... no data.

Compare you actual inputs versus real inputs, and you will wonder what is happening.

Still being annoying to see this stuff in the forum, other users at least help to discuss this studd with data, telmetry, that is really interesting... but this is pointless.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

In the Howston G6 I can push a Clio to 170+ mph p

[​IMG]

Why doesn't the diff blow up :confused:

I want realism !!

I demand it !

lol ;)

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

You are not alone but there are always short-comings in certain areas. As advanced as things are, there are still quite a few areas of opportunity indeed.

6. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I said nothing here that contradicted my "too realistic" comment, which was not meant to be taken literally. Obviously something can't be TOO realistic, that's not possible. What I meant was, They sometimes try too hard when designing car physics and it ends up not being realistic at all. lol

7. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

As someone who has raced both real and rf2 karts, I can say with certainty that rf2 karts are not very accurate handling wise. I don't care if they got the "data" from the racing god himself, It's what the software does with the data that matters...

Not saying that rF2 isn't a great sim, It's one of the best out there IMO, but we (humanity) still have a good ways to go physics wise...

8. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I raced karts, and some league mates did too from 6yo to 19yo (two of them are racecar engineers now, one with F3 experience and other is in national endurance racing), and I trust them when they say me rF2 karts are just awesome as others kart drivers already wrote it, because I can not really speak about It when I just raced for 2 years. But with two years I agree with them, the reactions are accurate, the way the kart moves when you push your pedal and smash your wheel, It's a pleasure, not perfect, but really good. I agree feelings are just weird, but It's a sim, It's a screen, 0Gs vs real bumps, cornering force, pain in your back, wheel stiffness, real brake pedal vs sim feeling in your foot, the body position.

This just destroy th feeling, but inputs vs reactions still being accurate (never perfect, that's not the point), the way you have to push your pedal and turn your wheel still being accurate, as output from car and dynamics still being accurate, lot of people already checked It, and I think I can trust this https://drracing.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/how-close-is-close-enough/.

Would be an interesting thread if you would come here with data, you say It's not matter of data, but I want a sim to recreate how a car behaves reallistically, I dont want dumb physics to match feelings when sim will never feel as a real car, I'm already used to lack of feeling, I focus on racing. Show me data proving rF2 is as wrong as you say while other users show how accurate rF is to have at least an interesting discussion, and compare.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

So what is better Karts Pearce, pCars, SCe or AC ............ oh no wait AC don't have Karts. lol p ;)

I am happy if there is 3 cars in a sim I really take to.

I mean look at us, 100s of server combos with addon cars and tracks 1000's of combos and we never happy.

It is like I said about that Palatov it should not be as fast at Longford as it is on a well surfaced race circuit.

The physics don't allow for a bumpy street surface the way they should. ( if you have street raced on secondary public roads you would know what I mean )

Cars like GT and any open wheel brake at Longford just as late and deep as they brake on a smooth F1 circuit.

Remember the F1 McLaren at Bathurst Pearce ?
    Jenson and Lowndes said it shook them to pieces so bad you could not push as hard as you actually could......... sims don't convey that, no way in this world.

Drive Bathurst in any F1 mod any sim it feels like a F1 track !@ tell me I am wrong. ;)

But you got to accept stuff like that....it is only a simulation. :)

10. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Probably SCe is the most accurate feeling (to me). And yes, there is only so much a sim can do. I know that. I have GOT to get into a real race car sometime before I die lol.

11. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Probably SCe is the most accurate feeling (to me). And yes, there is only so much a sim can do. I know that. I have GOT to get into a real race car sometime before I die. Ohh the legend I could have been (no inflated ego here, but I'm dead serious) lol :p

Hell, I'm still only 23...

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lol

Go out at Bathurst in 458GT , ProjectCars, AC, rF2 they all have "them" lol heck even add SCe , you will end up beating the lap record. ;)

Some cars and circuits will be closer others not so much.

Get a F1 at Nords it is almost ridiculous the things you can do, 5 minute laptimes.

So me worrying about lesser "things" is a waste of thought and time imho. ;)

Hey, when you my age and I am buried they will most probably have full virtual sims ...................... so be happy. :)

13. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Did you measure it? Where is the telemetry? Or is an improper FOV altering your perception?

Those low speed grip issues you commonly hear about are in sims that use slip angle and ratio as direct inputs into their tire model resulting in numerical precision issues, which isn't the case for rFactor 2.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Lets do some laps Pearce

Mosport with F3 or Longford with all Cars your choice. :p

15. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Longford. Let's go.

EDIT: Damn. I still don't see that server! Supposed to be "! F3_Rookies" Correct?

16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

What about that thread with the values plotted that show slip angle at half or 40% what they should be? I don't understand the difficulty in accepting we can't simulate real world dynamics yet. Especially in a home computer game. Personally whilst considering all the factors, I am quite happy with where we stand and where we may go.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Same as " whiplash effect"

People deny AC and ProjectCars down-force cars even do this.

I think they are delusion.

As I tried to explain in laymans terms rF2 to me they turn more like the car is pivoting further back the chassis.

And you can feel more the weight transfer from rear to front diagonally in a turn.

Even the AC and pCars Lotus49 do it, exhibit that "soap on a rope feeling" at will, even though there is no wing.

How anyone can sit and try to compare AC pCars Historics physics ( any cars for that matter ) to rF2 is just lame, they should go back to driving them
    and stop wishing this was better. ( I am not talking about this thread rather all the debates for 4 years )

I pretty much tried to make every high downforce car in rF2 do the "whiplash thing" .......I really glad that I couldn't.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Okay give me 10 minutes to get cuppa I load offline and check settings first.

Is called !!! Longford all cars ........a few names down from where !! F3-Rookies would be .

We start at 4am in morning, I am bug testing headlights on various cars.

You can pick any car other then the Howston G4 :( ( she still wont play nice with all the other cars and CTDs the room )

P.S.

You will need EVERY ISI car installed bar F3.5 2010

Including latest Clio and Camaro.

19. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Allright. Well, It'll take ages to download all those repackaged cars, so I'll do that later. Be there sometime though.

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This x100.

A proper modern sim racer in touch with the times doesn't bother with little things like data comparisons and telemetry and stuff. ;) :rolleyes:

He just goes by his gut feeling, "this car feels right", "this car feels wrong" etc.
    Has he driven the group C car, that exact type of kart, the F1 car or the GT car irl? Nope. But he's seen them on TV and is therefore able to judge from that how those cars drive. Amazing, right?
    Then someone else comes along and offers his opinion (not based on anything tangible either), "this car feels [the opposite of what you just said]".
    All very interesting stuff..

I'm done being sarcastic now. :)
    It's a shame seeing so many of these threads lately, but do carry on.