Low fps

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by F1Aussie, Apr 22, 2018.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Hey smart people, a couple of questions for you all, any idea why my shadows show as cross hatching?
    Secondly, the big issue, I did not get much improvement from the new build at all in fps and tonight I thought I would change pp from ultra to low and while it looks better to me the fps gain was very minimal. I ran rivatuner tonight and noticed that when my fps drop below the 90 that I have it set at the GPU load does not increase to boost it up. For example sitting on the grid getting 58fps and only about 60 percent GPU usage, through the whole race if did not go above 70 percent usage even though fps fluctuated.
    I presume the GPU usage should go up to boost fps to get to the frame limit?
    I don't know much about these things.
    Has anyone had this type of issue, is it an issue?
    What can I do to get more fps?
    I run an i7 4770k at 4.2 and have a GTX 1080ti along with 16gb of ram.
    Cheers all
    F1A

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

have you set all your options for the video card software to 'allow the game to manage?" Poorly worded there. If you have any options for AA, FSAA, etc. especially the global options, ensure they all allow the game to enable or disable the effect.

3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Would you have a photo Dave? There do not seem to be many options to change there.

4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

It is common to have low GPU loads at some of 3p tracks like Seabring (GPU loads 30-40%) etc. Do you have also low GPU loads at S397 tracks like Nola ?

5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Good question, I will have to try that out tomorrow. I used Bahrain and salzburgring when I noticed it.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Sorry, I can't, I'm using an old hd 6900 that doesn't seem to be compatible with the Radeon software. My vid card was having difficulties overheating when using dx11 games. So I checked with MSI and they took it under warranty. So until I get that sucker back...I can't run any of my normal gaming sims. Start with the Global options. If you don't change those, then everytime you restart your computer the global options will reset and over-ride any specific rF2 changes you make.

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Okay, no worries, thanks Dave.

Ari, are you having fps issues as well?

8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes average FPS is 10% lower with new build, min FPS is much higher but max is lower (1080Ti). I look in to it later today, I let you know if I can find solution ;)

9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Awesome, good luck with it!!

10. Fernando Deutsch

Fernando Deutsch Registered

GPU % usage not close to 100% on a complex rendering scene means the GPU is not receiving commands at enough rate. This is means the system is not GPU limited and it can be because there is not enough PCIe bandwidth, the CPU has not enough power to create the scene on time due to low operation frequency, or its being limited by low memory bandwidth.

For PCIe bandwidth, use GPU-Z and check your PCIe speed. It should be 16x, either 2.0 or 3.0, depending of your CPU/mobo combination.
    For memory speed, use CPU-Z and check your memory speed and timings. Depending if using DDR3 or DDR4, DRAM frequency should be at least 800Mhz (resulting in 1600Mhz due to DDR).
    Use a realtime monitoring tool, like MSI afterburner and check for CPU usage per core. Checking CPU usage only can mislead, as its an avg of all usage cores. You can have one core at 100% while other cores not being used too much.

You specs looks pretty good, so it could be some system settings.

F1Aussie likes this.
  11. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I think it is poorly optimized 3p content(Bahrain) which is causing low GPU loads.

This pic is 780 Ti at nola, GPU load 98-100%
    Nola.jpg

Sebring, GPU load 48-85%
    Sebring.jpg

F1Aussie likes this.
  12. filippu

filippu Registered

Sebring is a barely improved conversion of a 7 year old track. I don't think it's the most representative of what can be currently done with its lower poly stuff and lower resolution textures.

13. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes there are loads of old or poorly optimized content and when you look rF2 performance you should use S397 content. However there seem to be poor performance with 1080Ti cards especially with triples, GPU loads are fine but somehow now build is performing worse then old build and average FPS is 10% lower with new build.

F1Aussie likes this.
  14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Hi Fernando, I use gpu-z and that shows 16x 3.0, have not used CPU-z though. Core usage is maxxed out over a number of cores.
    I don't have this issue in pc2, it runs at up to 99%
    I am wondering if it is a setting somewhere like you mentioned or as Ari says the track is poorly optimised?
    Cheers

15. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Hey Ari, you are still getting good fps with that low GPU usage, what were your settings?

16. stonec

stonec Registered

If even one CPU core goes to 100%, then that means you are CPU limited, in other words CPU isn't calculating fast enough and GPU sits idle. There isn't much you can do about this other than overclocking CPU or wait for the track to be better optimized. Lowering shadows might help a bit as well, shadows at least before last update did increase CPU usage a lot.

17. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Hey Stone, I use rivatuner but am not real familiar with it, do you know if it has a cpu usage Meter with it?
    Cheers

18. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Ari, I ran some tests and uncapped my fps and starting at back of Silverstone with 25 ai and in pouring rain I got 77fps but was only using between 50 and 60 GPU usage.
    After half a lap the usage went up to 80s and 90s and fps increased sigmificantly, GPU usage stayed around there.
    Then ran at NOLA and Sepang from back of grid, fps were in 70s at start but GPU usage sat between 50s and 60s and did not increase much throughout the race. Fps again increased quite a bit about half a lap in
    Not sure what all this means.

19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Go to Nvidia Control Panel and edit Maximum pre-rendered frames to 1. If you run new test with uncapped FPS your GPU usage should be 97-100%.

20. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I have already been using maximum pre rendered frames 1