LOW FPS With 7870

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Motor-Mad-96, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Motor-Mad-96

Motor-Mad-96 Registered

I updated my build to 107 the other day and when i started playing i can only get around 25FPS in practice with no A.I. I am running on max settings at 1080p with an AMD 7870. This card should not have any problems running this game, my old gtx 470 ran it perfectly. Why am i getting such low FPS? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

If you have any issues after updating I recommend uninstalling rF2 and performing a clean install instead.

3. Motor-Mad-96

Motor-Mad-96 Registered

Oh sorry, i forgot to say i also tried a clean install and it didn't work. :(

Edit: I also tried numerous drivers and non of them soled my problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  4. kro388th

kro388th Registered

This is not the first time ive read about guys with this newer card getting low fps , I have the 6970 with the 12.8 drivers and see (mp 20+ drivers) solid 70 up to mid 90'd fps settings near max with 8xAA HDR on FXAA on and anisotropic x16 ,this after a clean install of 107...
    My first try I did the 'update' my frames were down in the low 30's ;-(down from solid 60 on build 101 vsync set to vid, the fresh install fixed it for me now I use NO vsync at all and get the big jump in fps and stays smooth, with earlyer builds i could have pauses and stutter w/o vsync , I ran the uninstall and also manualy deleted all the rf2 folders n files then did a restart on the pc , saving the .rfactor file in appdata/roaming .. reinstalling all the mods again, new plr ectt... I read in the "build 107 download" thread about rebuilding the shaders helping some guys with the "update" but a fresh install should do the trick ,I wonder if you have a bottleneck some where in your sys ?? dont know but that card should be pumping out some nice frames one would think ???

5. Motor-Mad-96

Motor-Mad-96 Registered

I guess iv'e got no option but to try a reinstall again and manually delete every file associated with RF2 again *sigh*

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What on earth made you switch to ATi

7. Motor-Mad-96

Motor-Mad-96 Registered

Well, my gtx 470 broke :( and the AMD's where cheaper and they overclock really well.

8. Motor-Mad-96

Motor-Mad-96 Registered

Full uninstalled and deleted everything associated with RF2 and it is still acting up. I have tried numerous drivers from AMD an non of it has worked.

Any suggestions?

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

have you tried the sync options?
    have you tried setting a max framerate?
    is everything in CCC at default values?
    did your old card have more RAM onbboard? (seen people get caught out by that before!!)

10. Motor-Mad-96

Motor-Mad-96 Registered

Tried all the sync options, tried max framerates. What is CCC? The 7870 has more VRAM 2GB

11. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask this question; Don't get mad.
    Did you remember to remove the Nvidia drivers?
    Don't laugh. I've seen it happen countless times. Maybe you already did. Just askin'
    If you did not. Download the free version of Revo Uninstaller to do so. The Windows uninstaller almost always leaves left over entries in the registry. These can cause you a lot of issues.
    CCC is AMD's version of their control panel.
    Try unchecking HDR and FXAA. Leave sync to none and see if the framerates increase.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
  12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You say after you installed 107, whats the FPS like if you uninstall and install Build 101?
    Do as Saanjock says, make sure you've properly uninstalled the nVidia drivers, use a driver cleaner and uninstall the AMD drivers and clean reinstall again.
    Are you sure you had everything on MAX with your old card? Reflections & Road Reflection are hungy maybe you had them off but forgot? it does happen ;)

Also what Car & Track combo?

13. Motor-Mad-96

Motor-Mad-96 Registered

I 100% removed the Nvidia drivers before installing my new card. Everything is set to default in CCC. I have tried every track & car combo. I never tried 101 with this card, i would but i cant find it. Im also pretty certain that my old card could run everything maxed out. Im thinking if i can find build 101 i will give that a go, or i can just wait till the next build comes out and try that.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah maybe something changed between your old card and new one, somethings not right though as everything maxed out I get mid 30FPS at Spa in the Eve-F1 with my 7850 (stock settings) and E8400 CPU.

You say you Updated your build, have you tried running RF2 with a fresh PLR file? if not try that, backup your current one first.

Also different cars & track combos have differences in FPS so if you're getting under 25 with them all then the only thing left to suggest is try another complete reinstall and thats everything; GPU drivers, Sound Divers, Motherboard driivers, RF2 everything! I'd even be tempted to reinstall Windows if you have the time!

15. Motor-Mad-96

Motor-Mad-96 Registered

Im going to try and find build 101 and see if that works. I have deleted every file associated with rfactor 2 and have tried a fresh install to no avail. I've already tried new drivers for my GPU and sound card. Every other game runs just fine, i dont understand why this wont. :(

16. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I wouldn't hold my breath, I just upgraded to an factory overclocked 7950 (reviews I've seen put it on par with a stock 7970) and I'm really not getting great performance with in-game settings maxed and AA @ lvl4 (out of 8). Considering how much better nVidia seems to be running I do think it's just some little niggle that they've overlooked, and come release time it'll be fixed. It's certainly not that AMD cards are less powerful. =)

17. mel1c

mel1c Registered

Another thought: In CCC Gaming, 3D settings, Anti Aliasing Mode, is Super-sample AA selected? If so, try lowering to Adaptive Multi-sample AA. Super-sample is known to be large performance hit.

18. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

MSAA is selected for me.

Just ran a few tests, 9 AI cars ("20 visible"), starting from the back of the grid, everything on max/full/on, LVL3 AA, HDR, no FXAA (can't really see it do anything at all) I get right around 30 FPS when starting Mills in the Brabhams. I also get 30 FPS when I have no AA, and no HDR, no affect at all. After a while (pack spreads out, different parts of the track) I do go to closer to 100 fps, but that's what I got with the old card (6870 OC) too.

Funny thing is that I only get one core doing any real work (70%), one other doing a little something (20%) and others are just idling away. Not surprised by the game only using two cores, since that's what it's supposed to do, but the total CPU usage is just barely above 20%. I also don't get GPU usage to go above 91%, and that's only when just starting the race, even if I hang around in the grid lane with all the cars showing it goes down to around 80% pretty soon and doesn't really go up again.

19. Motor-Mad-96

Motor-Mad-96 Registered

Im going back to the 12.6 drivers. The 12.8 drivers are causing all kinds of problems.

20. Motor-Mad-96

Motor-Mad-96 Registered

Fixed it. I was getting desperate so i decided to move my graphics card to another PCI-E slot and it fixed everything.