Lotus 49 Gripfest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F2Chump, Jun 28, 2012.

1. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I have no complaints regarding the F2/3, just the 60's F1.....I also thought the BT20 was going to be a real handful, but "it came to me" like all good sim cars do, ie, I learnt to control it, but haven't learnt how to control the F1.

Anyway, does anyone have a 2min 10 set up for Malaysia?...I'd be happy to try it.

2. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Best I have done so far is a 2:12.5ish ... in the Spark! I'm not smart on developing setups other than tweaking camber, pressure, brake bias and diff. I'd be happy to share but I can tell you that most of the time (starting from the default) I simply adjust pressure and camber to get even heat accross the tires (no duh!?). (Where exactly on the track to take that reading I'm not sure.) And I keep the other two settings in the safe zone... Brake bias at about 55/45ish. But the diff... ah! that's what makes a BIG difference in car control. Now that I think of it I'm surprised it hasn't even come up in all the talk about F1 driving difficulty. In just my last year of racing GPL I came to understand and appreciate the value of a proper diff setting to match a driving style. What I almost always use (at least as a start point) is power 10 and coast 20. These are both on the safer side of their respective scales and I think very drivable. If you are having difficulty with the car breaking away either on or off the throttle then I'd suggest giving these settings a try.

BTW... any of you guys that think you might want to race the old F1s when the time comes better get in the seat now. Otherwise me and Mark and Hedlund are going to eat your lunch! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  3. Cancrizans

Cancrizans Registered

Thank you for the link, I will try this right away and see if it helps. The DX9/max details thing I have already tried, but I was not aware of the fix so thank you! And once again thanks very much for your work on this excellent mod, it really is awesome to have something from this period to drive, and even more so because of the incredible quality and attention to detail!

4. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I'd like more time to evaluate, but I think you could be onto something here:cool:

5. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

After racing Malaysia, Mills, and Portugual with the same car (Spark32) for weeks and getting fairly comfortable, competent and consistant I decided go back and try a few laps at Spa in that car. All I can say is Holy Cow! That track is just as hard as the first day I started rF2! It is on a completely different difficulty scale. And I'm not talking about inability to make risky moves. I can't even straighten out coming out of a gentle curve without the car getting squirrelly! Yeah, there are relentless bumps in the pavement to knock the car around but I think it's more than that. I don't have any idea what variables are available to the track designer but there is something different (compared to the other tracks) about the pavement. It seems like the grip is weird. Sometimes it feels like it just grabs (even on a green track) and makes it very easy to over correct when trying to pull the car back from a mild slide (or even straighen out as I said above). Yet at other times it seems like it is real easy to start to drift on gentle curves. Very contradictory. In a class of it's own.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  6. jv27

jv27 Registered

Yea....F2Chump is hinting at things...lol

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

you surely did some research going back 10(!!!) pages.

8. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

10. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Lol. He drives like an ass, that's why. The speed is over 300 km/h on that bumpy road with no downforce, and he's too hectic with the wheel when he's about to change line. I see no strange in that. I could do that overtake in the braking without any problem. You just have to give the car a lap or two, then the brakes and tires are warm(er).

11. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Honestly, before Monza came out, I thought that Spa was the easiest historic circuit to drive. Now Monza is the easiest, but Spa is not that difficult to drive imho. The thing I can't get right is Monaco, I'm useless there.

For what it's worth, Spa really was that dangerous. Every year around that time period the drivers came seriously close to boycotting it because of the ridiculously rough surface that the organizers refused to repair. It was a very bumpy circuit. That's probably what I like most about driving it though; it keeps you on your toes. It's not a difficult circuit, but you can't get complacent with it, either, or it'll bite you in the arse.

12. Duvel

Duvel Registered

With a T500 it feels like i'm being punished for something, oh so bumpy and you have to fight the wheel constantly, gonna get big arms though :)

13. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Your absoluty right...

He was also doing 310km/h, with no downforce, on thin non slick hard tires, on a bumpy surface and was pretty erratic with the wheel........

I am as stunned as you are....but I think more so he didnt end up in the left bank than the right ditch.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That guy is going at an insane speed, and cuts from one side of the road to the other. Try to transport your mind into the real world doing that, instead of just thinking in video game terms. Literally imagine the speed of 300 kmh and how crazy that is, now swerve from the right side of the road to the left, now picture it being a bumby road, i can keep goin and goin, anyone who did that in real life would be dead.

so Jealous of anyone who has that wheel lol

15. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I get some pretty solid knocks with the G25, too ;) Just gotta work those arms! :p

Sometimes I let my arms go a little slack and just let it do it's thing. The car wants to go straight, and usually sorts itself out enough that I don't need a death-grip to keep 'er in line.

16. liebestod

liebestod Registered

I wonder how the rf2 '60s F1 cars would handle in comparison to the other, less-powerful '60s cars if someone modded them to have comparable engine power. I think that would be very interesting.

17. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Interesting, very interesting.
    But I think some of the outspoken are afraid to attempt this as I suspect the standard F2 would slaughter the F1 with F2 engine....

18. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I'd suspect that the lighter weight should help the F2 in some cases, but the F1 does have more tire contact patch to work with. It would be an interesting comparison, I bet.

19. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I did a test some weeks ago at Spa, where I first pushed Brabham on the limit, and got 3:36 laptime. Then I changed to Spark and tried to copy the top speed (288 km/h or something) and acceleration. My time was 3:35 so I think I succeed pretty well. And the car was very steady, and that's the point. Propably better than Brabham. Then it's up too me how much more I want (dare) to push the engine. The engine is superior to the chassi, no doubt. But easily I can cut off 10 seconds of that time.

I don't think "standard F2 would slaughter F1 with F2 engine".

20. Lotus 49

Lotus 49 Registered

Paul Loatman, I have to disagree from when you said "the older f1's in the game feel very easy to control, i can do big drifts in them without any problems" and from which point you said about improved tire models. I think they have almost perfected the tyre model already. You basically said that they should be a bit harder to re correct when you slide (am i correct) but the harder a tyre is the easier it is to re correct a slide for example hard tyres slide much more than soft tyres but are very controllable while as soft tyres dont slide nearly as much as hard tyres do although when you start to slide it is very hard to re correct them. So in my personal opinion (please do not feel offended by the way I am saying this reply) you are in all my sincerity slightly wrong (ice breaker :p) and that the physics in these tyres are almost 100 percent correct, as I said earlier please do not feel offended if I have written this too formal as if YOU ARE WRONG. because that is not the way I meant to say it, thankyou for reading Lotus 49