lost wheel in Build 240

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by mospider, Jun 29, 2013.

1. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Yes, the controller will cause that problem indeed. If it still doesn't work, I think the best bet is to try different USB ports around the PC. That kind of crap was worse 10 years ago, but it still happens.

2. mospider

mospider Registered

I've tried all usb ports.
    The problem is caused by Build 240. Earlier versions did not have this problem.

3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I guess you could try downloading the 240 core and installing it over your current install. I did it and it fixed a few dll problems. Might want to reinstall all the Fanatec stuff too if that doesn't work. :/

4. lopsided

lopsided Registered

I've heard issues of wheels not liking USB 3.0 connections before... any correlation here?

5. mospider

mospider Registered

....tried everything.

6. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

happened to me again just now, exact report below:

Plugged in G25
    loaded RF2
    loaded Silverstone
    ran a few laps and decided to change track
    loaded a community made track (this should'nt mean anything)
    Alt-Tabbed out whilst the track was loading
    <surfed web>
    clicked RF2 logo to go back in
    wheel would'nt work, unplugged and replugged G25, "Detect" detects nothing
    only choice to exit and reload the game

Cant remember the last couple of times I had this whether or not I alt-tabbed so maybe it has something to do with that, somehow the game might be losing focus of the controller when alt-tabbing.

8. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

rF2 doesn't hate Alt-tabbing, but it doesn't seem to be fully stable. Either way, it doesn't happen to my G25, so let's look elsewhere.

Does hitting the button to reset FFB do anything?
    Do you have the Logitech Profiler open with Windows bootup?

9. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

I don't know if this is related or not but a few days ago I lost my controller settings and also the contents of my player/settings folder which contained all my setups and skins. I thought this may have been down to something I possibly done wrong but yesterday the same thing happened to a friend of mine. This is with build 240.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

already stated on page one resetting ffb does nothing, this is a new problem (for me) with this build. I'm adamant it's nothing to do with my system as nothings changed since the previous build. This is an rf2 related issue as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Hoping this is fixed in the next build, bouncing this now to make sure <cough>

Still happening on a random basis.

12. Paulinho

Paulinho Registered

This is still happening to me with the latest build, close to giving up for a while :(

13. antgen

antgen Registered

I had this problem with previous builds but it was rarely and randomly.
    With the new build 298-300 this occurs every single time.
    I have only my g27 and mjoy(custom pedals) plug into usb and no other controllers.
    I think i tried everything : new install, change "Realtime Controller Detection" to 1 and 0, run game as admin, change usb ports, no solution.
    Hope this will sort out to the next builds.

14. Magus

Magus Registered

Before starting rf2, press the accelerator, brake, clutch, then steer the wheel and press some buttons/shifter, then start rf2...see if that helps eliminate/reduce the number of controller drops.

15. antgen

antgen Registered

Thanks Magus for your suggestion, unfortunately it didn't worked for me.

One thing I notice is that the wheel range setting ingame does not work for me anymore.I always have 900 degrees of rotation and I can't change it in game as it was before.
    This wasn't an issue to previous builds and I didn't change anything to my logitech profile(Nevertheless I tried with "Allow game to adjust settings" ticked and unticked)

Strange thing is that when I force close the logitech gaming software before load rf2, the setting ingame is working as it should do (now I can define degrees) and the losing controls problem after exiting a track is not happening every single time.The problem is still exists but now it's more randomly.

I already unistall logitech software and clean my registry before install it again, but with no luck.
    Probably there is a conflict with logitech software.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  16. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

OK, as far as I can tell only two things have really changed since build 228 (the one before 240):

1) We started using Fanatec's updated SDK. While this might affect Fanatec users, it should have no effect on Logitech users who also seem to be having trouble.

2) We started detecting if a controller was moved to a different spot in Windows list of controllers. Previously, if you had, say, a joystick that was sometimes plugged in and it came up first in the control panel, rF wouldn't realize that your steering wheel, for example, was now controller #2 instead of #1. This fix appears to work fine here, but it did require adding the controller name to the controller.ini file (Device Name 1, etc.) so we could re-map it. The process is pretty simple, but I wonder if something is going wrong anyway. My first suggestion is to make sure you've saved your controller profile with build 240 or above to make sure the controller names are saved to the INI file.

Perhaps also, if your controllers stop working, please save out your profile to a different name so we can compare them.

antgen - Your situation seems a bit different; is it possible to roll back to an earlier version of the Logitech software? I haven't seen the problem at home with my G27, but I also haven't updated the software in probably a year.

17. BerJupiler

BerJupiler Registered

My wheel quits on me without notice a described above. But a have 4 pc's in my network, when one of them powers down the wheel connection is lost.

18. antgen

antgen Registered

Since I installed Win8 almost a year ago I didn't change anything to logitech software.It was my first and only setup until now that the problem occurred and I tried to uninstall it and install it again. As I mentioned I didn't have any problem before b300.

I have a "controller.ini" from an older build (I don't know how old), I'll try with this one and report back.
    Thanks Terence

EDIT: I tried the old controller.ini and the problem still exists. Only if I close logitech program I can set rotation in game.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Now Terence is here, I've no doubt this issue will get a serious look.

In the meantime, here's a loss of controller in real life.

20. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

Thank you Tim, that was exciting.

Do you get the message about input controllers changing? If so, I guess you could try turning off "Realtime Controller Detection" in the controller.ini file.

Regarding the other problems - since I can't duplicate them, and few things have changed, I'll just have to figure it out by deduction. The next build will - by default - turn off the code that detects rearranged controllers (my point (2) above). For technical reasons, we can't revert to Fanatec's older SDK.