Looking for Tweaks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Empty Box, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Specifically, I wonder if anyone knows if there is a way to achieve two things :

Raise the threshold for tire smoke (make it harder for smoke to come off the tires) - as it is right now the Clios leave smoke all over as the inside rear tire comes back to earth. It looks quite ridiculous because it is quite ridiculous, especially with the not so great smoke effect. I think you could probably turn off soft particles and be done with it, but then you'd lose the soft particles.

And what I'm really more interested in :

Increase shadow draw distance. The "racing shadows" are easily the worst part of rF2's graphics, even on max they still exist. About 50 feet up the road along the walls at LRP for example, there is a sudden drop between a nice dark shadow and then instantly a not so dark shadow. Down the pit straight at Silverstone for example - the building casts the shadow, but half way down the straight the shadow tails off and is only visible once you get further down the straight. I have the PC horsepower to spare, let me use it ISI.

And bonus number 3 - increase the mirror resolution. I remember there was an incredibly easy way to do this back in rF1 if memory serves me correct, but I've totally forgot and I'm not sure that applied to rF2 either.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

More to your problem if you are talking about online 7x tyre wear.

Stops people hopping every curb and locking brakes every lap. hehehe

Lets face it it is not realistic the races I watch anyways.

I see BTCC do exactly what you say, thing is they do not do it lap after lap because they are in a real car with real damage and tyres that fracture. ;)

The good smoke will return I think.

You do remember the good old days 2012 it was that thick you could touch it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

1.I raced the new Clio's at Lime Rock all chicanes yesterday online with 10 or so people, never saw this smoke. I know exactly what you're talking about as I saw it with old versions/builds but I never saw it yesterday (not saying you're wrong or doesn't exist, just simply saying that I had completely different experience from you).

2. I agree, seeing the shadows rendering into existence 20 ft in front of you around the entire lap is brutal

3. I agree, I downloaded a tiny file for GSC with like 5 different files (different resolutions), bam, beautiful mirrors that don't look like a 2003 game in a matter of seconds.

4. To add to this, they need to add the option where the entire car is still rendered while in cockpit view, that way the car exterior and interior is all visible in the mirrors for a much more realistic experience (not to mention, "look behind" won't work as you'll just stare into your seat, lol, just like in GSC - so much better!!!)

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Empty Box, what you ask for is possible, but needs modding and repackaging of certain components.
    For amount of smoke emitted I´m not sure though, especially because Clio-package is possibly encrypted.

5. johnconner

johnconner Registered

what is the point of more effects its eye candy then you have more lag, constant disconnections online and unfair racing because some peoples systems and lap times will be hampered.

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Three good suggestions. All have been made here repeatedly over the *years* already. I can safely say ISI knows about them, but will address only in their own way/time.

7. Emery

Emery Registered

Tire smoke is wrapped up in the tire model for a mod, where there's a line for the temperature that rubber vaporizes. Basically the mod would have to be repackaged.

Shadow draw distance absolutely requires work by ISI. No workaround for players.

Mirror resolution, due to the packaging, is not moddable by players like it was in rF1 because we can't drop loose files into the game. It might be adjustable by a modder (say as a tuning option), but it seems that if it were, it would have been done by now.

8. matf1

matf1 Registered

There is a compromise if you are willing to take it. Drop shadows to medium.

You lose quite a bit but that also includes the running shadows.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

9. argo0

argo0 Registered

I've got shadows on medium. Still get running shadows.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

4th or 5th graphics thread in last couple of days...

Yep, running shadows indeed exist on all settings, anything less than max and they are very much obvious on all guardrails at LRP.

Graphics have nothing to do with online lag or disconnections.

11. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

In the Player.json there are these lines for smoke, rain spray, flames, dust,...

"Vehicle Flow Offset":3.1,
    "Vehicle Flow Offset#":"Offset below vehicle where sphere center is located",
    "Vehicle Flow Radius":4,
    "Vehicle Flow Radius#":"Vehicle sphere radius for smoke\/flames\/dust\/spray",

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Then turn them higher than medium. There are running shadows on most games, they'll deal with them differently. Some, for example, fade them out (look at the grandstand in the background), others will (like we do) sharply reduce them to minimize performance impact. Most similar games will have a similar distance, depending on performance, but this can vary... I guess it's something to be looked at in any case. Maybe we give people too many options, and it should be On or Off, rather than allowing settings like Medium.

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

14. Redpxl

Redpxl Registered

Nothing worse to see trees shadows appear on track surface right in front of your car! It is sadly better to disable most shadows in rf2 (low or medium).

15. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

For the shadow draw distance problem, a possible solution:

- Disable shadow blur.

- If you have changed texture sharpening in your plr file, set it back to the default value of 5

16. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Change the shadow drawing to a nice slow fade?
    Was playing Shift2 the other day and noticed their track shadows have reasonably low draw distance, but a nice smooth fade in as you approached them. Simple trick but worked a treat.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm not sure the 'Flow' works since ISI updated the Special Effects (Dust/Smoke etc) code a few builds back, before that it worked as intended even if it did look a bit weird.

Since going Crossfire I've been able to have Shadows on MAX and it's made a world of difference, no more "drawing shadows" for me :D

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

But you still get the "running shadows..." Because the rest of using MAX all along sure do.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Well I havn't noticed them at all so if they are "drawing" then it's no where near as noticeable as before, certainly not enough for me to think about them anyway!

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It has nothing to do with having too many shadow options, because it happens with high and max shadows as well.

If anything, we need more options/flexibility with options for things such as the following:

1a) Global car initial rendering distance (further than this, vehicles won't be rendered AT ALL)

1b). Global car LOD distance (distance for highest level and lowest level LOD to kick-in, then remaining LODs, if available, will be equally split in-between the chosen min and max distances)

2. Global shadow (including car shadows??) initial rendering distance (further than this, shadows won't be rendered AT ALL)

2b). Global shadow LOD max & min distance - these aren't actual LODs in the car sense, but rather, using higher resolution and/or more blurred shadows the closer they get. The max quality you can achieve is whatever you set your shadow quality settings to (for eg. If you choose "optimized", then the max quality the shadows ever become is the "optimized" quality).

3a) Global track-objects rendering distance.

3b). Global track-objects LOD min and max distance - if trackside objects even have/use different LODs, if they don't, then this option can be used in a similiar way as "2b" (above); where the min to max value (and everything in-between) is based on your "circuit detail" setting and uses those levels (min, medium, high, full) for the different levels going only as high as whatever you set your "circuit detail" setting to.

The current way and obviousness of shadows rendering into existence looks cheap and beta-ish, sorry to be blunt.

P.S. While we're on the in-game-options subject, how about finally throwing the max framerate option in there (and a ton of other ones)? To much messing with thousands of lines of notepad files all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015