Looking for the 1995 CART mod

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Alex Curtis, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Alex Curtis

Alex Curtis Registered

Hello sim racers! Does anyone have the 1995 CART files?

2. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Hello. This mod has not been converted to rF2.

3. Alex Curtis

Alex Curtis Registered

Thanks for letting me know! Do you happen to know if a 1997 F1 mod exists? I saw it on youtube...lol

Thanks again

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I don't know what 1997 F1 has to do with the original topic, but there IS a 1998 Champcar mod.(currently being reworked)

5. Ayrton de Lima

Ayrton de Lima Registered

Champcar 05 06 07 have been converted but need updating. @iDTDoug any news if the 1995 mod will be converted? It was one of the best in rfactor 1.

6. Chris Lesperance

Hello! I did take a look at the 1995 mod a while ago. The way that rF1 and rF2 does the cockpit view and files is different. It was taking me a while to edit the models to it work with the rF2 format. Even then, it was taking some 3d modeling knowledge to get the high detail interior to match up to the car body. I eventually scrapped the idea. Maybe somebody with better knowledge would be able to do that.

7. Ayrton de Lima

Hello, but do you have the edited files???

8. SharD

SharD Registered

I'd argue that this mod is not really worth converting. I've tried it a few times, but the mechanics are quite poor, the AI cars crash a lot and get stuck inside each other. Even after completely overhauling the .hdv and upgrade files.

9. Chris Lesperance

I think I only attempted one car before it was too much 3d for me to work on.

There was an AC conversion done. I think that conversion edited some of the 3d. It's been a couple years since I've looked into it and I'm not sure on the quality.

@SharD, the getting stuck into each other might be the collision files. It's been a long time since I've looked, but that might be part of the issue.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

wasn't @PatientRF2fan working on those? Or maybe that was around 1998.

11. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

How can this be deemed not worth a conversion? If I recall correctly the 3D still holds up and all. I see no reason why not

12. Ayrton de Lima

I understand, I think it's the best rfactor formula mod, it's a shame @iDTDoug didn't make a version for rf2, he has the workshop item from champcar 05/06, in this case you were the one who converted the 07???

13. SharD

SharD Registered

I've converted it.

But, as I said, the mechanics need a lot of work.

14. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I doubt it needs much more than so much else :D

15. SharD

SharD Registered

The models are decent, still.

GRAB_281.JPG GRAB_279.JPG

But the AI is horrible:

GRAB_280.JPG

For CART, it is probably better to wait on Chief's CART 1990 mod, and use the (good) CART '98 mod for more "modern" vehicles.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  16. SharD

SharD Registered

17. Chris Lesperance

I did both the 05-06 Lola and the Panoz DP01 (07) conversions. The Lola was my first real conversion. I gave to Doug to upload as I didn't know how to upload to Steam at the time, and he was still involved with modding. He's taken a step back. Haven't chatted with him in a long time. The Panoz was my second real serious conversion, that I uploaded as I figured out how to upload on Steam :)

1995 mod is worth of a conversion. @SharD, the 1995 pics look great. It's been a long time since I've looked at the models, but I remember a low poly cockpit on the CarBody_A.gmt. Then a high detail cockpit on a separate cockpit.gmt. That worked for rF1 as it didn't display the CarBody_A.gmt in cockpit view. In rF2, it does. I seem to remember that I started deleting the low poly cockpit to merge the high detail one in, but the geometry wasn't matching and it was leaving gaps. It was a bit out of my 3d knowledge at the time. So I moved on to other projects, the Panoz at the time.

18. SharD

SharD Registered

I can give it another try.

I've also got most of the '91 skins (made by myself) and '92 and '93 skins from racedepartment. So, it can feel the gap between Chief's 1990 mod and Cart Factor, which starts with the 1996 season.

19. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

yeah, not much modding in a while. Last real job i had was Toronto for simExperience/Honda before they moved to iRacing. I still have all the tools needed but my time is now spent riding my motorcycle and the occasional flight sim. I still maintain all of iDT domains and archives.