Looking For an Opinion About Pedal Problem in Logitech Formula Force Ex

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BluesAdam, Jun 22, 2017.

1. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

Hi all,

First of all, I know this problem probably won't be fixed or anything but I am just asking for your opinions. Please feel free to contribute.

So the problem is, the accelerator pedal registers unwanted input when fully released or fully pressed. Jumps between 0-10% and 90-100% let's say. The funny part is, it fixes when I wobble the pedal port in the wheel. There is this fine point where eliminates all jittery input but after a while it returns and I have to find that sweet spot again. Also, when I nudge the pedal port, pedals make erratic inputs so I am thinking there is some sort of issue in the port where you connect the pedal to the wheel base.

I have checked and there is no blockage in either part. There is, however, a little bit of rust in the pedal cable. I tried to get rid of the rust using sandpaper and will try if that fixes it. I tried cleaning the pedals, it is completely clean and does not help or worsen the situation in any way. There is no problem with the brake pedal, only the acceleration pedal. If anyone has encountered a similar problem and maybe give me an advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance and have a good day ;)

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sounds like the potentiometer is broken. You have to get a new one.

3. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    peterchen likes this.
  4. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

Hey there, I just came here for an update. Apparently the rust indeed was causing jittering. After eliminating the rust as much as possible from the metal surfaces using a sandpaper, I no longer have unwanted input. I am so happy right now.

By the way, just tried the game and it's awesome :) Can't wait to get up to pace and participate in races :)

bravotangosix likes this.
  5. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

Hi again, just a heads up in case someone else is going through the same problems and looking for a fix.

First of all, after the initial rust removal and cleaning of the wheel itself, I have fixed two major problems. First one is the unwanted input. While accelerator pedal was fully released, I would get around 5% input which was very annoying and deadzone is never cool :) So I fixed that.

The second and even more major issue was (I thought that was the intended behaviour like some sort of an idiot) that while the car was idle, wheel would start turning left and right about 15 degrees in each direction. Think like driving offroad and wheel flinging from one side to another. Straight stability was out of the question. So I disassembled the wheel and cleaned all the cogs from dust and residue. I did not even do a thorough cleaning. Just get whatever I can out of the cogs using a clean rag and toothpick. The results were incredible. There is no feedback from the wheel while the car is idle and even in straights at high speeds.

Thanks to your advice, I watched a couple of pot cleaning videos and I am fairly confident that cleaning the pots with contact cleaner sprays will fix the last problem: the jittery input. I will buy grease oil and contact cleaner, remove the old grease from pedals and the wheel, clean the pots thoroughly, apply new grease and see how that works out. I was sure the wheel was dead to be honest but thanks to your advice it is almost good as new so kudos for that. I'll let you all know how things go.

Thank you again and may your lap times improve :)

bravotangosix and peterchen like this.
  6. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

Amazing news!

Found a contact cleaner today after a long search. Applied to the pedals, connection ports etc. and the results are amazing. The jittery pedals are smooth as hell now. Almost as if I bought the wheel yesterday. I am beyond happy right now.

Applied it to my 10 year old logitech attack 3 joystick too, which was in very bad shape, unreliable jittery inputs and it works like a charm as well. If you are having such problems, I definitely suggest you clean the pots of your wheel or whatever using a contact cleaner. I also renewed the grease oil in the pedals and even the feeling of it changed. No more dragging in pedals, they move very smooth.

Thanks again for your suggestion again bravotangosix, appreciated.

bravotangosix likes this.