Looking for an efficient way to Transmit Data to Nextion Display

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by zengrf18, Aug 24, 2019.

1. zengrf18

zengrf18 Registered

Hi, guys.
    I'm planning to make my own sim racing dashboard and control box in rFactor 2. So I would use an Arduino UNO(acting as an interchange station on information) , connecting into PC. For the dashboard module, Arduino gets telemetry data from rFactor 2 and send commands to Nextion display.

Now I've added serial communication based on the official example plugin. But sometimes the numbers shown were not correct. I think it's due to the limited data length in each period of transmission(I directly converted numerical values to strings. I limited max data length in serial communication to 60, since I discovered that higher value hugely affected ingame fps). Is there another way of converting numerical data for serial communication that consumes less storage space?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I have used the simhub, arduino, display nextion, or lcd screens, but the pc uses a lot of resources when you play, so when I change from monitor to oculus rift, I already threw away all that

3. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    The Iron Wolf and Corti like this.
  4. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

I ran into a wall trying to get data from OBD to nextion fast enough as well, (via arduino OBD), eventually I gave up because the project size was getting to use bigger and bigger arduino boards to provide enough non software serial ports, I found the 4D systems screens to be a LOT more usefull, as they break out their own serial ports and run pretty fast internally, the screen language is like an unholy abomination of C and python, but once you get the jist of it, its a great alternative. you can see a bit of its code type here and link to the screen, (i stopped this project update after i moved most of the code to the display instead of the arduino. links to the screen in the post somewhere, no idea where you can buy depending what part of the world you are in, but i think just contact them directly? http://ceebeeoddsandsods.blogspot.com/2018/05/gps-motorcycle-logger.html