[REL] Longford 1967 v1.0 [2018-08-15]

Discussion in 'Locations' started by woochoo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm still enjoying the scenery too much. Far too many seconds away from those times!

2. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Woochoo, any update news to report? Just wonderin' now that the AC427 is on the way ...

No pressure or anything like that (yeh).

3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

sure, why not :)

in-progress change log:

- Road: Slight changes to road surface before pub, including what appears to be a pot hole filling, as recently noticed in ref material.
    - Road Decals: Some small material and texture changes (higher res).
    - Pub: Some small mesh, mapping, and texture changes.
    - Houses: Upgraded house models with more polygons and new textures.
    - Houses: Some changes to house distribution based on reference photos.
    - Bleachers: New highpoly model with new texture (old model still used for lower detail levels).
    - Kerbs/Gutters: Increased mesh density for smoothing hard edges.
    - Gutter/Footpath: Remade and extended gutter/footpath on the left side of the beginning of Tannery Straight (in the town).
    - Driveway Thresholds: Added concrete ramps over gutter to footpath.
    - Haybales: Welded and smoothed bales (they look a bit better and a bit worse now - different... just different)
    - Fences: Some small changes to textures and materials of timber plank fences.
    - Sponsor Signs: New meshes and textures for global oil company sponsor signs.
    - AIW: Adjustments to blocking path, aimed at reducing severe blocking on the Flying Mile.
    - HDR: Adjustments to a number of textures (primarily white/bright) that were excessively clipping against the white point of the new build 948 HDR automation.
    - Optimisation: Some fairly insignificant batching and/or material reduction.

The last week or so has been about adjusting textures to the new HDR scheme. That includes...:
    >>*darken grass clumps
    >>*darken grass wall
    >>*darken grass C/D/D_var
    >>*gravels
    >>*marshals boiler suit
    >>*dirt
    >>*road decal lines
    >>*flag poles
    >>*tyre/tire markers
    >>*hay bales
    >>*fen_postrail
    >>*fen_postdropper
    >>*fen_strainers
    >>*roadside marker posts
    >>*culvert arcs
    >>*footpath/kerb
    >>*longford/speed sign
    >>*gutters/kerbs
    >>*crowd
    >>*bleachers
    >>*longines
    >>*firestone
    >>*mobil signs
    >>*brake markers
    >>*rope
    >>*bunting
    >>*speaker horns
    >>*avis/olympic
    >>*stobie pole
    >>*plane tree base white
    >>*sml bush
    >>*reeds dry and green
    >>*corner signs
    >>*sheds
    >>*poplar
    >>*kingsley
    >>*train station platform
    >>*tannery/newry culverts
    >>*viaduct culvert
    >>*viaduct white paint
    >>*house walls and roofs
    >>*mill
    >>*pub
    >>*pub rear white block fence
    >>*tents
    >>*sign boards
    >> banners (bp,*datsun,*dunlop, repco, sf)
    >> all the cars
    >> tram
    >> pits
    >> control tower
    >> footbridge - inc remap?
    >> wht fences
    >> mountford gate/fence

*= done

So, the town looks nicer with the new house models, and as a result the associated footpath area has been upgraded.
    Some old meshes have been updated or replaced.
    I might do a run of screenshots showing some/most of the new models/things, because i think at racing speed they'll be less evident.
    But since Longford is now sort of endorsed third-party content i think it's kinda important to get it a bit closer to ISI quality.

You'll notice there isn't a word about the online grid spawning glitch/bug. It has happened before and the best solution i could find back then was to redo the aiw, so i'm mentally preparing for that. It's also kinda difficult to test since it doesn't seem to happen with online AI, so it takes actual online human users to break it apparently. So I've been completely denying it all by working on assets :p But the asset work is nearly done, and it's extremely unlikely that the next release won't include an attempt at a fully working online grid spawn.

"when?"
    asap, but i don't decide what is possible or when :p

edit: really enjoying ISI's exposure of Longford with the Cobra promo materials. Thanks ISI :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
  4. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Holy crap Batman! You've been busy.

I was only expecting a few HDR tweaks and you've gone way beyond that. I'll try and be patient since I know your time is at a premium, but it's going to be difficult Woo.

Awesome, simply awesome.

5. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Well done woochoo :)

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I think we're about to hit version 1.0, no? I mean there is only so much improvement on near perfection that is possible. :)

7. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Cheers guys :)
    It's a lovely thought...
    Not all of my assets have aged well over the last six years, and a few are on their second version, but I'm not sure they all need replacing for a v1.0 release. I would like to replace the last of the GPL models though (the upcoming release should only have the service station and two two-story houses left from GPL). Once I'm done with the texture adjustments for HDR/Albedo/Whitepoint and the AIW problem I reckon I'll draw the line for v0.99, and v1.0 will probably be the GPL replacements, a few other updates, and presumably a number of tweaks. I'm not expecting to make another track after that.

I've been playing DiRT Rally :p Cruising Greece in the '60s mini. So relaxing.

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

ISI! Quickly hire this guy, before he rides off into the sunset!

10. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I get the impression they're not looking for track makers at the moment, which is fine.

edit: also, the last couple of years I've been working with nice high-res source material and down-sampling them for use in the game. Some of the stuff from the last year or so has been made into 16k texture source files, which get bashed down into 1k/2k/3k.../4k dds textures for you all to enjoy. Why am I mentioning this? Well, from the metaphoric sunset mentioned earlier, I should be able to drop out some high res texture updates for lots of the assets without too much effort, assuming nvidia starts dropping 16gb GPUs for $200 in the next few years :D I expect there will be other ISI tech changes to the engine at some stage that I'll want to update the track for too. So, in theory at least I'd like to give the track limited support into the future to keep it somewhere near up to date.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  11. Emery

Emery Registered

[​IMG]

Until Durge posted that photo, I never noticed that the low white building is really a former streetcar/trolley/tram.

12. woochoo

woochoo Registered

It was formerly Launceston's No. 4 tram. Until the control tower was built (sometime around '61-'62?) the tram was the control centre and positioned beside the road, and then became the police headquarters for the circuit and placed back behind the tower.
    I've done some work on it's texture and material in the last week too, so it now has spec and normal maps plus a bit more detail in the base texture. It's still the same resolution though, which is a bit low but probably ok for what and where it is.

iirc, it ended up on someone's property in Longford and was used as a chookshed. But I could be misremembering that... (alleged source: Launceston's Tram Shed museum)

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  13. woochoo

woochoo Registered

A local news writeup from a few months ago about a local stash of film and photos, plus a little bit about the real-life revival festival held earlier this year (for the third time).
    Nothing to do with my project, but it includes a 3min vid with some pre-67 footage.
    http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2015/03/17/4199150.htm

14. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Thanks woochoo. Sent the link to my mate in Taz. Still loving a quick drive thru the countryside on your track.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Very interesting :)

hey woo I think there is a bug has developed from this last Build, for some reason Longford seems more affected.

When we play "cops and robbers" 4 or 5 of us have had random freezes / hardlockups at Longford.

Usually brought on by sliding collisons.

I think I have even had this on Belgium this build on one occasion but at the time never realized.

Longford though seems to happen a lot , although to be fair we are sliding through paddocks at 100 mph. lol

16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

May be a physics crash led by the tires, some value in a look up table somewhere being off?

17. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Thanks for the report. I've no idea what that could be about.
    Do you mean you are colliding with other cars, while sliding, in a paddock, at 100mph? I remember I didn't tick the compatibility checkbox for that scenario :p

In more general, the news is there isn't much left to do before the next release.
    The trouble is, real life commitments are pushing Longford off to the side for a little while. I'll see if I can squeeze in some room at some time though.
    I still haven't addressed the grid warping problem (because... AIW), but I think I'll ditch the historic 3-2-3-2 grid alignment, which is the one all the other AIWs are based on. So, probably a new AIW file, with all the changes requested incorporated from the start.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah when you spinning wheels , sliding and flick around hitting something or another car seems to induce it.

PS

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-Screens-Only)?p=367529&viewfull=1#post367529

That was taken moments before a freeze for me and the Red Vette, as I came sliding in to arrest him lool
    the front right hit that first tyre, spun me 90 degrees left so I hit him side on and we both froze.

Not like it was a big impact as you can see by speedo.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  19. woochoo

woochoo Registered

cheers,
    well, in that area there is some road poly size of probably around 100cm x 50cm (i'm guessing, but it's more than at most areas). It would be a shame it that's the problem. The tyre markers also have relatively high density (as in much higher than the road, due to their shape). Ever noticed it on mesh sawtooth kerbs on any modern tracks? They should have higher density that than roads (by a fair way). Just kidding, I know you don't drive modern cars/tracks :p Maybe it's worth testing some burnouts and doughnuts across those surfaces

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Just had another one this time hit nothing

CM ( Cousins ) was chasing me in a street vette down the flying mile.

I clipped the grass in braking zone and had the cop car full 90 degrees to road all 4 wheels smoking I kid you not lol

Somehow I pulled it up enough for the bend , as soon as wheels stopped sliding went to punch the throttle again and it locked solid.

So that is a few times it has happened without any collision.