[REL] Longford 1967 v1.0 [2018-08-15]

Discussion in 'Locations' started by woochoo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Why do people keep posting different links.

Confusing.......... way to go. :rolleyes:

2. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Lol some links just dont work for some people durge It's called helping lol

Great track Woochoo I love sitting on the bridges Just watching the river flow!!

3. Phatboy

Phatboy Registered

I've just now gotten to this version of Longford and drove it with the Eve Matra which is also new to me. This is scary good! Holy S@*#, how does one not become a "fanboy"?! Thanks to the modders of this track and this car! Appreciated much!

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Eve Matra? watch out for pasture gates and ponds!

5. Gerben Bervoets

Gerben Bervoets Registered

Downloading now. The track looks top notch.
    Thank you for your hard work.

6. Phatboy

Phatboy Registered

Yea, I learn the hard way!;) Had to dial it back a ways to the F3's. Just glad the gates at the runoffs were left open for me:D

7. Emery

Emery Registered

LOL, gotta corral those runaway horsepower somehow!

8. woochoo

woochoo Registered

in-progress change log preview:

+@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ V0.98 @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@+
    This release is primarily a maintenance release to fix an AIW issue.
    - AIW: Fixed issue where some low-grip/high speed cars would miss apexes, and the final corner entirely (added AI path kinks before turn in - doesn't appear to concern cars which already worked well)
    - House: Replaced old GPL model of large house on driver's left, after rail crossing (new model is ~11K triangles).
    - Tents: New tent models and textures to replace the old ones.
    - Road: Slightly eased some bumps (track mesh) on the flying mile.
    - Road: Added slight hump/dip between turn two and the viaduct (was hard to be sure from reference photos, but newly aquired reference photos from a different angle make it much more obvious - thanks to Cooper997).
    - Trees: Improved tree settings for people not using transparancy AA (should look less bad).
    - Grasses: Improved tree settings for people not using transparancy AA (should look less bad).
    - Crowd: Minor tidy-up work on the old 2d cardboard crowd (yes, still the same old crowd textures at this time).
    - TDF: Small changes to road bumps in terrain physics definition file.
    - Maintenance: Deleted a few megabytes worth of old textures from Maps.mas.
    +@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@+

Since this is/was intended to be an update just to fix the aiw, it will be available fairly soon.
    The addition of the new tents and house models make it a much more meaningful update. The house and tents were more or less at the top of the non-existent and ever-evolving Low Quality Asset list (the It's Old and Needs to be Replaced list).

The "new" hump/dip before the viaduct makes that braking area even more of a tense moment now.
    http://forums.autosport.com/topic/93148-personal-photos-of-australian-motor-racing-50s-to-70s/page-178#entry6915254 (and scroll down from there by a few posts for another shot).

The update to the tree/grass settings will make a BIG positive visual difference to people who don't run Transparency AA (thanks matF1 for bringing attention to it). I didn't realise how nasty they look on lower settings. I'm sorry :)

There are a few more tweaks and tidy-ups I'd like to do, and then it ought to be ready. I'd like to say a week or so, but these things tend to blow out...

9. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Thanks woochoo, thanks for all your work.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Your work is really appreciated Woo, thank you so much!

I have run multiple races on your track during the weekend, enjoying every second of it. :)

11. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Glad you're enjoying it guys :)

Just today I've noticed the 1979 GP cars can't handle the slower corners either, so I've dug into the AIW again and gotten a decent result out of it. Again, it doesn't seem to slow the cars that already worked on the 0.97 aiw file, and the Spark/Eve/Matra 60's F1 cars possibly now work a tiny bit better than they did with the first fix.
    Again, the solution was just some small zigzags in the fast path just before turn in to the corners. In this case, I just increased one or two of the zigs and zags by one click laterally, and added one or two more zigs/zags at the start of the existing zags and zigs.
    e.g.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>brakingzone-------------------/\/\/\/\/\/--turnin

You'll probably notice a little bit of porpoising and false turn in those areas with AI cars that are able to cope with the original path (the BT20 Brabham does).
    It should ruin your day less than having Sparks and Eves etc running off the road instead :p

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

[​IMG]

Little screen as a thank you for your work.

13. woochoo

woochoo Registered

matF1 has given some good feedback about a few things, including AIW performance of the Apex GT3 mod, and the Nissan GTR. I've tried to get them to work a bit better. I think they're about half as bad now :)
    These additional AIW changes are the sorts of things that blow out release date estimates, as mentioned earlier. So it might still be a week away.

Here is an update to the WIP changelog for the next release:
    +@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ V0.98 @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@+
    This release is primarily a maintenance release to fix an AIW issue.
    - AIW: Fixed issue where some low-grip/high speed cars would miss apexes, and the final corner entirely (added AI path kinks before turn in - doesn't appear to concern cars which already worked well).
    - AIW: Attempted to help some modern GT type cars avoid first lap crashes by narrowing AIW corridors.
    - AIW: Some improvement for historic cars (BT20/Howston) crashing in wet conditions at kink before Tannery Corner.
    - House: Replaced old GPL model of large house on driver's left, after rail crossing (new model is ~11K triangles).
    - Tents: New tent models and textures to replace the old ones.
    - Road: Slightly eased some bumps (track mesh) on the flying mile.
    - Road: Added slight hump/dip between turn two and the viaduct (was hard to be sure from reference photos, but newly acquired reference photos from a different angle make it much more obvious - thanks to Cooper997).
    - Road: Some changes to material specular settings.
    - Terrain: Some changes to texture & material specular settings.
    - Terrain: Some changes to some normal maps.
    - Trees: Improved tree settings for people not using transparency AA (should look less bad).
    - Grasses: Improved tree settings for people not using transparency AA (should look less bad).
    - Bushes: Removed some shadow casting in viaduct area.
    - Footbridge: Partial update/partial remake of textures.
    - Crowd: Minor tidy-up work on the old 2d cardboard crowd (yes, still the same old crowd textures at this time).
    - Tyre/Tire Markers: Slight reduction in height of collision mesh (will still flip cars with low floors etc).
    - TDF: Small changes to road bumps in terrain physics definition file.
    - Maintenance: Deleted a few megabytes worth of old textures from Maps.mas.

14. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

As an offline racer, I applaud your efforts to improve the AI! So many trackmakers neglect this aspect...

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi Woochoo!
    Great work! Keep going!
    You should take a look if the nissans and other tin-tops use a special line.
    You can see that in the .rcd file. Apex have no Talent-files, right?

Greets
    Pete

16. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Thanks for the idea, but I don't think it will help.
    On their own, say hotlapping, all these cars handle the track ok. It's just when they're 3-wide on the first two corners, and they try to cheat the apexes too much. After that they're pretty much OK.
    I'm going to do as much as I can to get all cars behaving on the main AIW path, rather than making separate fast paths for each. It doesn't seem the fast paths are the problem.

I just wish all the AI would behave more consistently in respecting the corridors, and behaving on the first lap. The AIW really is the worst part of making a track.

Keep in mind that most of the corridor issues are worst when using the bunched up 3-2-3-2 historic grid, but much better when using the 1-1-1-1 staggered grid.
    On the staggered grid I'd guess 80% of the problems are solved. There is less opportunity to be 3-wide into the first corner.
    I'm very pleased to say that cars like the BT20 can handle their period-correct 3-2-3-2 historic grid without severe acrobatics through the first few corners.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm happy to report that I have just had 2 very successful races against the EVE and Spark F2's and F1's.
    100 strength / 25 aggression and I didn't see any crashes or even off track excursions at the final hairpin.

I am a very happy camper, woochoo.
    You have made my day! :cool:

18. woochoo

woochoo Registered

That's good news :)
    To avoid confusion, hexagramme and a few others have a pre-release version of 0.98 that they're testing for me. The work I've reported in the last couple of days relates to my own version that has come after their test version.

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Oh yes, of course that could cause some confusion as to which version I was actually talking about. Let me know if you'd rather receive such reports on PM for the time being. :)

Cheers

20. woochoo

woochoo Registered

You can reply on here if you want to, as long as it's clear if you're using a test/private version. Otherwise there might be people arguing over actual facts, but using different versions as the basis for their facts (the story of the world, basically).