[REL] Longford 1967 v1.0 [2018-08-15]

Discussion in 'Locations' started by woochoo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. StefBord

StefBord Registered

2. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Thank you woochoo, this is a superb track, you are an artist

3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Thanks for the positive responses :)
    The near-immediate plans for the track include replacing the old, low poly, low res building just past the rail crossing.
    That building was originally made by a guy named Gustav, who was working in a small team to make Longford for GPL c2001, which they didn't finish or release.
    They were happy for me to use their building models as place-holders for my rF track, which has been very handy, saving me time and effort early in the project.
    Over the years I've made some small changes to some of those models, and every now and then I finally replace another one with a more modern quality mesh and textures.
    It has been pretty convenient that system performance and my own skillz have improved in that time, so each new building is a little better than the last.

And since there does seem to be an issue with the Spark and Eve F1/F2 cars and the AI path, I'll sink some tedious hours, maybe days and days, into working around it.
    So there might be a maintenance release in the next few weeks, including updated an AIW and the new building model.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Sounds like a great plan. You're a champ the way you're sticking with this project, great determination results in a great track.

I would love to be able to race the historic F2's, F1's and the most brutal Howstons without crash carnage at the last hairpin. Will the future AIW remedy that problem? Or is it still up to ISI to make some changes to the way the AI handles the historics?

5. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I've never had a problem with the Howston AI... Do you mean the Howstons are crashing at the last corner as well?
    The updated AIW will be entirely focused on getting the Sparks and Eves around the last corner. I expect I'll give them their own specified, hacked-up fast path, since most other cars work as-is.
    Keep in mind that the BT20 can get around there, in case you need some '60s F1 AI combatants immediately.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I meant the really gnarly 580 bhp Howston G6.
    The smaller spec Howstons get around the last corner just fine.

Getting the Sparks and EVE's around that hairpin will be great. Thanks for putting in the effort.
    Haven't tried the BT20 for ages actually... Hmm.

You know where to find me. ;)

7. pitkin

pitkin Registered

Thanks for this, it's a real blast to drive and shows just how good rF2 can look if given the right amount of TLC.

8. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Thanks StefBord,
    The train crossing is a tricky thing. The photo you've posted is probably from between '59 and '61.
    I've read that at some time the level crossing was lowered a little, or a least the hump was eased. It might have been after the 1964 race meeting when Tim Mayer was killed after loosing control on the hump before the pub.
    My perception is that my track has a bigger hump than is there in the town these days. There may have been more changes since the races finished. So, who knows :)

9. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I'm going to crawl out on an iffy tree branch and quietly suggest that the aiw issue with the Spark and Eve F1/F2 cars running wide in corners has been dealt with.
    Sometimes some of the cars do still miss the apex (mainly/only the Eve Matra), but they stay on the road. Missing the apex wouldn't be completely unusual for such a corner (is my excuse).
    The paths have been hacked about with two or three little kinks in the fast path just before the turn in to the corners. The same idea that was used in rF1 for similar problems.
    It doesn't seem to have had much or maybe any effect on other cars that were managing to make it around the corners in the first place.
    I've also put the kinks into the block path.

I couldn't reproduce getting the 580hp G6 to run wide before or after the changes, but I guess it's better now too. Since this is an assumption, I'm going to throw a party when I find out I'm wrong. You're all invited.

I tried a few other things to get the AI to work better with the corners before reverting to the old kink trick, so as i expected it did result in nearly a day's worth of frustration.

In other news, I didn't start work on the AIW until I had finished the mesh for the building update. It's around 10k triangles. Sure, that's a lot, but for a house it's a moderately complex building, and I don't want to have to update it again anytime soon. And it should look pretty good. About a year ago my friend and I measured the house, with the owners permission, and I've got a whole bunch of photos for textures.
    Next step is the unwrap, and then the texturing. It's a good thing it's windy and rainy outside...

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Which house is that?

11. woochoo

woochoo Registered

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thank you.

13. tjc

tjc Registered

All sounding really good woochoo... :cool:

14. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Woo, is it time to start the clock again?

As for missing the apex, I do that with such frequency that I thought the AI was just copying me. Sometimes I prefer to take the scenic route ...

15. woochoo

woochoo Registered

It might be better to start the clock in a week or so.
    10k is a lot of triangles to translate from three dimensions down into two dimensions, in a rational and efficient manner, and then fill in with sliced-up bits of photos.
    And that's before the fine adjustments.

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Just tried the update for the first time. Everything looks and feels great. Nice job. Celica gto is much fun around here.

17. Alexims

Alexims Registered

I would like to download Longford 0.97 but any of the mirrors
    to download from ISI.forums/downloads doesn't work for me.
    Gamefront say 'File Not Found' and Mega say 'Temporal Error. Re-trying'.

And RaceDepartment Longford's site has only the 0.92 version.

Where can I download this whoochoo masterpiece?
    Thanks in advance.

18. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

19. Alexims

Alexims Registered

Thank you, Nuno.
    Downloading. :p

And thank you woochoo. Superb track.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned