Long races crash if replay quality set above medium

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Sachmo, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

Experiencing a problem where long races are crashing to Windows Desktop during the race. For example, a 161 lap event at Bathurst with 24 vehicles crashes before 100 laps are complete. If I turn replay quality down to medium the race completes finei.

Higher quality than that and the game crashes once the replay file reaches around 2GB. This wasn't an issue a year ago when I last did one of these races - the game wouldn't crash at that point.

Does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

find these lines in your player.json and change either from either false or true to the opposite. I don't know if that will 'fix' things, but it's the first thing that popped into me noggin'. You would probably need A-LOT of system ram to run 161 laps and have it all stored in memory!!!!

"Record To Memory":false,
    "Record To Memory#":"record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be

Sachmo likes this.
  3. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

Cheers @davehenrie , I've tried recording to memory but the game crashes out at the same lap (didn't get to see the memory usage but I'm thinking this would have been around the 2GB mark again). I have 16GB of memory, around 7GB is used prior to starting a race - so 9GB should be plenty, but yeah the race crashes around lap 84. I'm also using solid state drives, so there wasn't a noticeable difference in performance during game between SSD and memory.

Also tried changes to the Replay compression settings, "Compress Replay" in the player.json. To no avail, although probably expected, given the comment for this setting states it uses less disk space "but takes more time to write when a session ends"... so I'm assuming the replay data stores uncompressed and only uses this setting at the end of a session to save/compress the file. I don't get to the end of the session in order to see this compression happen, I crash out during the session.

This used to work fine, even as recent as a year ago... and I could look through the long replays. But now its broken.

Cheers again for the suggestion.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

sorry it wasn't of any help. I would agree the compress replay is something done at the end of a session and may have led to some of the complaints about long exit waits AND then the sim not loading properly next time due to users shutting down rF2 before all the work was completed.

Sachmo likes this.
  5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Are you letting Windows manage virtual memory as well? If so, try setting it manually. I use min/max set to 30000.