Long loading times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whitmore, Jan 1, 2018.

1. whitmore

whitmore Registered

For me since the latest game update loading times in all aspects of the game have increased.
    Syncing with workshop 5 minutes.( every time game loads)
    Game load from launcher 3 minutes with total inactivity until loaded.
    Track and car combination 2 - 4 minutes
    This totals to near 10 minutes before game is ready to play.
    Video replay 5 minutes to load.

Previously all loading times were half of these times very frustrating.
    By comparison AMS in which I have a similar amount of content installed, loads and is ready to play in 3 minutes.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Something's obviously up, I'd probably verify the files, try a clean player.JSON (make a backup of your player folder to copy back in afterwards), maybe try the runtimes just in case though I doubt they'd slow things down, just stop working. Also as a test try disabling your antivirus, I once had devmode taking 5+ mins to load and had to uninstall and reinstall my antivirus to get it back to the normal 20 seconds. Seemed to work in every other way, just kept doing something with rF2 for some reason. (ok, so disabling it didn't work, I had to reinstall it - just something to bear in mind, if it's going haywire checking what rF2 is doing it could slow things down, and might have decided since the update it needs to keep an eye on it)

PS Disappointed you fixed 'Game toad', I was going to refer to it :D

PPS Maybe it's your DDR166 ram (in your sig) :p

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

As ever if you clear cbash and shaders the first run will be long, it should be shorter after that though. Of course the more content you have the longer the initial load time that's to be expected, but 10 mins like Lazza says is odd, mine is averaging 3-5 mins from launcher to track depending on number of AI/mod/track selection.

4. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Thank you for the replies gents. So far files verified, new Jason, rerun runtime install, no antivirus, all shaders & cbash deleted,DDR3 ram confirmed (LOL), nothing of note as yet.

Next move is to do a second separate install like I had for DX11 & DX9 before the last update automatically turned my dx9 into dx11.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

5. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Load times are related to the content of the workshop. If you are subscribed to a large number of articles, the first time you start rF2 it takes a lot of time. Probably, the elimination of the cache has aggravated the problem since it is now much more content to check.

My load times are similar to those of @whitmore . Last time you reinstated rF2 from scratch, delete all subscriptions from the workshop and the game loaded in seconds. I made a selection of the subscribed articles and loading times were acceptable for a while, now with the passage of time and many more articles subscribed load times are again terrible.

6. bwana

bwana Registered

Wayne , had my rf2 installed on my ā€˜Cā€™ drive and with barely no space left moved it to ā€˜ D ā€˜ and noticed (after initial startup) that it runs a bit quicker although still probably 5 minutes to actually drive . Just a thought (72gb btw )

7. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Thanks banana will investigate moving install to different hard drive

bwana likes this.
  8. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Did a second install using Steam GUI Cmd. After setup I have 114 vehicles and 45 tracks installed. Same as original install.
    The second install is sitting on the same drive as my original install. Time for steam synch check before launcher ready to use 15 seconds.
    After track has been loaded once, with 10 AI loading time from launcher activated to car displayed sitting in pit box is 59 seconds . Go figure.
    So much time is spent sorting what goes on with RF2 it is ridicules. Average player will just give up.
    For me this all started with the unrequested upgrade from DX9 to DX11.
    Just reading the number of people having trouble with content missing , game not loading, various other misfits there is little hope for RF2 to become game for the masses. IMO. For me the question has to be asked how beneficial was the move to steam.

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I guess that the possibility of interrupting the synchronization with steam Workshop would be more than welcome by many.

The other thing that is a bit frustrating is the car loading to the spinner. Aren't there cbash and shaders for these?

10. Mulero

Mulero Registered

My loading times at Silverstone with 25 cars. Total content 95 tracks and 135 cars.

First time rF2 opens.

Sinchronizing with Steam Workshop - 70 sec.
    Loading game - 60 sec.
    Loading the track - 80 sec.

Total time - 3 min. 30 sec.

Second time rF2 opens.

The whole process - 1 min. 20 sec.

The first time rF2 is opened is quite slow. If you also have to create shaders and cbash files it becomes eternal. Many people do not get to load a second track ....