Long in the Tooth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BoothJoe, Nov 13, 2015.

1. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

And drive Dynaflos and hotrod Lincolns. Maybe a deuce and a quarter. A goat with three deuces. But I think it would have to be a point-to-point track.

2. jimortality

jimortality Registered

Sorry, can you now repeat in English lol!

3. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

64. I was top 10 on GPL rank (for my age group) before all the chassis/engine swaps and cheats muddied the rankings. Rf1 was more difficult but I still did all right. Rf2 - 17 years after GPL, it's just for fun and frustration now. I'm just happy there's still a slider for AI speed! Still love it. Probably even more so when I get to my winter project of getting a SimXperience rig.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I would like a dollar for every rookie (I bet mostly younger) that disregarded my rookie lessons of religiously executing proper pit out, pit in, box and pitstop procedure.......everytime all the time.

You can make up 1/10ths or more a lap with reflexes and throw it all away in the pits because you missed your box or relayed wrong pit info.

This is where patience and old heads can grab a advantage.

5. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Registered

Practice, practice, practice. Reaction times can be trained. I seem to remember reading recently about a study showing lifelong gamers having faster-than-average reaction times to all kinds of stimuli.

A 50-year old who trains 3-5x a week (+30 yrs real-world driving experience) versus a casual 16-year old driver? My money is on the older bloke.

Try this: play 15mins of warm-up on a hardcore one-shot-kill first-person-shooter like Insurgency. If you aren't reduced to a gibbering wreck by the insane pacing and barely-human reaction time requirements, then fire up RF2 and everything will feel like slow-motion!

I'm also curious about the effect of music...has anyone noticed better/worse performance when listening to certain music while driving?

I can't help wondering if music at a BPM roughly equivalent to your pulse rate might act as a sort of metronome, keeping breathing in sync; I've noticed I tend not to hold my breath during dicey corners if there is zippy music in the background. On the other hand conventional wisdom says music is bad for concentration...

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I love to listen to music sometimes Cuthbert, in the C6 mainly as it has a "smoother" engine then all the Historics, well most all cars . lol :)

Music could have the opposite effect on different people I would think.

I often wonder how F1 drivers put up with the babble they get.

Personally I rarely drove a road cars without music but not to deafen you ( well mostly lol )

I would say loud music has been the cause or part of more then a few accidents.

I did a lot of long haul trucking on some pretty long and lonely roads, you would have gone stir crazy with no vibes. :)

P.S.

Out on a darkened Longford in your favorite ride fire up "All Along the Watchtower" Jimi Hendrix , gr.

-------

What you say about games........then sims

After a week of steering a 38 ton semi trailer you would get in your car at the depot and the steering wheel felt like licorice and it woud turn corners as easy as a shopping trolley. hehehe

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2015
  7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Listening to music don´t work good for me, as I have to concentrate on every screetch my car is telling me, so I know exactly what car is doing.
    Must note that I have general concentration-problems, so this doesn´t have to be normal...:eek:

8. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Registered

I hear ya! I spent part of the summer driving a cement mixer up and down a 1500m mountain - 6-7 round trips a day. At the end of a shift, a Nissan Micra feels like a Ferrari with insta-stop brakes! And only 5 forward gears?! Where are the other 13?!

Music? something jaunty going up the mountain, but something slow coming down!

Cement-truck mountain hairpin driving protip: Provided the turn is steep AND correctly cambered, if you are on two wheels going uphill around a hairpin, you are doing it mostly right and are impressing oncoming traffic. If you're on two wheels going downhill around a hairpin, you are doing it mostly wrong and are about to die ;)

9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Lol man you guys are old letting me get away with this

10. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Brazilian GP lap 52: “Stop talking to me in the braking zone,” Button moans down the radio at his McLaren boys. “You had the whole straight to talk to me.”

11. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Listen to this :D

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I'm 47 and I used to be fast. Now I just have fun :p