Long delays between sessions & quitting?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by MileSeven, Mar 16, 2021.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I’ve been plagued by this for a while but have lost track as to whether it’s a New UI issue or local to just my install.

My main bugbear is when quitting from a session and returning to the main menus - I generally suffer lengthy delays (30 secs, a minute? More?) before the destination screens load an become active. If I click the mouse button, Windows pops up a Close/Wait dialogue box and I have to wait (interminably)...

The other issue is the time taken for my machine to recognise and switch over when the online race session changes (e.g. from Warmup to Race). A group of us do multiple short sprint races one night every week and I’m forever missing the first 30 secs or so of qualifying or only being able to join the grid just before the timer runs down - my system just sits with the previous session still up on screen until after everyone else... Makes it tricky/impossible to load/amend a setup between Warmup and Race, for instance...

I have verified files and these issues have persisted through multiple New UI iterations...

2. atomed

atomed Member

First one sounds as a big replay file being written, have you tried disabling it and watching if it still happens?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Also along the same theme, are you using any plugins that write to disk? If I remember correctly an earlier version of @Lazza 's damplugin caused some long write issues, if you are using it make sure you have the latest version, works more goodly :D

4. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

I’ve had this recently, not sure if it started after the last rf2 update or after I updated Damplugin.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, replays and plugins are the two things that come to mind for this. First confirm that it's reproducible, then disable all addon plugins and try again (If it happens every time, a couple of tests will confirm; if it only happens most of the time, do 5-10 tests).

If that doesn't help, disable replays entirely and try again.

This should allow you to find the culprit, or confirm it's neither of those. A trace file may help.

6. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks - it’s definitely reproducible - and I had overlooked plug-ins as a possible cause...

...but I had assumed that the DAMPlugin (the only one I use that logs, I think? SharedMemoryMap doesn’t, does it?) finished writing to disk as soon as the ‘logging complete’ audio plays...? I certainly flip between rf2 and Motec frequently and always find the latest log ready.

I’ll do some proper testing as suggested.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, DAMPlugin should be pretty idle once the log is finished. But bugs aren't part of the design, so best to test :D

8. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I sometimes get disconnected from the server when it takes too long switching sessions. Mostly happens to me if there are lots of drivers on the server. Had it for years now and well before the new UI was born.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  9. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Do you have the advanced logging on? It writes a big file, and can take a long time to save it when the session is over.
    "RealTimeLogging":0,
    "RealTimeLogging#":"0=off, 1=Accurate",
    In player.json.

10. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

It's set to 0.

11. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Ditto - mine is set to zero.

12. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I don’t have a conclusive ‘fix’ but have seen some apparent improvement after clearing out my Replays folder... I suspect the improvement is more down to the release-candidate update of the last few days though as turning off replays entirely did not seem to be a consistent winning move.

Turns out I had c. 2000 replays going back to c. 2016 on this install. If nothing else, this was a shameful waste of disk space!

DJCruicky likes this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In another very recent thread a new rF2 profile removed long pauses between UI screens - maybe it will help here?

@MileSeven I only recently cleaned out telemetry from 2012 :eek:

14. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

@Lazza - thanks, I’ll have a look there too.

I do regularly clean out your Motec logs as (my version at least of) the Motec software itself takes progressively longer over time to return the list of data files to open as the number of entries builds up.