SOLVED Logitech G29 Wheel Rotation

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by suspectmonkey, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suspectmonkey

suspectmonkey Registered

I've just started venturing into the world of rF2 having recently purchased it along with the GT3 pack and the Endurance Pack. One thing I noticed straight away is that the "Vehicle Set" wheel rotation didn't work with my G29. After some searching I found that this was a known issue and was being worked on, so I was pleased when the November Update (Build 1112) release notes mentioned:
    • Support for the Logitech G29 and G920 was added, fixing some long outstanding issues with these wheels.
    I assumed that this would resolve the wheel rotation issue out of the box, but even after creating a fresh Controller.json file I still could not get the rotation set by the vehicle. By chance I came across the section in the release notes titled Software Wheel Rotation Explained. The wording of this seems like it's primarily aimed at OSW and SimSteering users, but following the instructions to tweak Controller.json worked for my G29.

Should I need to follow the Software Wheel Rotation instructions to get vehicle set wheel rotation for my G29, or should it work "out of the box"? I also found that the Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver setting didn't work for me and I had to set this to false. Should rF2 be able to get the max rotation from Logitech Gaming Software?

Thanks!

2. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

Same problem here! Going through the json at the moment, many thanks for your post!

Some time later: yep, all is working after editing the .jason file in steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller\.
    With these settings
    "
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver":false,
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver#":"Whether to read the steering wheel rotation from the wheel driver, if possible",
    "Steering Wheel Range":900,
    "Steering Wheel Range#":"Degrees of steering wheel rotation, both visual and physical (if available)",
    "Steering Wheel Software Rotation":true,
    "
    all is well now. It's a brand new game! Many thanks to all concerned :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Haydn and suspectmonkey like this.
  3. suspectmonkey

suspectmonkey Registered

Glad you got sorted! I was just jumping on to share some screenshots of what I changed to get it working, but no need now I guess! I'll share them below anyway in case anyone else stumbles across this thread.

It might be worth documenting this more clearly somewhere, as it appears I'm not alone in taking some time to figure this out. If I'd just got rF2 and read in the release notes it has support for the G29/920 I wouldn't think to go and edit a JSON file to get it working correctly. It's seems strange the relevant section in the release notes doesn't even mention the G29.

\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Controller.JSON
    [​IMG]

rFactor 2 Options
    [​IMG]

Logitech Gaming Software
    [​IMG]

EsxPaul and claudiopolez like this.
  4. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

And again the G29 seems to be broken. No changes to files above make car specific wheel rotation possible, e.g. Formula2 car has 720 degrees again and so on. :(

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's not possible for a single wheel to not work with those settings. It either works or it doesn't, as it uses the same FFB you feel through the wheel. You must have a setting wrong, or you're not editing the file the game is using.

6. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

See for yourself:
    The g29 yetAgain file is edited the same way as post above
    [​IMG]
    Here it is selected and car specific option ticked:
    [​IMG]
    Here is incar view, my physical g29 wheel is turned at 90degrees here, the car registers only 45:
    [​IMG]

7. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

And my G29 settings:
    [​IMG]

8. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

Found the culprit! It was Difficulty > Steering Help>Low. No idea how it was changed from OFF, but it caused the problem. All good now, hope this helps someone in the future.

leillo1975 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.