Logitech G25 multiple calibration runs on boot-up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flaux, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hey Guys, since my pc upgrade my G25 calibrates 3-times during every boot-up. On my old rig it did it only once.

What is wrong? USB Setup in the Bios of the new Rig? I guess, but what's the cure?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Mine's always done it multiple times if I leave it plugged in, but it hasn't always done the full motion calibration (sort of interrupts itself, though I think that's varied across WinXP/7/10). No idea what BIOS setting might affect it.

3. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Thx guys. Well there are options to only enable USB Ports that are used for critical stuff during boot-up, such as a keyboard or the mouse. Might be that the bios thinks that my G25 is crucial (well, it is but...) and also activates it during the DOS boot up. Instead of only once, when actually in Win7. But I'm not sure if I can change such stuff in the UEFI...

Will try what John (hope you are fine :) ) suggested. Although not very convenient...

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

There was an update from m$ for win 8, wich affected the usb ports. I don`t know, if win 7 updates are involved in that, too. For me an update of the usb3 driver solved the problem (system was hanging on boot). By the way, the multiple calibrating was the reason why i built in a on/off switch into my g27 ;)

5. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Yes. On/Off would be great...

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Mine always did it twice on boot up, nothing to worry about.

7. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

All the better that it does, as the calibration procedure is also intended to clear the carbon from the motors stator....a good thing

8. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Sure, but it is horribly loud and violent. Hearing/seeing/feeling this for three times straight in a row every boot-up makes me go crazy.

9. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Try to resolve that condition as quickly as possible or the black gear cover inside the wheel will crack due to the stresses associated with slamming against the internal stops.
    I had to repair mine a few years back for that very reason.
    After fixing the cover, I overcame that condition by plugging a USB extension cable into the port on the back of the computer.
    I would then simply plug in the wheel AFTER the system was fully booted.
    For some yet to be determined reason, it would then only run it once. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

10. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

Can always unplug the usb cable and plug your wheel in only when you want to use it of course. I use a usb extension cable for just that purpose. Well I have 7 usb extension cables connected to all ports on the computer actually, as i am a lazy bastard and hubs just don't work well enough. How's your ffb working now? Have you played with "Steering torque extrap blend":0, I think its great for feeling more "texture" in the g27. I set mine at 0.8

11. Flaux

Flaux Registered

How did u know it was broken? Good idea btw.

Yes I will do something with the usb cable I guess. Sounds like the easiest way.

Was the "Steering torque extrap blend" question for me? Because I never tried this option before... :p

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just checked and my T300 also does it twice, must be a MOBO related thing, also I never suffered from broken a G25 after 4-5 years of use & double calibration start ups...must've been lucky!

13. Skan

Skan Registered

You should never ever leave usb devices with moving parts plugged in unless they are being used. You should never leave those same devices plugged in while restarting a pc. Turning Your pc off is not doing You any favors at all either. The $2 or $3 You save per month by doing that is not equal to the wear and tear on the electronics. It is much like turning a car off at every stop sign or stop light, things will go bad and you will wonder what is happening and have to look for a fix or worse. Unplug Your wheel, pedals, etc after every use, plug the wheel in prior to launching whatever You need that for. You will do slightly more work but You wont wear equipment out as fast.

14. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

Hi Flaux, sorry, yes the extrapolated blend query was for you. You were experimenting with different settings a while back using damper/spring settings which made some gains for g25/27 users so was wondering if you had tried that option.

The black gear referred to is the wheel encoder and it cracking is a very common occurrence on a g25 and g27. Its an interference fit piece of plastic on a metal shaft on one of the motors that gets hot with use. The more carbon build up in the stator, the more resistance in that circuit, the more heat created..etc ....Yes it happened to mine. First symptom is steering wheel not retaining center position and gets worse over time. Brass replacements are now available aftermarket.

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yep

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

My cracked plastic one is going fine. Albeit with some 'glue' (actually nail polish... not my own...)

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

It`s the question, to believe or not :p

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol