Logging Out-of-Realtime Physics Freezes [public-test]

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Oskart

Oskart Registered

It's not physics frozen, the car moves I can't see because it is frozen but I feel the ffb moving and when the game does not crash the car is some distance forward

2. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

3. Oskart

Oskart Registered

Did Someone of the staff help you? Did you fix it? I have turned down circuit detail from high to medium and disabled ia drivers, it seems to fix the issue, but I think my pc would be powerful enough to deal with this and looks like I was wrong

4. Jeferson Richart

I didn't get a response from Studio and didn't fix the problem. I left the Ferrari championship I was participating in, after having problems in the 5 races I played.
    I tried to change the graphics to the minimum and still had the problem.
    In other cars I don't have this problem.

I thought that when we posted the log here on this forum, someone from Studio would look to try and help us. I still hope for that.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

@Marcel Offermans @Christopher Elliott

6. Jeferson Richart

Had the problem again today, now with Audi R8 GT3 2019. Log attached.

Attached Files:

• Log.zip
      File size:
      2.5 MB
      Views:
  7. Jeferson Richart

I set up a server with 30 AIs to run several tests this weekend.
    Tried current and old video drivers, changing settings on Nvidia panel and Oculus and never managed to finish a race without the issue occurring.
    The only thing that changed this and allowed me to finish a race without the problem occurring was using the OpenOVR plugin, which allows me to use rFactor 2 without SteamVR.

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/blob/master/README.md

The only problem I found using this plugin is that the rF2 crashes when the server calls Next Race.

In internet research I found several reports of people who have this type of freeze in other games, using the Rift, an Nvidia 1000 series card and SteamVR. I believe it is an incompatibility of this scenario.

I don't know how difficult this is, but if the rF2 could have this type of plugin developed by Studio 397, it would be of great value to the VR community, because besides avoiding problems with SteamVR, the performance is better.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not sure if this was seen, but I have forwarded it on to see if there's anything we can do about it. Thanks for both reporting and coming back with your workaround.

Jeferson Richart likes this.
  9. redapg

redapg Registered

@Marcel Offermans May i remember you at this?
    That Post from you is from 29 March 2019 and when i look at the Dates from the last Posts and how much have been posted in the last Months, i think it is Time to do what you have said: to make the logging optional, don't you think?
    I still think that i'm not the only one that would appreciate to get the Option to completely deactivate that Logging.
    I still really don't see the Problem, to leave everything as it is now, with the Logging enabled by Default and just add a Setting, with that it can be completely Deactivated.
    So please do what you have said.
    Thank you.

MileSeven and atomed like this.
  10. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

sorry, but is this what this thread is about? freeze happens at minute 14:03.

if it is, for the love of god, it's 2023 and the game still freezes like that for a lot of people?

i just installed it and it's impossible to have a session without it happening... i guess i have to find another sim and accept all the money down the drain.

11. Paolo Pennimpede

Paolo Pennimpede Registered

And good bye to you too

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I would say that kind of freeze is unusual. It is a physics freeze though (not a graphics freeze/crash, which the other thread you posted in is about). For me if they happen they're maybe 0.2-0.5s in length. (my DAMPlugin will usually capture the pause duration thanks to the resulting data mismatch)

Evidently they're less frequent than they were when this thread was created, and therefore may be more specific to particular hardware/software anomalies.

Paolo Pennimpede likes this.
  13. Alexandre Martini

well, the video i posted is 3 weeks old and the freeze lasted 6 seconds.

14. redapg

redapg Registered

How do you know that "a lot of People" do have it?
    You are the first one who reports it here since more than 2 Years.

But thank you for reporting it, because it reminds me to again ask for the Possibility to completely deactivate this Logging (after all!), as it was announced Years ago by @Marcel Offermans .
    Maybe @Devin or @Alex Sawczuk or @Coutie ?

M Lynn and DJCruicky like this.
  15. Paolo Pennimpede

Paolo Pennimpede Registered

I had many micro stuttering on Imola last week, I tried everything, lowering all the graphic settings, disabling the replay, and other stuff but nothing. Almost every turn a micro stutter.

I was starting to reinstall RF2 from scratch but I checked my nvidia drivers and I don't know why, I had nvidia studio driver instead of nvidia game ready driver, maybe I messed up something at last driver update.

Now, after installing the Game Ready Driver all is working fine, no more stuttering.

Alexandre Martini likes this.
  16. Alexandre Martini

sorry, i do not know how many people are still having it, i was wrong.

17. Comante

Comante Registered

There are a lot of possible cause of CTDs and freeze and so on, it may be difficult to find the root cause, but usually is possible.
    I depend if you are willing to search for a solution or prefer to complain hoping a solution will fall out of the sky.
    Unfortunately PC are not consoles, and none is created equal. I would check OUTSIDE RF2 to begin: do you use other software during driving? are your hardware peripheral updated and configured correctly? Have you checked with resource manager what hang the system?
    A lot of questions.
    But one thing I can say to you: in those almost 12 years RFactor2 made HUGE leaps in stability and reliability. For YEARS I was unable to drive a race because the system crashed every time I hit ESCAPE. You know, it quite difficult using RF2 without hitting escape. Partly it was a known bug, but partly it was a problem on my part... at some point I tried to reinstall from scratch... and puf! the bug was gone.

Alexandre Martini likes this.
  18. Alexandre Martini

i've disabled as much as possible any software that could be interfering, i've monitored their activity and none uses my CPU that much for a game to hang... i also keep my firmware and drivers as updated as possible... there are no entries in the event viewer other than the game has stopped working (no meaninful message).

my system runs games that are far more demanding than rF2, but i'm doing a fresh install of windows on a different SSD just to make sure.

thanks for your help, i'll keep investigating, since rF2 always worked for me, can't complain, awesome sim!

19. Comante

Comante Registered

If it may help you: I've recently discovered that windows continuously poll USB devices to see if something has been plugged / unplugged.
    In DCS (so not related to RF2) this can lead to a plethora of bugs, so much that they put the option to disable it while DCS is running.
    If things happen always after a certain time, I suspect there is some sort of scheduled operation that somehow mess with RF2.
    Do you use a USB HUB ? Have you tried to swap device / USB ports. On my part, prior to buy a new device (trustmaster hotas) never had problems... after plugging it.... complete mess.

20. Alexandre Martini

I play DCS too, yeah, the USB f ups are really common in windows. I'm aware of that.

No hub in this machine, but I swapped the wheel a few times now, it's a csw v2, so there's a history for this model with USB too.

I tried the DDU in the most aggressive possible config to no avail. Next step is a full system wipe later today.

If that doesn't solve it, I will start trying switching HW components, starting with the PSU. Will still be cheaper than giving up on all the amazing content I have in rf2. :)

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, not sure if this was the right place to keep talking.