Lofting technique on ovals

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by jpalesi, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Hi,

So for Indianapolis, I'm making the late 80's early 90's version with the apron, but I have a problem : it has crazy bumps in the banking (and the banking only). With the '95 version already released, it's a little better but it's still too bumpy.

The road mesh resolution is good (2x2m in the turns). Since it doesn't happen on the straights nor with rF, I don't think it's related to the tdf.
    I believe it's because I'm doing something wrong with the twist deformation. Any ideas, please ?

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Try again with smaller RaceSurface objects. Just cut them up into smaller pieces. When they become too large you get crazy bumps.

The mesh resolution sounds fine. For Nazareth I have a resolution of about 1.1m x 1.9m (width x length) in the turns, but I intentionally went for narrower polys to have greater fidelity in RealRoad across the track and more accurate grooves.

If cutting the objects up doesn't help let me know.

3. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Thanks for the answer ;)

In fact, it was not the big RaceSurface object problem (which I experienced in the past), but really a problem in max.
    Previously, I had one big loft for the whole track (and then cutted it into pieces), but following your idea I tried to do the lofting on one section instead of the whole track at once, and it seemed to work.
    Now I'm rebuilding the whole track to make sure it's really working.

4. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

While experimenting with Daytona and Martinsville I came across that issue a lot of times when my RaceSurface was only 1 polygon wide. It seems to be something with Max or rF calculating the surface.

I got rid of that by just increasing the resolution wide-wise. No futher adjustments, just selected the edges, conected them and exported, and the car ran smoothly throught the surface.